The Neocolours Virtual Pet Project (Lots of words)

A general writing-based forum- stories, poetry and the like, as well as roleplays and Werewolf signups.
oogabooga

Re: The Neocolours Virtual Pet Project (Lots of words)

Post by oogabooga »

Money - sort of a minor point, but I'd really like to not have the currency be called anything -points or -credits or -cash. We should be able to think of something more interesting - paper clips, maybe. Or make up a word. Or use an obscure real-world currency.
Madge

Post by Madge »

PETS:
Am I the only one who wants the pet species to be named "Generic Canine Pet", "Generic Avian Pet", "Generic Centaur Pet", etc? I think it'd make them a lot easier to remember. Then we could call them GenericPets.

And Generic X Pet would only be the default colour. When your Generic Avian Pet becomes an eagle, it's suddenly called an Eagle.

OK perhaps it's a bit gimmicky. Maybe on the create a pet it can be called Generic Canine Pet and then later you find out it's called a Dogineusinto. Or perhaps anagrams! Like Canine = Enacin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Oh wow, I've been following the thread and I just gotta say: you guys are coming up with lots of seriously awesome stuff. :D If a NC petsite was ever made, it would totally rule all overs. Thumbs up.

Man you guys are coming up with so many ideas I can't even really think of anything else interesting to add. XD

oogabooga wrote:Money - sort of a minor point, but I'd really like to not have the currency be called anything -points or -credits or -cash. We should be able to think of something more interesting - paper clips, maybe. Or make up a word. Or use an obscure real-world currency.
What about something like Notes? :3 Or Rounds (like round coins) or Flats (flat paper bills)?
The Art | The Site

MapleStory:
Broa: Axiqa, Lanatia | Windia: Pyeam
Mardia: Freajya, Xeail | Kradia: Qalara, Niartia, Sekhari

[[ So many characters, so little time to Maple ]]
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Madge No, I mean yes. I mean, stop being funny! This is serious business! :x

I think we should save the naming until after we finish creating a species. Other than Gen X Pets, omg Madge that is so wrong, I don't think it would work out. Unless, we named the pets after each other. Maybe anagrams of our real or online names? Special.

Money I like the rial, which was the currency of Morocco, the best out of the historical currencies I looked up on wikipedia. One rial. Two rial. A billion rial. Nice and short so it wouldn't need to be abbreviated either. I also like leptons(just because), florins(pretty), and ryo(short).

Life, the Universe, and Everything I have an idea for the futuristic high tech world. Not as a good as the botanicals, but I can flesh it out later. Instead of making the moon the high tech world, I'd make it out in the middle of a vast wasteland, much like our moon. There could be a huge alien spaceship the crash landed, and the impact eradicated much of the surrounding area. Above ground, the ship would charred and eroded, but below ground it would almost be fully intact. Using the ship as a base, there'd be this huge underground labyrinth of caves and tunnels. Maybe they mine things to power their city and repair their ship. Only most of the aliens would be civilians and not engineers and technicians and wouldn't exactly know how to fix a freaking spaceship. Refugees from some colony far, far away. Or maybe their home world was destroyed. Regardless, there's no going back.

Did I mention that they have jetpacks? Because they do and jetpacks are cool. And robots? Yes, I said I claim the robots earlier.

They would have crashed long enough ago for no one to remember when it happened. 500 years maybe? Half the survivors would stay with the ship and build a home there, and the others would go out into the world and party with the natives. You'd find the aliens that left hanging out in just about every world. The others you'd rarely see, and they'd be easy to spot since they always wore masks in public. They wouldn't be as secretive as the botanicals, the underground city would have tons of traffic, but they wouldn't let too many into their ship. Partly because it's their home, and mostly because they don't want people messing around with crap they don't understand. Maybe their maks would connect them to their version of the internet. Kinda like those uber geeky 3d display glasses and the Predator mask. Anyway, the super duper secret is that humans are the aliens! No little green men or grays, not that they couldn't be pets or other races, but I personally think it'd be neat to be the "alien invaders" for once and a fun way to explain our existence in the world.

Or not.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I like that! Maybe we could work the financial disctrict and gambling games in there, too; it would make sense that humans would set up banks and trades and auctions and gambling and all that other stuff, because we loooove money. ;)
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Oh oh! Instead of the firey flamey sort of color (I assume there would be a fire), how about itd be magma/lava instead?..Maybe there could be a water (Lol, Liquidator) , or an earthrock one too. Hell, all the elements, really.
Image Image
ImageImage
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

How would we make the pet colors work? As I stated in my first post, I love the idea of Generic Bird becoming a crow/snowy owl/swan/blue jay/whatever based on what color you paint it. It could even work as a reborn/fire color, as it could be a phoenix. However, how would Generic Dog work as a fire pet? How would we make it overgrown/botanical? Would we just style the redraw on the base/common dog, or would we pick a breed (flaming papillon, hee -- oh man, though; those ears would look awesome on fire) and do it that way?

