Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Red Mask Corgi

Re: Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

Post by Red Mask Corgi »

I got my Black at Walmart after being too late to get it at Gamestop, and my sister got White. I haven't started it yet though since I'm a horrible procrastinator and have a few tests coming up.
And I know that once I start the game I don't want to be distracted, so I better get my homework out of the way first x3

But I know I'll be picking Tepig. Hoping it'll be male :3

HOPEFULLY tomorrow I can get the Victini event though, I want that little critter so badly D:
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

Oh geeze, I can't wait to get my game. Luckily Amazon shipped ours out today so hopefully we'll just have to wait a few days. I would of waited and just bought it from a store but we have only one place that says it around here and it would of been more expensive there. I don't mind waiting, it's worth the wait. White is going to be mine and Kali is getting one of each.
Now to decide if I'll play the boy or girl...hmmmmmm.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I picked up the White version mostly on a whim heh. I had a Best Buy gift card sitting around that I got for Christmas that I wasn't ever really going to use since I don't shop there all that often so decided why not. I chose the grass starter since it definitely has the neatest final evolution, though I was tempted by the otter as well.
I haven't played a pokemon game since Diamond and I never did finish that one, so I'm excited to be playing them again :D

Though like Ty I wish the poketech was back!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Rah

Post by Rah »

I don't really do the whole wireless thing except to trade to like...one person I know, and to get the mystery gifts nintendo gives away sometimes, so the c-gear thing is blah for me. I've just set the dowsing rod to the bottom screen so I have something useful down there, although it's a pain to keep switching back and forth between that and the menu screen to get to my items/pokemon/save button.

I really miss the pokemon following you around, and I really miss automatic running shoes. I can feel my hand seizing up from all the b button pressing.

I've started with Oshawott, and named him Percy. He is my little Scarlet Pimpernel otter (with a brave nature and stubborn personality, which is just adorable)

I felt compelled to sketch my team yesterday, because they were all about to evolve and I wanted to preserve the adorable moment! Click here if you want to see! I've since changed the lillipup's name to Winifred instead of Bailey, and all but the Dewott have now evolved (and even he is just about to!) Gosh I swear I get the most enjoyment of being able to name things. It feels like I have unlimited petslots or something and no names have yet been taken! xD
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I just got the bike, and... geez. I'm terrible with it. I can't seem to move where I want. I end up not using it because I'll never get where I want to go. Seriously, one time I was trying to get into a door and I went left-right-left-right-left--for almost a full minute. (I was determined to do it! Stubborn = stupid, doesn't it.)

Rah, that is so adorable. Thinking about my team always makes me wish I could draw them! So great.
Image Image
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

I decided on White (mostly because the epic eagle is only in that one, if I remember correctly) and stopped by Target to get it today. I'm only 3 hours in and SUCKING MAJORLY, haha. It feels like the game is somehow harder than earlier gens with trainers and wild pokes leveling up faster than usual... or maybe I'm just out of practice.

After spoilering the hell out of everything back in November, I tried to ignore it all again and have forgotten a lot which is probably another factor why the game feels more difficult- I can't remember a lot of evolutions and types so I feel like I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants.

I restarted the game probably 20 times until I got a trainer ID that I liked, since I have always been obsessive-compulsive about that for reasons I can't explain. :oops: But I'm now #65159 which makes me happy. And I got a relaxed female Snivy that I have named Lotus and I'm kind of in love with her.

The purple cat appears to suck and I'm really sad about that, because just once I would like to have a kitty that is usable. :C I'm not terribly attached to the rest of my squad at this point... while the terrier is currently carrying the team I remember significantly hating the final sprite. Sadness! Water monkey, fuzzbat and the psychic kidney round off the group right now. (I should probably learn their real names soon...)
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Tiki wrote:It feels like the game is somehow harder than earlier gens with trainers and wild pokes leveling up faster than usual... or maybe I'm just out of practice.
I've been getting the same feeling. I attributed it to having previously been mowing down everything while leveling up my dusknoir these past few days, so I'm not used to training pokemon from scratch. I know they changed the exp gaining formula to account for your pokemon's level, so that might be it too.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Oh my god the bike. That thing is seriously... auto-rage. Because the bike music usually annoys me (I think the score of the game really, really good, on a tangent - my favourites are Opelucid City, Relic Castle and Driftveil City. The routes after the Elite Four and Undella Town have really nice music, too. And I quite enjoyed Castelia City. And Chargestone Cave. Basically everything) I usually just end up running around everywhere.

