Camouflage and Relic Hissi

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
daisybell

Camouflage and Relic Hissi

Post by daisybell »

Image Image

For once, a sensible colour palette for Camo, albeit a very boring and muddy one. And somehow, I had always thought of the Hissi as moving through sand, though plenty of snakes live in other environments too.

It's interesting that Relic is smaller- is that just the news image, or are Relic pets really smaller? And how does that work with clothing?

Also:ImageImage
They used the pre-customisation pose for Maraquan, but the new one for Plushie (both pets were grandfathered, so there is something of an inconsistency). Why does the plushie need a fist o'doom?
Neopets wishlists: here
Xelio

Re: Camouflage and Relic Hissi

Post by Xelio »

I rather like the colors used on camo, but I'm just not sure about the execution. Relic is a bit of a letdown, as the color is in general. Sure, there's some nice shading and all, but do the pets all have to be a similar type of stone? How about some marble pets, or pets with moss on 'em? I'm sure I've seen someone here mention similar ideas before and I agree.

As for the size, I don't think the pets appear to be smaller in customization windows, but then, I've never seen a relic pet on the site with the base. It could throw things off.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Blah and blah. I wish transitions between colours on camo where sharper and clearer. Feels messy. Relic is just unexciting.

Hissi day clothes are nice though. Especially female ones.

Image Image

*Plushie hissi plushie is oddly adorable :D
Last edited by zebru on 03 May 2010 08:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
EofS

Post by EofS »

I think it's just smaller in order to fit in the 150px news image. They're never the same size in the news as they are in any image on the site, they just shrink the overall pose to fit best within 150x150.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

The Relic Hissi looks pleasant enough, though ironically the highlights around its edges make it look more shiny than the Gold Lupe we had the other day. It looks glistening, as if wet.

The Camouflage I like, despite looking like it stood too close to a puddle when a car drove by. There's a little something that irks me, though:

In the two circled areas it looks like the hissi has been coloured like a flat image - the camouflage pattern doesn't follow the body/tail/wing geometry. I concede it could just be unlucky that similarly-coloured blotches were in adjacent areas but they do seem to line up suspiciously well. It makes the tail especially look awkward.
Last edited by Kantark on 03 May 2010 08:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Haken

Post by Haken »

They're rather nice. Though I think the Relic Hissi is my least favourite of the Relics so far. The way they did the highlighting looks rather odd to me. It also looks like the image was coloured and shaded differently than the others. At least to me, the Cybunny and Shoyru looked like they had hints of gradient shading, wehre as the hissi, just looks different O.o

Camo is nice, well the colours are, but I do agree, it irks me that it doesn't look like it follow the contours of the body...
I have a feeling it really was coloured like a flat image...
Faun

Post by Faun »

I like the colours on camo, and relic is kinda boring. the plushies and clothes are nice too.
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Snowager

Post by Snowager »

I love them both. Camo looks like it could blend in with sand, relic is awesome, and the clothes are the bomb. I want to get a Hissi and paint it camo now.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

I'm on the minority and actually like the Camouflage. I dunno, it gives it that rustic feel of being in the woods. Or a desert (maybe). I wish they had done a realistic Spotted though. ;-;

Relic is rather bleh, but unfortunately, that's all it'll ever be for me.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I will probably never get over the whole glass/ice//stone/relic thing. Otherwise, Relic is OK. It does make the odd shading look even more awkward now.

Camo - eh, i could have seen it as something with a rattlesnake or sidewinder (for sand) type patterning, but i suppose that wouldn't mix well with the normal Hissi spots. It's a little confusing to look at, but that's part of the point of real camouflage. I'm neither impressed nor put off by it.
Jax
Human Avatar: 475124

Post by Jax »

Camo, despite it's very nice colour scheme, just looks flat to me. It took me a few moments to realize it even had shading

As for Relic, ugh. I dislike Relic. It's one of those colours I think could be awesome, but it seems poorly executed. I know we've only got three pets with it so far but they all look exactly the same.
luvas

Post by luvas »

And so the Royal Hissi is once again denied existence to the Neopian Public. The verdict on the Jetsam and Kiko, however, remain to be seen.

ImageImage

Upon a closer look, I actually find the new Hissi Colours to be acceptable, but now that someone mentioned it, I cannot un-see the Camouflage Hissi as a White Hissi covered in mud. Relic looks better in the small, blurred image than the clear one on the News page.

ImageImage

At least we get a set of Usukiboy 'Musketeer' clothing for the Hissi...Although I'd rather see the this year's and last year's female Hissi clothes on a human rather than a snake...I guess people where I'm from just don't have that kinda taste. :|
Crystalame

Post by Crystalame »

Oh MAN. Am I the only person who saw the female Hissi clothes and immediately thought "Lady Gaga"? That in itself makes me want a Hissi. XD

I think both colors are decent. I have a soft spot for Relic, boring or not, and Camouflage, as the OP said, is a sensible color, if not a little boring. It does seem flat though.
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

The Censor Bar Glasses + New Hissi Dress and Accessories = Instant Lady Gaga Snake

Or at least it adds up that way for me.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Veridiann

Post by Veridiann »

I normally just watch this site without saying anything,but the Camo Hissi is so grotesque I simply had to make an account simply to say, this is not a "Camo Hissi". This is a "freshly used toilet paper Hissi." Ick.