Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Re: Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

Post by Joey »

No shinys for me yet, though I'm tempted to grind on the 2nd floor of the celestial tower and see if I can get a shiny litwick.

I've fallen behind since I've got finals next week. I just decimated the flying gym with my Gigalith, it was way too easy. Now I'm going around exploring with surf. My team's changed a bit:

Vivenna the Petilil, Level 37, female. Probably my worst team member right now, but I'm gonna evolve her after she learns sunny day.
Qvothe the Victini, level 37, male. I know they are genderless but mine is male cause I said so. Probably the next to be replaced.
Shandy the Samurott, level 38, male. He's awesome.
Vin the Litwick, level 38, female. Newest member, but awesome.
Tindwyl the Unfezant, level 38, female. Going to be replaced by a Braviary when I can catch one.
Kelsier the Gigalith, level 38, male. Might be my favorite pokemon on my team right now. He kicks some serious ass.

I'm also weirded out by the lack of trainer rematches. We've been able to rebattle since G/S/C, why take it out now? Totally weird.
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

I'm really hating the lack of trainer rematches too, and I can't possibly figure out why they would just remove that... it adds replay value and everything. And now I'm kinda emo over the fact that an interview with one of the main creators said they AREN'T considering a third game- why the heck not? Usually the Crystal/Emerald/etc. version improves on previous ones and I was really looking forward to that. :C I hope money and greed wins out and they make some random Pokemon ~Gray~ (only better named) in the future.

Mah team, prior to the final gym:
Spoiler: open/close
Image Image Image Image Image
- Wired, timid male. Probably my favorite new poke this generation and a staple on all my teams from here on out! Just need him to learn Bug Buzz so I can finally get that adorable tarantula.
- Isle, who I have now realized has is the wrong nature, ARGH. For whatever reason I soft-reset until I got a +SpA nature, not +Atk. It's kinda driving me crazy knowing I easily had access to a good nature without having to breed and I screwed it up. Guess I'll be breeding as soon as I have access to ditto or a female tirtouga.
- Solstice, can't decide if I want her to replace Nova or not. Either way, she will be epic when she finally evolves. Can't remember her nature but it's a good one, so there.
- Nova, timid "female." So cute and her special move I got with a Heart Scale absolutely destroys.
- Pippin, neutral female. I need a better name. D: She can learn surf which is amusing me to no end (and helps so much, not having to take up one of Isle's slots)
They are such a mess right now with repeated types and lack of decision making on my part. D: I just find myself missing teammates from my previous games, mostly my dear Frosslass and Solrock. But I'm looking forward to importing them in the endgame. Until then I'll continue waffling and not feeling very attached to very many critters in this version.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Tiki - that interview was debunked aaages ago. It was a bad translation from jap to spanish to english again.

The question was "will you release a third version for the 3DS?" and the response is "no, we will not release a third version for the 3DS". Some paranoid fans interpreted this as being "no third version" rather than "no need to get an expensive new DS to play the third version".

Said Nintendo rep has since said "I never said there wouldn't be a third version, WHY DO YOU GUYS THINKT HAT". So there probably will be.
Fury

Post by Fury »

POKEMON WHITE IS AWESOME

I haven't had this much fun playing a Pokemon game in quite a while. Even though the English Poke names are a tad lame and some of the designs leave a lot to be desired, I don't really mind. I've just beaten Lenora (who has an awesome design, I thought) and am chasing down Team Plasma through Pinwheel Forest. There's so much I love about this game but here are a few things:

1. Animated sprites. So. Cute.
2. I find the music in this game fantastic. I love the music when your Pokemon's HP drops to red (such an improvement over the highly irritating BEEPBEEP of previous games) and the shift in music when gym leaders are on their last pokemon. But overall, it's a joy to listen to.
3. I'm enjoying the subtle differences in story line - the female professor (finally) and having two friends (Bianca's battle sprite is great, I love how she has to yank the Pokeball out of her bag) journey with you from the beginning.
4. Audinos. This has got to be the greatest innovation ever - it is now so easy to train and level up due to the massive amount of EXP points they dish out! I also like the idea of being able to spot rarer pokemon in shaking grass.

I'm far behind compared to some of you but I am really enjoying myself so far. I actually got to around this point before but restarted my game to obtain a better natured Snivy. I don't battle competitively at all but it bothers me to have negative natured Pokemon in my party, LOL. I am lame. I've also named my Pokemon this time round which I never really used to do:
Yamato the Servine - Level 19
Jolly Nature

Jet the Pidove - Level 19
Can't remember what nature it is but it's not a great one. I want a Bravieryplz. How long do I have to wait before any other birdy shows up, actually?

