Camouflage and Relic Nimmos

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Camouflage and Relic Nimmos

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Image Image

Not really a lot that can be said about Relic. This one looks... convincing, I guess. As if it could actually be made out of stone.

I'm now scratching my head as to what it is about the Camo Nimmo that makes it look so old. Not old as in elderly, but as in pre-UC design. I can't quite figure it out. Also, I'm not sure that purple would really blend into water, so it rather defeats the object of it being camouflage. The colours themselves are very attractive and I imagine this pet would make a pretty base for cross-painting, but I'm uncertain what those spots are on its abdomen.
Last edited by Rainbow Daydreamer on 14 Jun 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Kantark

Re: Camouflage and Relic Nimmos

Post by Kantark »

Relic looks weathered, yay!

Camo is very peculiar, those markings look like bubbles - not sure whether that was the intention.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Rah

Post by Rah »

Oh! It's like a dart frog!

Love love love love love :D Omg look at the pretty little speckles on its belly. :D And teehee, relic looks like it would sit next to a pond. I quite like the idea of an enchanted pond statue coming to life.
Last edited by Rah on 14 Jun 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Rah is 100% right. Camo looks more like a poison dart frog (which stands out deliberately) than a camouflaged frog (and frogs have some of the best camo out there). Odd choice. Neat idea (also agreed that it looks old--very oddly flat, poor shading), but for camo, bizarre.
Image Image
Rah

Post by Rah »

Haha, that's a good point. It's not a colour that fit's camouflage at all xD Maybe spotted! I do really like those blues, though.
Laniv

Post by Laniv »

Relic is actually good, since most tend to be mediocre.
Camouflage is awesome. I'm now tempted to make another account and get this.
cerpin

Post by cerpin »

Relic is better than relic normally is.

I can't get over camo, though! That's excellent, and the pbs are so cheap. I'm not sure if I want to make a new nimmo, or pick one of my lab rats to morph. It's an awesome color.

I like their new clothes, as well, and although the farmer get-up is interesting, the asian-inspired clothes look especially striking to me.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

I too love the Camouflage. I'm a blue fanatic and, while at first it reminds me of Electric's colour scheme, it's still nicely done. I think the speckles on it's belly give it a nice realistic touch. Good, very good.

Relic is Relic. Not much more you can say.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I'm with you, Pyro - when I first saw that nimmo I thought it was electric.

The poison dart frog similarity is interesting and makes me feel better about it.

I'm so confused about the tortoiseshell pattern it seems to have on its crotch though o_O
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I'm not really sure about the poison dart frog as an inspiration for Camo, much as I love their colour schemes. Mainly because the point of the poison dart frog and the other brightly coloured frogs is that they're really obvious and not camouflaged.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Maybe it's a non-poisonous frog that is trying to look like a poisonous frog, thus CAMOUFLAGING itself as a poisonous one? DID YOU THINK OF THAT?

Yeah. I didn't really believe it either. The colour scheme is cool though. Even if it's more "deep ocean" than "tree frog".

Also, did you know I found out the difference between 'poisonous' and 'venomous' ? Venomous means the creature can put poison into you in order to hurt you, like with fangs or spikes or whatever, but if you manage to kill it you can eat it and not die. Poisonous means that the creature's flesh has poison in it, so the only way you can get poisoned by it is by eating it.

ISN"T THAT INTERESTING?

nb: I could still be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what the difference is!
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Aha, there you go, Madge. It's a Batesian mimic.
Image Image
cerpin

Post by cerpin »

Madge wrote:Also, did you know I found out the difference between 'poisonous' and 'venomous' ? Venomous means the creature can put poison into you in order to hurt you, like with fangs or spikes or whatever, but if you manage to kill it you can eat it and not die. Poisonous means that the creature's flesh has poison in it, so the only way you can get poisoned by it is by eating it.
That...is actually really interesting. I hope you don't mind if I tell everyone I know these facts and pretend as though I learned them through my "studies."

As for it not being actually camouflaged...I know this isn't a good excuse, but neither are many of the other camo pets. They had camo patterns, but I think being poisonous would protect a nimmo in the wild more than being bright purple would protect a poogle.
MeZergy

Post by MeZergy »

Camo reminds me of a lava lamp.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Maybe it's a non-poisonous frog that is trying to look like a poisonous frog, thus CAMOUFLAGING itself as a poisonous one? DID YOU THINK OF THAT?
Like a hoverfly? In case other countries don't have these as commonly: http://piccies.flybywire.org.uk/General ... verfly.jpg
They're coloured like a bee or wasp to make predators think they're dangerous, but don't actually sting (and also don't buzz, which is very handy for those of us who jump at the sound of buzzing). So the Nimmo isn't poisonous but coloured as though it should be.

Even if the comparison just makes me think of a Nimmo hovering to confuse people. Which it would...