Hacked for the first time

Post the good things and the bad things that have happened to you on Neopets here.
Scythemantis

Hacked for the first time

Post by Scythemantis »

The last time I logged into neopets, I know for sure it was the real site, but now someone has changed my password, turned my mutant gnorbu into a green uni and pounded my mutant tuskaninny - sending his mutant urgoni and its bleech (which was given to me by one of the most special people in my life) to oblivion. Logically they shouldn't have been able to change my e-mail because they shouldn't have been able to log into it and click the confirmation link, but after 24 hours I haven't gotten any of the lost password requests I sent.

I had my account since 2000 when my first-ever girlfriend introduced to the site. I NEVER played on a single spare account, and was never good enough at neopets to save up more than a few hundred thousand NP. Most of what I had consisted of gifts from people, and while I hadn't played in virtually a year, it had a lot of sentimental value.

Of course the staff hasn't responded to my reports in the two days since I filed them, and whoever's in my account has ignored my polite begging from a new back-up account.

I don't even think I have enough information for a report anyway...I don't remember a single shop sale and never communicated with neofriends.
Mistress Morbid

Re: Hacked for the first time

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Oh god, that's so terrible to hear! I went through the same thing months ago, and it was a pain in the ass but I eventually recovered my accounts. All I can say is be persistent and send reports in every day and to as many TNT staff you can find.

It's funny how you can become so attached to a site even if you're no longer very active on it. I thought I was finished with Neopets....hadn't logged in for a couple years probably, but when I found I'd been hacked I was absolutely heartbroken. It's the nostalgia and memories of the site that I joined when I was only 13 and it still means a lot to me.

I hope you get yours back! :( *hug*
Image Image
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

I have no idea who to send reports to other than the "retrieve account" form :(
Mistress Morbid

I remember doing a google search for Neopets Staff emails and found a list somewhere. A lot of them won't work since you just get an automated response back, but I know a few of them got through (and I sent an email to every single one).
Image Image
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

MM definitely has recent experience on this. =( Ughhhh, so lame. I'm sorry! I would be so angry, and I don't play anymore either.

Definitely, definitely send emails to any email address you can find. Spamming TNT seems to be the best method, which is irritating to say the least.
Image Image
Mistress Morbid

It looks like the account has been frozen now, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Good because whoever was in it can't do any more harm, and it was possibly frozen under suspicion of being hacked. Bad because it may make it harder to re-obtain depending on why it was iced.
Image Image
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

Fortunately, if I can get it back, it looks like I'd only be one transmog potion, petpetpet, and petpet pb away from restoring everything lost *that I care about*...though I'll only be able to do that if my bank account is intact. Doubtful.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Ugh, that's awful! :( And yeah, at least they can't do any more damage. I hope TNT is quick to get it sorted out for you.
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

Well...once I filled out the unfreeze form my account was *promptly* given back and my SDB loaded with stuff worth far more than what I ever lost D:

I've got some of it in auction (under scythemantis) for below TP price if anyone is interested in seeing and/or helping me rebuild :)

I didn't even ask for my losses to be compensated, it was a complete surprise! I don't think I should say which staff I heard back from, I wouldn't want people spamming them. They were really sweet.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I'm not sure if TNT compensated you, could it be possible that who ever went in your account also played a bit and got some goodies?

Anyway: congrats, it is always good to hear when people actually get help that helps!
Mistress Morbid

Hooray! Glad to hear you got it back so quickly! ^^
Image Image
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

There is no possible way the hacker could have gotten this stuff in a couple days. I couldn't have earned this stuff in a year of serious playing. :shock:

You can PM me if you're curious to know what it all is :p
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

I miss your posts Scythe. :( You should put overpriced jellies and stuff in your shop so I can donate to you.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Boo for you being hacked.

But, at least, you recovered what you lost, and even more. So, this is a major fuck you to all hackers and scammers.

:)

(I think the monitor that did it had a crush on you and your spooky Halloween stuff. I mean, who doesn't? :P)
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

I miss your posts Scythe. :( You should put overpriced jellies and stuff in your shop so I can donate to you.
Trust me, noooo donations necessary :p

I never have much to say on the subject of neopets anymore, and am usually too busy for forums. Maybe I'll drop in once in a while, although my own site has a semi-thriving forum now with nothing but friendly people talking about monsters and cartoons all day :)