Konan the Drilbur - Level 19
Impish Nature
I don't want this little thing to evolve! Might swap it out for a better natured one sometime soon.

Frosch the Tympole
Serious Nature
Neutral natured as Seismitoad has even stats. By the way, Seismitoad is pretty ugly, isn't he? D: Palpitoad on the other hand, looks hilarious.

Tsunade the Blitzle
Modest Nature
Shitty nature but will swap her out for a better natured one unless another electric type Pokemon appears soon. She's cute but I'm not as keen on her evolved form.

Pain the Throh
Bold Nature
Again, shitty nature because I'm ditching him for anything that catches my eye in Pinwheel Forest. He was there to help me sweep the 2nd Gym!
Naruto Shippuden geek, hoo!

On a side note - does anyone know of a comprehensive site that lists which nature is good for which Pokemon? I used to use Smogon but it seems they haven't yet uploaded a 5th Gen list.
Tiki

Post by Tiki »

Oooooooooh thank goodness Madge. I'm glad you pay more attention than I do. :D Now I can maintain a sliver of hope that the third version will either make the C-Gear optional or add more trainer battles. If EITHER of those things were fixed I'd probably enjoy this gen so much more. Not that it isn't fun to begin with, but it is driving me a teeny bit crazy.

Also, for the comprehensive lists, I've just been using Bulbapedia. They show the base stats and if you compare that with their moves they can learn (particularly physical vs. special moves) you can make a fairly good guess at what natures you should aim for. Make sure you check evolutions as well though, for instance my little Larvesta has a high attack compared to everything else, but as soon as she evolves into Volcarona the stats SWITCH and she ends up with a base Special Attack of 135.

I WILL PWN U

Random observation: It seems like a lot of pokemon this gen (at least, the ones I'm interested in enough to research) don't require NEARLY as much breeding for egg moves. Most of them come with the best moves already built-in, or access to plenty of good (unlimited!!!!!! still not over that) TMs. Maybe not so much fun for those who love breeding, but it's a relief for me to not feel guilty for not taking the time to chain-breed 5x to get the "perfect" moveset.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Tiki wrote:Maybe not so much fun for those who love breeding, but it's a relief for me to not feel guilty for not taking the time to chain-breed 5x to get the "perfect" moveset.
Seriously. My only regret at the moment is that I don't have anything with flame body to make the hatching process go faster.

Incidentally, I LOVE the GTS. I already have all the starters from this generation and a significant amount of the non-legendary White exclusives.
Tiki

Post by Tiki »

Larvesta was the first Poke I encountered that has Flame Body.

IDK if this is spoilery or not to say where you get it, since it's kinda off the beaten path, so...
If you have surf, backtrack to route 1 and eventually you'll make your way east to a small building where the larvesta egg is gifted to you. Little mofo takes ages to hatch, but at least his/her ability makes it worthwhile in the end. And it's pretty freakin' cute, like most of the bugs this gen.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Litwicks can have Flame Body too, right? And there's more than enough of them!
Subeta: Thomas
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

So... after going everywhere in the game, I still only have pretty basic berries. Given that the only berries that really matter to me are the EV deleting ones, I'm pretty concerned. Has anyone gotten any of these in B/W? I can't even transfer them from my previous games, ughhhh. Seriously, how am I going to be able to retrain my pokemon? This could be a gamekiller for me. I know, only six pokemon. But six pokemon that I love. There must be a way to get those berries. Can you find berries in the dream world? Anything?!
Image Image
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Tom wrote:Supposedly we can only grow berries in Dream World, when it goes online in about a month.
A strange sense of déjà vu. ;)
Subeta: Thomas
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Yes I know that. =P But I don't have those berries to grow. Can I obtain them in DW and not just grow ones that I already have?
Image Image
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Six gyms down. At some point I want to backtrack and catch some of the interesting new Pokémon I've been seeing, but that'd take retracing my steps through two horrid caves again-- twice-- so I'll do it sometime when I'm feeling more committed. Most of the new Pokémon have piqued my interest, though I did have a moment in Celestial Tower of "Holy Mew, why is this sick trainer attacking me with a deformed mutant Smoochum?"

It's odd; I seem to be underlevelled at times when it comes to fighting ordinary trainers on the road, yet the last couple of Gyms have been a complete pushover. I guess beating a gym just isn't the rite of passage it once was.