I do think that there should be no such thing as basic recolors. Who needs a generic dog in brown, white, orange, pink, green and purple? Every single color for a pet should be in a brand new pose. Instead of a black generic bird, make it a crow. Instead of blue, make it a blue jay. Instead of yellow, make it a fluffy chick... you get the idea. Yay? Nay? Have a better idea?
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

MONEY
I was thinking that the separate lands could have their own currency. Or at least they'd all have separate names for money. real world ex.:Lira, pounds, yen

Or maybe just the more different lands (underwater, cave people land, ancient greco/roman) could have a different type of currency because of where they're located or the time frame the land is located in. Then, the lands that are supposed to take place in modern time would all use basically the same currency.

It's probably overly complicated and impractical, but I liked the idea, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Life, the Universe, and Everything
The 'ancient' lands could be on their own separate continent or at least a certain area of the map could be alotted for these lands. My idea is that these lands could be surrounded by some kind of time dilation field or whatever's plausible, that keeps them locked into an age of antiquity. Something similar could happen with 'Futuristic' land except that it would continue going forward in time.

Land Themes (just some ideas I liked):
* Ancient Greece/Rome
* Far East: Ancient, or modern times
* Native American
* Atlantis type
* Arabian- Think Aladdin, djinns, and/or belly dancers
* African desert type/Egypt
* Medieval/Arthurian Legend
* Ancient Babylon/Persian Empire
* Far Future (year 5,000 and up)
* Dawn of Man cave people type place/Early primitive
* Tropical Rain Forest
* Underground- I'm envisioning gems everywhere. Like, diamonds looking like stars and what not. Maybe I've been reading too many Hades/Persephone stories. lol
-----------------
Cranberry- I love your coloring idea. I really think that's the way to go. It allows for a ton of creativity.
Last edited by Gumdrops on 04 Feb 2008 06:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elfwoman99

Post by Elfwoman99 »

LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING
I like the idea of making the avatars but having it so you can interact with or without them.
Also, making humans the aliens would be great.

I agree that I would rather not have anthro species. And that it would be nice to make it less cartoony, and aimed at older people. Not aimed to be cute.

COLORS:
Elements like this?
Fire -- more like Reborn than Fire/Inferno
Earth -- your pet becomes a stone statue or earth elemental version of its species. Like the old Stone color of Neopets, except not a colorfill. And each species could be made out of a different type of stone?
Air -- a bit like the Featherlight idea, but with wings, so it can fly. This adds variety to the species (there is a wingless and a winged unicorn, etc.) without slapping random wings on the Common versions of things.
Water -- an aquatic version of each species, but capeable of travelling on land (like Hydrus)

The regional (Asian/European/Egyptian/whatever and Desert/Forest/Savannah/Arctic) colors wouldn't have established color schemes, just adaptation to a particular habitat or integration into a particular culture's or Earth region's version of an animal. Another example: Elephant Species can become a mammoth (arctic), an Asian elephant, or an African elephant. You'd have to invent European, forest, desert, etc. versions, but they would look like reasonable adaptations. Also, the East Asian version of Bear Species can be a panda!

Other possible colors (just throwing out ideas):
*Forsaken or equivalent evil color
*Rabid. Like Misticpets Terror color, except instead of being simply angry and marked with red Xs, it is actually rabid, foaming at the mouth, and maybe with mange as well. Like a mixture of Terror with a bit of Graveyard thrown in. Diseased, but not undead.
*Cyborg, possibly with side effects because the surgery isn't entirely safe.
*Camouflage -- this could be a colorfill color similar to how Neopets did some of the spotted pets, except it would include other patterns as well, such as stripes. A canine species might look like an African wild dog, a feline species might have spots, an equine species could have stripes, etc. Each species would have a distinct pattern and colors, but all would be the sort of pretty camouflage patterns that real mammals have. Obviously some would be fantastic, such as a striped bear.
*Tropical -- maybe this would fit more as a regional rainforest color. But it would be the opposite of camouflage. Multiple bright colors, like tropical birds and poison frogs, but for all species. This could be a colorfill, or a redraw color that turns the pet into a tropical species, such as a Bird Species becoming a bright parrot or even better, a bird of paradise.
*Cubic -- like your pet was rotated out of phase with three dimensional space and now it is really distorted. Or maybe not. Would anybody actually want this?
*Prehistoric -- like Tyrannian, except not any cave men with clubs and clothes. Some of the Tyrannian pets sort of did this, but it would be done more scientifically. A gryphon would have clawed wings and teeth for example, the bear species could like like an Amphicyon, an equine species would have multiple toes and stuff. The elephant species wouldn't be a mammoth (especially if that is already the Arctic version of it) but would instead turn into a shovel-tusker, or something like that. A Deer Species could become one of those species that had about six horns, plus another horn on its nose. Even dinosaurs could turn into earlier dinosaurs related to the same kind. For example, a Triceratops Species could turn into a Protoceratops. Even if there are multiple bird or feline or canine species, there are enough prehistoric animals to make each one distinct.

