Tyrannian Eyrie

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

To use the expression of a dear friend of mind, 'ouchkabibbles.' That thing is pretty bad. Eyries have always been one of my fav species, mostly through concept anymore as the redraws have gone downhill. What happened to working on making good pets? Isn't that what the staff is paid for? Maybe not paid too well even, but still, would people be happy if other people with poor pay, like teachers, only gave half-baked attempts like this?
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Madge

Post by Madge »

What I don't like is that the main body doesn't seem to be redrawn between any of the poses except defended and hit. I mean, I understand that many redraws have crap BD poses, but they often have really nice emotion poses to make up for it.

I think this would have been a *lot* better if each of the emotion poses was individually drawn from scratch.

Actually, it would have been a lot better if it was more like the tyrannian kougra, or more like an archaeopteryx, but those are dreams. I just wish that since we're stuck with the "hairy horny eyrie" concept, it was executed better!
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

For the angry pose, they didn't even bother to change it except flip the head and reshade the mane slightly. It looks like it has a deformed neck.

And the feet look like those novelty slippers they make for men so they can look like they have hairy taloned feet. Oh, and the horns remind me of plastic Viking helmet; and the tail looks like a cat toy.

Oh, and the hit poses are the wrong way round, aren't they?
Neopets wishlists: here
Amaranthiine

Post by Amaranthiine »

The way the notch in the wing is shaded, it makes it look like the hindquarters have been cut short and that it has a huge wart. Ugh.
dlfreak

Post by dlfreak »

The [lack of] shading and expression is terrible.

How does turning your head one way or another make you happy or angry?

Happy

Angry
Last edited by dlfreak on 10 Oct 2006 08:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phoebemittens

Post by phoebemittens »

What everyone else said, but what struck me first was how expressionless it is - there's no difference to any of the emotion poses. Even to the point where beaten and sad are essentially the same pose.

VERY BAD, TNT. Go to your room.
Scimthary

Post by Scimthary »

I went to neopets to use the lab and remembered to check the new eyries, I almost fainted when I saw the horrible tyrannian colour. It's so flat, ugly, boring..besides it looks like something done YEARS ago!
yvonne_l_d

Post by yvonne_l_d »

I don't mind the concept. But there is not enough attention to detail, and why is the beak furry. It looks like soembody pulled an all nighter to catch the deadline.
Lucifer_Apollyon

Post by Lucifer_Apollyon »

yvonne_l_d wrote:I don't mind the concept. But there is not enough attention to detail, and why is the beak furry. It looks like soembody pulled an all nighter to catch the deadline.
The beak isn't furry, it's jagged. Like a saw blade.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Lucifer_Apollyon wrote:
yvonne_l_d wrote:I don't mind the concept. But there is not enough attention to detail, and why is the beak furry. It looks like soembody pulled an all nighter to catch the deadline.
The beak isn't furry, it's jagged. Like a saw blade.
Even then, though, the jagged edges aren't even consistant between the Emotion and Battledome poses:

ImageImage
Randomness

Post by Randomness »

Oh well I don't really care whats bad about it I just think it looks kute with a bit of fixing up it wouldnt look too bad.
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

yvonne_l_d wrote:It looks like soembody pulled an all nighter to catch the deadline.
Agree! That's almost exactly what I was going to say when I saw the image, before reading the topic.

I expected much, much better for the Tyrannian Eyrie, if only because Eyries are so decidedly different than a lot of the other pets.

The wings are the best part. Unfortunately, they are very similar to the Darigan Zafara's and less well-done, which takes away from any "good" they brought to the pet.

Image Image
Dammit :(

The inconsistancies between poses are shameful, especially what Hawk pointed out:
Hawk wrote:Compare:
ImageImage

The weird dark-brownish stuff on the foot is gone in the second one, plus the claws aren't yellow - it happens in the close attack pose too.
Honestly, now :(

And this is just bugging me:

See the wing bandage? How does that work?!

I like the two tails, I guess. It looks nice in the frontpage image, but I don't know how much I like it on the pet itself. You only really see it in defended and hit, which aren't very good poses at all.

I think the artist had a decent concept, but rushed through the art and didn't pay enough attention to the shading, the consistacy, and the small details that can really make a nice colour.

Sad.
yvonne_l_d

Post by yvonne_l_d »

That side-by-side of the Darigan Zafara and Tyrannian Eyrie shows the difference very well. They both have very similar poses, but the Zafara looks much more professional.
Lou 500

Post by Lou 500 »

I don't like it. The poses are all nearly the same, the only thing that changes is the head and a foot.
LadySilverSnake

Post by LadySilverSnake »

The concept is awesome (I love the evil look of those horns and wings), the execution is ew.