I think I said this before, but it's got worse: Why does my Itemfinder keep steering me into impossible things? Into trees, off cliffs, up against walls? I'm not talking the kind of ledges you can only jump off one side of, or little clumps of vegetation-- I'm talking about the forests and ridges that serve as boundaries for where the player can and can't go. There cannot possibly be anything on the other side because they are there due to the fact that there is no other side. And yet my Dowsing Machine bleeps merrily and points at the impassable obstacle. I've walked over every inch of ground next to the obstacles and found nothing. I think this thing needs returning to the shop.

I don't feel like Nintendo gave sufficient thought to how frustrating this game is if you can't connect to the wi-fi. Seems like every other town or city has something to remind me of what I can't access. Not to mention the C-Gear in constant default sight. At some point I'll take an afternoon in town and look for somewhere to get Victini, but still.

Is anyone else oddly fond of the TV shows? I write down all the phrases from Koukan Talk and try to memorise them, since I'm theoretically supposed to be learning Japanese anyway.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Tiki

Post by Tiki »

@RD - sometimes the hidden item IS on the very edge of the forest/cliff/boundary of the game world. The only time you see an item become centered under your feet (and the finder show the little circle centered on the screen, vs. pointing in any direction) is when you encounter it on flat ground. But if you're at the edge of the forest looking left, and there's nothing BUT forest for the 5 or 10 tiles to said left, and the item finder is pointing and screaming at you to go directly left (LOL)... just hit A. You'll find the item "in" the tree directly in front of you.

I'm also super, super frustrated at all the "LOOK AT ALL THIS AWESOME WI-FI SHIT" everywhere, including the C Gear. My internet is too secure for my little DS to handle, so I can't ever connect at home. And somehow I feel odd sitting around at a Starbucks trying to play Pokemon. :P I'll have to get over it if I want to participate in a lot of the game though.

Game-wise, I'm training along the last route before Victory Road. I bred a Jolly Axew (wiiiiin) and I'm trying to get him leveled up along with my Virizion, who is also an awesome nature. I think "she" is one of my favorite legendaries so far. I call her Okapi. :D :D :D Also caught Cobalion, but I had to settle for a neutral nature in his case... but it's Serious/Often Lost in Thought, so it "fits" his sprite fairly well.
Red Mask Corgi

Post by Red Mask Corgi »

Alright, so it's my Spring Break, so I'm sure I'll have time to finish the game this week. :3 I'm loving the game way more than I thought I would and I was already so excited for it! So far my biggest trouble was the electric gym, having three fighting types and one bug/grass type, I was really shot down x3 I'm also a little miffed at how late we get Surf in the game! But oh well, I finally got my dream team!
Austin the Emboar ♂
Cupid the Simisear ♂
Troy the Scraggy ♂
Appletini the Victini "♀"
Nymph the Galvantula ♀
Agni the Larvesta ♂

Thanks so much to you guys here for reminding me that Flame Body halves hatching time! And a bigger thanks to Tom for mentioning Litwick! xD I really wanted a male Larvesta, but of course it was female. Luckily my sister was nice enough to go to the trouble of getting the egg and a Litwick and hatching it while I was at work; she got a male, so we traded :3 Originally I wasn't going to evolve Pignite or Pansear, but I've really fallen for Emboar and Simisear. Kinda just goes to show that the best way to like a Pokemon is to just use it :3

Also, is the C-gear really necessary? I never have it on, does that hinder the game at all? I'd keep it on, but I'm worried that the blinking light will mess up my DS somehow, since my last DS had battery problems; is that unfounded?
Tiki

Post by Tiki »

I beat the gaaaaaaaame. <3 Well, the E4 part of the game. I don't think I'll ever REALLY beat a Pokemon game with the full pokedex.

The final team: Wired, Nova, Isle, Razor, Pippin, Okapi.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Spoilery thoughts-
So glad I forgot the ending and the final two battles, because... da-yum.

- OMFG COULD THAT GHETSIS BATTLE BE ANY HARDER??? Okay I was probably underleveled (lv. 50-54), but still. I HATE YOU HYDREGION. HATE YOU SO MUCH. I used up all my revives and hyper potions and whatnot and felt like such a loser being repeatedly pwned by that thing. Only when I finally got a Dragon Dance in while he was abusing his Full Restores was I able to clean house with Razor. Um, you're my favorite draggy now.

- Loved the "cutscenes" of Reshiram and Zekrom making their respective entrances!

- So when N is saying his final words to you and then BAM POKEMON LOGO + END MUSIC... was that not freakin' epic?! I don't know if the nostalgia of playing pokemon for 10+ years suddenly hit me or what, but it caught me off guard and made me all emotional. ROFL.