Halloween and Checkered Scorchios

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Purr

Halloween and Checkered Scorchios

Post by Purr »

ImageImage

Well, I do like the idea for the halloween. The eyes are awesome, and the wearables are really nice. As for the random (but not-so random) teeth and... even stranger, overgrown body hair, huh? I got the impression of Jekyll and Hyde, but then again, I don't really read/watch monster books/movies XD The base color is nice though... if not for the hair. What bugs me though, is the random spike sticking out from its hat (can't they hide that, like the RG gelert's ears?) and that the spikes are the same grey, not the dark grey of the wings.

Checkered is checkered. Contours nicely on body, not so for the wings :/ BUT then again, the wings are always flat XD
Last edited by Purr on 13 Mar 2010 02:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
EofS

Re: Halloween and Checkered Scorchios

Post by EofS »

Halloween is very interesting. I like it a lot. The facial expression is a bit... it's like a painfully forced grin for the camera. But the clothes are lovely. I would definitely consider this for a doublepaint and it would be great as a Neovian pet. (Although... much as I like the rakish angle, I'm having to pacify myself by saying that it's being held on with elastic.)

Checkered has a pleasing colour scheme and everything seems to follow the curves of the scorchio fairly logically which is always a huge plus with this brush. It's not going to set my world on fire, but then it's a checkered scorchio so I don't expect it to.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Halloween is impressive. Something about it says "MM would own this..." The eyes are Beetlejuice-looking, and I love it! Good concept, something for it to hold, and a much better pet than expected for 2.0 overall. *wonders if the hair and hat come off together or seperately*

Checkered is a very neglected color, and rightfully so. I forgot the brush existed until this color refreshed my memory. I like the belly, and that's pretty much it.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
luvas

Post by luvas »

Despite the Checkered Scorchio being a good Checkered pet, it's still Checkered, a color so unnatural and out of place that I'm biased against it. However...

...That, is one PIMPIN' Scorchio.

At first I thought it was Zombie because of the pale colours and 19th Century Clothing, but I am nonetheless highly impressed! First off, he's got an awesome Top Hat (The jutting horn is easy to ignore), and fancy, slightly tattered suit (Nice details!), that conforms perfectly to the Scorchio's body. But it only gets better: he's got old-man hairy knuckles (And feet...?), bushy eyebrows, and a creepy, maniacal glare. The dark grey used is also on his eyespots, wingspots, and part of the suit. But the best part, he even comes equipped with a handheld item - a skull cane - that totally completes the look. Hand held items are unprecedented with new Paint Brush colours since Conversion so long ago. You can tell someone put effort into this pet, and in the end it is definitely a strong victory for Customization as a whole.

I'll have to give myself this artist a PRRROMOTION!
Faun

Post by Faun »

wow. Halloween is EPIC. I want one. I love the skull cane and the suit. this would make an awesome crosspaint.

checkered on the other hand, is boring. I really don't see a point in this colour. I suppose SOMEONE wants it.
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Plushie Lenny

Post by Plushie Lenny »

Checkered. Yawn, although it is one of the better checkered pets out there
Halloween doesn't really make sense to me, but i love the cane!
And i think it will grow on me XD
Laniv

Post by Laniv »

Checkered is boring.
Halloween on the other hand is awesome! I wonder what it looks like without its clothes.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Halloween is an odd 'un - for instance the Vicotrian-era (or, as E's pointed out, Neovian-style) clothing and the weird fur on the hands and feet (An American Were-Scorchio in London?). And the weird, weird teeth! At least it's got a cane to fill its fist o' doom (but to what species does the skull belong? My first thought was 'Death of Rats' from Discworld) Position of hat is unfortunate (is there a technical reason why it can't cover the horn?) but I'd love to see it without the clothes on, if anyone could oblige? (alternatively how much is a Halloween paint brush these days?)

And... hooray for Checkered!I know, I know, it's just a colourfill, but as colourfills go I think this is a very well-realised design - the artist has made sure checks are scaled and stretched to match the contours of the Scorchio, and it's given the arms and tail an appearance of thickness (or, er, girth) that's often lacking in a Checkered pet.

(I apologise for the abundance of parentheses in this post.)

EDIT: Thanks Lark for posting the nekkid Scorchy. Shame the hair/funny eyebrow goes with the clothes (but not the hand/foot hair). Those little patches look very peculiar just on the hands/feet.
Last edited by Kantark on 13 Mar 2010 09:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

Just the base if anyone's interested. (Credit: NTWF)
Thank you for the av and sig set!
Larkspurlane @ neo
varii

Post by varii »

Scorchios are one of those pets that suffer from just being plain old ugly, but Halloween is a really nice colour for people who like them. It actually hits all of the marks for a fancy colour that I look for; Is the fist of doom being put to use? Yes. Are there multiple clothing pieces that would be easy to work into other looks? Yes. Is the base interesting/does it have some sort of expression on its face? Yes. If this were a Usul or Kacheek I'd be the first in line to get one.
rei @ neopets
SonarDragon

Post by SonarDragon »

Oh god that Scorchio is so awesome, I must have one some day.

Checkered's not bad, I just hate the colour in general.
Gibblywibbly

Post by Gibblywibbly »

If I cared for Scorchio's at all, I would totally get a Halloween Scorchio named Pimpzilla.

Just a thought.
Miltank is the coolest pokemon.
ChrisCool

Post by ChrisCool »

Hello, I'm pretty sure this Halloween Scorchio is base on Dr Jeckyl and Mister Hyde.

No mistakes possible when you look at this type of movie picture :
Spoiler: open/close
Duke of Earl

Post by Duke of Earl »

ChrisCool wrote:Hello, I'm pretty sure this Halloween Scorchio is base on Dr Jeckyl and Mister Hyde.

No mistakes possible when you look at this type of movie picture :
Spoiler: open/close
While I agree, the style is however the general style of the entirety of city-Brits for many decades, not Jeckl&Hyde specific.
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

It's Mr. Hyde. It's not just about the suit, but the overgrown teeth and the hairy hands and feet along with the suit can't really be anything else Halloweeny.