Swamp Gas and Skunk Kau

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
DamionDarkheart

Re: Swamp Gas and Skunk Kau

Post by DamionDarkheart »

Kantark wrote:where are the swamps?
Looks like someone missed the Tale of Woe :wink:
"Blah blah blah into the pie, bitch." Image
Hummingbird

Post by Hummingbird »

TNT, you disappoint me. Allow me to start with the Skunk Kau. I've always liked Skunks for some reason, and I've always liked Kaus. This makes the Skunk Kau a pet which I wouldn't mind owning. I also love the pale pink inner ears. A lot.

Now, onto the 'Swamp Gas'. TNT, did we really need another colour? I mean, we've had Woodland, Relic, Transparent, Maractite, 8-Bit...and now these are being pushed aside for the meantime because of this awful new colour. I'm interested to see a Swamp Gas Jubjub, but apart from that, I utterly despise it.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Ooooh. I've no interest in this colour, but if it means they're resurrecting Bogshot (as one of the only swamps in canon) I'm all for it.

Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Ahh, I'd completely forgotten about BagshotBogshot. It'd be a nice touch if they brought some of the older stuff back into use again. I've also been going through the old ToW comics looking for swamps and I'd forgotten what a truly weird plot it was. (Edit: I also just noticed I haven't spent my ToW plot points yet!)
Last edited by Kantark on 22 Jun 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

Man, why do people seem to HATE the new color existing? It's cool looking, creative, and you can never have "too many" options for customizing a pet. They're running out of other color combos as well as ways for them to still impress.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I don't mind the new color; I like the wispy bits especially. I'm not fond of it, though, because it's so gradient-y. I just don't like that style.
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

I'm just kind of excited for the next colour we'll get in three months time. Kind of like pet days in a way, you look forward to them to see what'll come out...

Kind of makes me want there to be a "new colour day" once a year that releases a new colour, which might keep the new colour releases at a suitable rate for those of you who don't like the influx of new colours?

Personally I think 2 or maybe 3 a year is a nice rate for new colours, but I just get excited by things!
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

I certainly don't hate that the new colour exists, or that they've made a new colour, but I do feel that with the multitude of new colours (Woodland, Relic, Maractite, 8-bit, Swamp Gas, etc.) the available pet/colour combinations might end up getting spread a bit thinly over time. Despite the introduction of the new colours we still only get (at best) two new designs every pet day and one or two on an 'event' day so the likelihood is we aren't going to see a great influx of, say, Swamp Gas pets over the year when there are so many other choices still available. On the one hand it makes our new-colour guessing threads more entertaining, and it's more of a surprise what colour we'll get on a pet day (though I'd say personally the surprise is not so much which colour they release but how they implement it). But on the other hand I'd like people to be able to go to the Neocolours index and say, for instance, "I like the Swamp Gas colour but don't like Kaus... I wonder what a Kyrii would look like painted that way?". Finding that your favourite pet is not available in some new and exciting colour is bound to lead to a little disappointment.

But if it's just a one-off then fine, but it'd make more sense if it tied in with something that's going to happen on the site. As it is it's a bit of a Neopian non-sequitur.

A few years ago I'd've been delighted to see just one or two new colours a year, and these new colours tend to be much prettier, so I'm really not complaining!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Lou 500

Post by Lou 500 »

Oh cool, we can turn our pets into farts now.
Madge

Post by Madge »

But perhaps the reason they were only releasing colours on pet days is because they were running out? They used to release them randomly and then all of a sudden it was confined to pet days.

Of course, I'm never going to argue in favour of TNT being not lazy.
Bif

Post by Bif »

I don't dislike having a new colour, I just think that this one is a bit boring. We only get colours on pet days now, so I look forward to something awesome, I just don't like this one. If they started realising more pets more often then I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the new colour because there would be other things to entertain me. :)
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

Lou 500 wrote:Oh cool, we can turn our pets into farts now.
If they called it just "gas" I'd have been even more entertained.

I wonder if they'll all be swampy colored or a variety of colors? I prefer the green-brown but it might be cool to see some variety too.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I suspect they are releasing new colors because they have to add new things to maintain interest in the site, and they can no longer add any new species. A new species would mean that thousands[citation needed] of NC Mall clothing items would have to be retroactively drawn to be compatible with the pet. I don't think we'll ever see any revamps or new species for that reason.

A new color is something unexpected, anyone could've guessed that a skunk cow was possible, but I don't think anyone suspected that a etheral gas pet was going to be released.

Skunk is neat, swampgas is interesting at least. Except I detest fart (and shit, vomit, etc) jokes so it pains me that they are common and associated with this pet.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Wow, that was unexpected....

I don't personally like the new color (not a big fan of sickly-looking greens), but the wispy style is really cool. For that, i approve. And i recall for quite a while after customization, we had no new colors until Woodland and Relic.

Skunk is your basic skunk style, but it's in a nice array except maybe that widening blanket over the butt. I like the bicolor tail and Holstein face.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I like it, but I also miss the days when I could hope for an angry or defeated pose of this pet being nothing but a ball of light. The only other color option I think is appropriate, given the name they've chosen, is blue. I think it's all too possible for blue to conflict with ghost. I don't know. For some reason though, I think black a la Nightmare would be nice with the smoke effect.