PET SPECIES
Could there be a big flightless bird? Like an emu or moa? The Desert version could be an ostrich or emu, the Tropical one could be a cassowary... the Forest one could even be a kiwi.
Last edited by Elfwoman99 on 30 Oct 2009 09:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

For the Generic animals, the firey dog could be something akin to a Hell Hound. Overgrown could be Dogwood (hehe). They wouldn't always have to be based on real animals I would guess.

I really do like the idea of the generic pets changing names with color though! Not sure I like the idea of /each/ color being a redraw though, as that seems a bit time consuming. We could still make them look more unique then just coloring it plain old blue (aka it could have blue jay markings) but it would still be in the standard pose. But hey, I'm not an artist so if whoever the artist is wants to make a redraw for each color, I'm not going to stop ya :P
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Pet and petpet/minion colors
Yeah, maybe I'm not understanding right, but I kinda like recolours. I mean, If I wanted a brown popoko, does that mean I'd have to end up with some other variation of squirrel that I may not like? If I have a generic dog pet that looks like a greyhound, does that mean I could end up with a German shephard if I wanted to make it black?

I was thinking we'd have all the basic colorfils, with a common color for each species. Like how the common color for the slorg is already green, so a green paint brush would merely turn it back to normal, but a purple one would make it purple. So green would be the "common" color for the slorg, in the same sense that blue would be the common color for a puppyblew. You'd create a pet and it would come in one color, then the single basic colorfils would be free or close to it later on. Then there'd be more complex colorfils like nuclear, dusk, or checkered. Maybe they'd require you to do something simple like buy a potion/paintbrush. Then there'd be the redraws like botanical, robot, or elemental, which would require you do some sort of mini quest to obtain. Those would be the ones as Elwoman mentioned, that would be open to just about any interpretation. Like how the faerie lenny is a peacock, but is still recognizably a lenny.

Life, the Universe, and Everything Yay! I'm glad someone likes my idea. It's really just an excuse to think up designs for cute spacesuits with jetpacks. Hee. That's it from me though. I mean, I think there should maybe be 3 or 4 races of "people" with their own worlds, then 10 or so that are run by pet species. Like how Meridell is run by Skarl, or Maraqua by koi and other aquatic pets.

Oh, and I want the koala thing to be native to the botanical garden world and the humans get a robot species and the robot/cybernetic pet color. And the kiwi! I have strange visions of koalas riding kiwis, chocobo style. Why yes, I am selfish, but I called them first!
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

Mmmm.... I'm not sure how gung-ho I'd be on every pet having a possible 15-20 different specie types depending on color. I just think it would cause a huge pain to the artists (having to re-draw all these different animals), and for some animals - like a bear, there are only so many new species of colors you could have. And what if someone wanted the common pet as say... the botanical color, and not whatever it morphed into?

I dunno. Maybe there's some way around this or something. I just don't know if I'd want my cuddly panda to turn into a polar bear if I colored him 'arctic' or something. :S
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Pet and petpet/minion colors
I like colorfills, too; they add a lot of variety. If you love the linework of a pet but don't care for the basic color, then you're left with customizing the image yourself and hoping you can css it over the actual pet image.... I'd rather just have my pet be the color I want it to be. For instance, I love the basic Montre pose, but I really, really prefer the Arid color scheme on them. If everything is a redraw, then redraws are less special... or something... I dunno, but I do know that if every pet color were a redraw, it'd be really hard on the artists. ^_^;

Also, regarding colors, we need one or more that are "gross" in some way. I like Elfwoman's rabid color idea--I want rabid pets! *ponders that out of virtual context and shrugs*

Anyway, I also want something that shows bones. Can we have, like, a bone color? Where it's just the skeleton of the pet species? That could end up pretty hilarious if we had any invertebrate species--just a fluid-filled bladder or something. ;P But I would so own pets that were nothing more than skeletons. I know you're all already aware of that.

Also, fire is fiery.
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Well duh, there'd be zombie pets. Jeebus, Ty, how could there not be?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

But I want them now! ^_^
Image Image