NaNoWriMo 2007 Support Thread!

A general writing-based forum- stories, poetry and the like, as well as roleplays and Werewolf signups.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

NaNoWriMo 2007 Support Thread!

Post by Jessi »

We attempted this last year, and it failed big time. However, I'm attempting to do it again - and this time I'm going to keep the thread alive and bother you all to post here!

If you don't know what NaNo is, hop over to http://www.nanowrimo.org/ and check it out. Here's a quick synopsis: NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month, is a challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November - so 30 days. It's totally based on honor system (well, you 'submit' your novel for an official count at the end, but you could always just copy and paste 'the' 50,000 times :P), and you don't actually 'win' anything, except a huge feeling of jubilation when you type that last word - or at least I do! XD

This'll be my 5th year doing NaNo and my 4th year winning it. Yes, I've already projected myself winning it again this year. I get so into it xD

Anyway, here's my uh, NaNo info! Feel free to add yours! And lets get ready for a month of supporting each other through crazy noveling!

My username on NaNo is uh, jessibean (wow, shocker), and my profile is here. For the 4th year in a row, I'm doing a story based on Ragnarok Online. I know that probably sounds lame, but if any of you have played RO, you know it's virtually plotless. (I just made that word up!) Seriously, though. Over the near-five years I've been playing RO, I've grown really attached to my characters, and they all have heavily-developed personalities, histories, appearances, etc, so it's really easy for me to get into all that while writing. Pretty much the only parts of RO I use anyway are the names of cities and the job classes xD

So! Who else is participating in NaNo this year? It starts in two days - hooray!

User Profiles
Jessibean - http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/16347
Joey - http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/126623
Oogabooga - http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/39055
Enrianna - http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/81978
Fjorab - http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/251034
Gomababe - http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/243134
Last edited by Jessi on 04 Nov 2007 08:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oogabooga

Re: NaNoWriMo 2007 Support Thread!

Post by oogabooga »

I probably will... but I have grad school applications to do and I've really been procrastinating on those. But I do have a plot, so that's a good start.

I'm going to be retelling a fairy tale, but since I felt like all the good fairy tales have been done already, I'm writing one of my own. It'll be the prologue. There's an evil magician who made three magic keys (I still haven't figured out what kind the silver one opens) and the hero of the fairy tale needs all three to get the magic sword to slay the dragon and save the kingdom. In the novel, the magician is female, isn't evil, and made the keys in a momentary fit of rage with her lover, a knight or something similar, and he's the one who has to find them all to win back her love.

I hope that doesn't sound stupid. But it's Nano anyway, it doesn't really matter >_> My username there is oogabooga (surprise!)
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Yeah, I'm gonna try it again this year. With the same story I tried and failed with last year. Only hopefully it will be better because I have a plot and stuff.

So there's like a war going on between these two big kingdoms, and this group of rebels ends up kidnapping a princess of one nation and picking up a mercenary and an angry knight. And everything goes wrong from there. So far only my mage has a name, I call him Arc.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I keep seeing you make this thread and keep feeling the urdge to try it myself but always found myself busy or in writers block. I think this time I'll give it a try. Hopefully it'll give me a push to get the stories I want done.
I pretty much want to tell the back stories of the charaters I rp. I have quiet a few of them so I'm not sure which one I'll do for this. I might do my vampire Scythe since I've already started typeing up his story. HIs story is pretty much about being raised by his father, the vampire king, trying to be forced to be like his father but falling in love and tearing away from his father. Then he has to go through a lot of trials before he finds his true love. That's the main set of it, still working on what all he goes through.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

Whee!

I participated last year, but managed to get about three pages done. :P

This time, I have much more hope, because I have a plot and numerous concepts within it to explore.

I've never won NanNo, but participate (at least mentally) each year, so I'm hoping for at least more than three pages. ;)

My profile thing is here. Story info there.

Can't wait for it to start!
Teragram

Post by Teragram »

Ooga, that sounds really cool! I love fairy tale retellings and stuff, and that sounds classic and really original. I'm already interested.

I'm always attracted by the concept of Nano, but I have no plot or story ideas whatsoever. *shrugs* I know I should just put fingers to keyboard and get something started, but I don't have any motivation without an interesting idea.
Spivsy

Post by Spivsy »

Trying it again with the same story I had last year. Last november was pretty hectic for me, so I only did about 7000 words. Hoping to do a lot better this year.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Hmm I've never tried this before but it sounds interesting. I may not (read: probably won't) get to 50k words, but its gives me an excuse to write a story, so all's good anyway :D
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

My very first year I didn't get to 50k words - I think I got to about 30k or so - but even then, just the fact you took it on is a huge accomplishment. I don't know why I torture myself every November with this, except that I just absolutely love to do it xD

The only thing irking me right now is their website is EXTREMELY slow lately. I've never seen it this bad. Hopefully they fix it up as word counts start - after all, I believe it's already November 1st in Australia and what not.

So is everyone who's participating ready for tomorrow? Glee! Am I the only person who is crazy and going to start the second midnight strikes in my timezone? XD
EofS

Post by EofS »

Jessibean wrote:Am I the only person who is crazy and going to start the second midnight strikes in my timezone? XD
Yes, but we love you anyway ;0)

Can't see myself ever doing Nano really - I'm one of those apparently rare people who's never really had any desire to write a novel. I might do the script version one year though, as a way of hammering out one of the handful of play/film ideas I have in my head. Then go back and polish it properly into something worth producing.
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

Jessibean wrote:Am I the only person who is crazy and going to start the second midnight strikes in my timezone? XD
You are not alone, Jessi. ;)
ladynight6

Post by ladynight6 »

I'm not sure whether or not I should be taking part. I'm busy this year, but last year NaNo really helped me push forward with my story. Sadly though I've forgotten my screen name. :S I'll see how I feel tomorrow about NaNo. Or this weekend.

But hey good luck to ya'll taking part! :D *huggles*
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

I wasn't going to start at midnight, but then I got invited to a group chat with other Utah people around 10:30, so I stayed, and I have now written 1096 words. And now I'm going to bed.
gomababe

Post by gomababe »

I might just do something this year. No idea about the plot yet but I'll probably stick to what I know {fantasy and Dyspraxia :P, how I'm going to fit both of those together I have no idea yet...}. i'm only going to aim for a few thousand as I'm waiting to start a voluntary programme this month and i've no idea how much free time I'll be getting.

ETA: completely forgot to add my username ^_^;. It's Aquadestiny. I'm still in the final planning phase so I haven't wirrten anything yet >_>
Last edited by gomababe on 01 Nov 2007 01:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I still can't get into my account cause my email is all funked up from not clearing out spam for 4 and a half months. Bleh. My biggest problem with Nano is I'm totally crashed from Halloween. Like here I am still p at 5 am cause I needed to get pictures of my pumpkins. Mmm.