Darigan and Ice Koi

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Darigan and Ice Koi

Post by Nogitsune »

Courtesy of jellyneo we have a preview of the two new Koi:

Image Image

Er... Darigan is... um... hairy and spiny? Ice is ... shiny... er... thoughts?
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
duenorth

Re: Darigan and Ice Koi

Post by duenorth »

The Darigan Koi looks like some horrific genetic mash-up of the Darigan Cybunny and Ixi.

I do like the shade of blue they used for the Ice Koi!
old world underground where are you now?
varii

Post by varii »

Haha. Ok, first, ice looks like water; it doesn't look frozen at all.

Darigan. Well, ignoring the face, the body isn't that bad in theory. But it seems like the artist has a line list of traits that Darigan should have. Purple? Check. Horns? Check. Semi-fangs? Check. Spikes and claws? Check. Except that the Koi is a fish and those things don't really fit. Make it spikey, sure, but make it fish-spikey, not goat-spikey. And this fish now has hair. Ugh.

And I am seriously pissed whenever they don't go the extra step of giving pets that require them menacing eyes. Had they given this pet some angry eyebrows it would have been +5 points in my opinion.
rei @ neopets
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Wow, those are rather poor examples of their color. Ice is just really pathetic, even for 2.0. Doesn't look icy at all, like Varii said it looks more like water.

Why does a fish now have a gaint Cybunny mane? That's probably my biggest problem with it. Fish don't have fur, artist!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Well, ice is wonderful compaired to darigan. It's very purple, which normally isn't a bad thing, but makes this look very monotonous (which isn't the right word, but I can't think of the correct one which also starts with 'mono'). Any why does it still have that stupid grin? Fail, artist, fail.

Verii is right, the ice doesn't really look like ice, but I like it more than darigan so I'm not going to say anything.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

I think someone told the artist to do Darigan as a 'lionfish' and the artist took them a wee bit too literally. It's definitely too monochromatic (I think that's the word TCStarwind wanted to use) and isn't at all menacing. Ice would be a nice Water or even Glass but, as people pointed out, doesn't really look very icy at all.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Darigan: with horns like that it's going to sink straight to the bottom, probably upside down.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

Trying to think of something nice to say...trying really hard. Well, the tailfin is nice enough. The spikes along the back, sure, okay. Honestly, if you saw only the tail and slowly uncovered the fish from left to right, it'd start out looking decent, then fail as the flipping mane of hair (honestly, what is it with neo and ruffs on pets?) eyes and insipid grin are revealed. I'm not going to even bother with commenting on ice.

Both these fish are made of fail.

Kantark's post, however, is made of win.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

While the colors themselves may have sucked, Koi day is at least redeemed a little thanks to the utterly amazing new Marachite armour!

Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

The armor is spiffy and sensible. I can't help but see the Darigan as having a luxurious beard.
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

Darigan is an abomination. Okay, maybe it's not that bad. Close though.

I actually do like Ice, though I agree, it does look more like water. It makes me think of a bubble.
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

Seerow wrote:While the colors themselves may have sucked, Koi day is at least redeemed a little thanks to the utterly amazing new Marachite armour!

I've been plotting for maractite armour for peophins. Needless to say, I'm both incensed that the @#$@ koi got it, and hopeful that maybe they'll consider making some for peophins. @_@ Omg.
Thank you for the av and sig set!
Larkspurlane @ neo
Louboutins

Post by Louboutins »

I actually like darigan O: Though would impress me more if it wasn't so cheery looking..

Ice looks a bit like a rain drop.

Remember when Koi's had attitude and weren't so flowery looking. Hmm.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

My first impression of Darigan was "WTF?" Horns and a beard. This is a FISH pet. Uh, no. Really, I wouldn't have faulted them for creativity if they'd gotten inspiration from a real world fish species, or gone with sharky teeth instead of turning it into a "lion" fish...complete with mane and two prominent upper canines. At least having a tail that looks like it's been torn a-la battle wounds is fitting.

I actually like Ice, appropriate color and such. But it's not really "wow."

I also echo the "well, at least they get some nice Maractite armor for clothing, now that Customization fixed poses have apparently dashed every ounce of creativity." Well, unless you count pasting horns and a beard on a fish as "creative." I've pasted horns on a cobra before....
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

If you look closely enough at the darigan, the face actually resembles a cybunny 0_0
Ice is alright, but the shade of blue (although nice) makes it look like water.
...formerly known as 'spiraled'
-click-