Evidently now I have defeated the Elite Four. The game definitely gets easier once you get the Lucky Egg in Chargestone Cave. But the levels after the Elite Four are, from the normal trainers, are really high. Most stuff isn't too hard because... they're normal trainers, but still. At the moment I'm running around and catching old pokes, generally. Need to bite the bullet and attempt legendary catching, still. For whatever reason I tend to put it off forever. I only caught Dialga and Palkia on Platinum last week - and my dex is over 450 on there atm. :/

End/Post-Game Spoilers:
Spoiler: open/close
I managed to defeat the actual Elite Four without much trouble at all. And then N wasn't too much trouble, either (and I caught Zekrom in two balls!). But Ghetsis, maaan. That Hydreigon seriously gave my team a beating. The lack of ice/dragon moves definitely hurt - Samurott's movepool is ridiculously shallow. And my poor Krookodile has pretty terrible defences with an inclination to fainting. So his crunch wasn't that useful. Alongside the oncoming focus blasts. And why oh why did I try to take on Cynthia today. Her team hover around 75 - sadly, my 55ish pokes were no match. xD And I didn't even make it to Garchomp!
Anyway, my current team consists of... Klaus the Chandelure, Cynthia the Cinccino, Chevron the Krookodile, Ferris the Reuniclus, Gauva the Excadrill and Tsar the Samurott. I'm not sure what I want for my... end-game team. I'll be dumping Tsar, I think. And would definitely like to keep Chandelure and Excadrill. Thinking about doing something a bit different and creating a sandstorm team, maybe. I'm always inclined to abuse rain, but Excadrill makes me want to shake things up a bit. :P
Subeta: Thomas
Tiki

Post by Tiki »

I'm up to the town just past the desert now. Even though I'm still not a fan of most of the gen 5 pokes, the game is my favorite now for one very important reason:

UNLIMITED TMs OMG. I definitely missed this memo even when I was spoilering myself about everything last year. This makes SUCH a massive difference for me, now I can play solo without having to trade for the damn things ten times over. Also, I love the new doctors and nurses scattered around; being able to heal while leveling in some areas is awesome.

And finally I'm becoming obsessed with my little Audino, Mochi. Yeah, she's pretty much just a (watered down?) Wigglytuff, but oh good god that sprite is so cute. And with the unlimited TMs I can abuse her movepool as much as I please. As of right now, she and Lotus-the-Servine are my only two permanent team members, and they haven't needed help from anyone else.

Cuuuuuute.
Faun

Post by Faun »

I just got to the 3D city.

Mind = Blown
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

I've got as far as the route after Castelia City. Managed to make it through the entire pre-release season with almost no spoilers whatsoever! A few observations:

- I agree about the C-Gear being a waste of space. I can't connect to the wireless because of our router's stupid security protocols, so it's pretty much a useless bunch of lights as far as I'm concerned. Being unable to advance conversations by tapping feels weird to me, too. Funny how quickly you get used to something...
- It was a neat idea putting the Daycare so early in the game. After all, that's when you're going to do the most walking, without Fly or Teleport to help you. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to check on my Pokémon, though. There's nobody relevant outside, I don't have a Pokétch with a checker app any more, and I can't seem to use the Xtransceiver to make calls of my own.
- Increased difficulty-- oh thank Fyora, it's not just me being suddenly terrible! I was quite startled how often I've been on the ropes when moving at what I'd consider normal playthrough pace, and needing to hawk my status remedies and Pokéballs to buy more potions for a gym battle was quite the rude awakening.
- The new evolution animation is creepy. It looks like your Pokémon is dissolving. Who thought that was a good idea?
- Why are there so many attractive Normal-types knocking around? I need the team space, darnit! I'm already compromising slots thanks to having got too attached to my Lillipup!
- The new-style battle animations, with a delay between text and action, keep making me double-take. A long pause means you've hit, immediate text means you've missed. Next they'll be telling me down is up and up is down.
- I really didn't like the Professor's introduction to this game. Explaining the "world of Pokémon" to a kid who's grown up in it has always felt odd, but "And now let me introduce you to your best friends" really broke something, for me. I've decided the Professor is obviously just barmy.
- How many times did I get lost in Castelia? Too many.
- I think I missed a special Pokémon or something in Pinwheel Forest. As I ran through the grass, I saw a patch of it twitching invitingly. But before I could get there, I got ambushed by a Sewaddle. -_- When I reached the patch, there was nothing to be seen.

Current team: Byron the Servine; Dashielle the Lillipup; Carrie the Tranquill; Tricky the Blitzle (so named because it took me disproportionately long to catch one); Drifter the Munna; Milty the Tympole. I'm avoiding peeking to see if any of them evolve (except Dash, whom I prevented), but I'm suspecting Milty has to do so at least once, based purely on appearance. I mean, look at the little pipsqueak.

Wondering if there's any way I can get my hands on Victini without home wireless. Maybe just spend a day in town and mooch around cafés until I find one with compatible wi-fi?
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

RD, I totally agree with you about the evolutions. I keep thinking of Galaxy Quest's digitizing and how it turned the piglizard inside out. SO CREEPY.

Also, the shaking grass is just something that happens sometimes. Often it's an Audino. I got a fire monkey in Pinwheel Forest, though, I think.

McD's and Starbucks here always have free wifi. Those are universal chains, according to jokes I hear on the teevee. Maybe is true for the UK too?
Image Image
Tiki

Post by Tiki »

I think the start of the game is significantly harder than previous gens. Mostly because the two normal types (Lillipup and the meerkat, still haven't learned names well enough yet...) are BROKEN. Hypnosis + Retaliate is a terrible combo, and the meerkat gets them SO early. And the pup's early, high attack evolution and then Take Down of all things = WTF. That combined with the first gym's gimmick of "here's a poke that yours is useless against" and you're screwed. Of course that's what I get for just barging on in without fully exploring (and thus finding the monkey trade nearby), but daaaamn.

My team is getting more and more complete and they're finally starting to pick up the slack:
Image Image Image Image Image
Servine will probably be dropped soon because of that damned Audino still occupying a favorite slot, and I know must-have dragons are coming up sooner or later. Sorry dude.

Speaking of wavy grass, I was able to get both the other monkeys in Pinwheel Forest from there. I just ran back and forth in the very first section (since there is a TON of grass patches) and watched for wigglin'. Usually grass in the very first or second row is what moves, so you're less likely to get a regular pokemon battle on your way to the prized patch.

In the swampy area just before the forest, I got both the "rare" fighters from wiggly patches, Sawk and whats-his-face. So if you're still looking for any of that group, that's where to find them. Just get ready to fight 100 Audinos in the meantime (which I obviously didn't mind, LOL).
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Rainbow Daydreamer wrote: - The new evolution animation is creepy. It looks like your Pokémon is dissolving. Who thought that was a good idea?
Dude, yes! I understand wanted to update the flashing between two sprites, but the dissolving thing!? It makes it feel like my pokemon are just bits of data. Of course they are, but I don't want to be reminded!

I just finished up Castelia City, and went to bed before moving to the next route. My team right now consists of Vivenna the Petilil, Tindwyl the Traquill, Kelsier the Roggenrola, Ron the Herdier, Shandy the Dewott, and Qvothe the Victini. I normally don't train legendaries, but I really like Victini and needed a better fire type then Pansear. I'll eventually replace him with Litwick when I get that far. Shandy and Kelsier are definitely staying, and possibly Vivenna as well. My nickname theme is book characters, and as you can probably guess, I've been reading way too much Brandon Sanderson :3
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Okay, a new question--has anyone figured out a decent HM slave? I have one thing that knows cut and another that knows strength and yet another that knows fly. My best combination is one that knows both surf and waterfall and uh... that's not hard. And don't tell me to just train a bird on my team. That is not my answer. ;)

My team so far:
ImageImageImageImage
---- Olhado --------- Brainsnot -------- Dirge ----------- Coyote

Really shaping up! I'm going to catch a frillish and a pawniard, hopefully both today. I love zoroark's ability, too. Maybe it's useless in single player, but it's so great to see my adorable (but untrained) swoobat sent out. A couple times it's confused me! That's why I named him Coyote, as in the trickster. "What, what the hell is Scraggy doing out, I could have sworn I picked... oh! Oh. Right. Ahem. ...Use night slash!"
Image Image