Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

Post by Seerow »

Tiki I must have that Pokemon on the end! So adorable! I haven't gone after any of the extra legendaries yet.
I caught the lvl 70 Volcarona that was hiding out in Relic Castle, was a pain but I think I got lucky since it only took me three restarts to catch and I've heard he is supposed to be one of the harder guys in the game to catch.

My guys seem so under-leveled now though hah! Since all the trainers now have pokemon with levels of basically 65+, my guys are having a tough time hanging on. Many many trips are taken back to the Center to heal! Slowly making my way up there though with most of them around 58 or so.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
My current lineup. They get switched around somewhat between Archeops and Serperior somewhat. The Beartic isn't hanging around for too long sadly, I'm just mainly using him as my surf mule for right now.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I only got my game a week ago and have been sick/busy/lazy so haven't been able to make too much progress, but I just beat the bug gym :)

My team after beating my rivals:
Image Adam, L22
Image Taslima, L22
Image Paul Zach, L22
Image Kylie, L22
Image Eugenie, L23
Image George, L23

A friend traded me Eugenie and George (and was kind enough to pre-nickname them for me), which I'm pretty happy with because it means they'll level a little faster :D.

Going to turf Kylie very soon for the Archeops that I am pretty sure I get not too far away. Not using a single pokemon the same as when I played through the badly translated Japanese version as well! Makes me sad at not having litwick though :(.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I wonder, how many people ended up keeping their starter on their team in this game, compared to previous games?

I ditched mine ASAP, which is the first time I've done that with a starter. I've kept (and often retrained) starters in most other games. My SS typhlosion is a fantastic team member. I didn't feel great about any of the starters this time around, though.
Image Image
Fury

Post by Fury »

I am still so in love with this game. It's the first time I've ever considered buying the alternative version of a Pokemon game just so I can play it through again with different Pokemon.

Speaking of which, the new generation of Pokemon have definitely grown on me even though I find I'm falling in love with a great many of the pre-evo stages and not loving the fully evolved stages. I don't want my Darumakka, Palpitoad or Drilbur to evolve!

I've been running around and catching various different critters, swapping out team members and training. I've just arrived in Driftveil City and my team is as follows:

Image Image Image Image Image

Yamato the Servine (Jolly) ~ Konan the Drilbur (Impish) ~ Frosch the Palpitoad (Serious) ~ Wren the Darumakka (Adamant) ~ Mikael the Emolga (Modest)
(Palpitoad's animated sprite makes me giggle. The growths on its head look like jiggling knockers.)

Currently: Training my Emolga to catch up with the others (all Level 30). When that's done, I'm off to whip Team Plasma in Cold Storage.
My 6th spot is currently empty after ditching my Tranquil and Zebstrika. To be honest, there are so many cute little buggers in this game I can't decide on who should be my final team member.

And to carry on from my previous post, more nuances and minor details that make me happy:

- The girl character in this gen is so cool. I can't help staring at her arse every time she throws a pokeball at the beginning of a battle though.
- XTransceiver calls!
- I've mentioned it before but the musiiiic. I love the tune of Lostlorn Forest.
- Changing seasons. I'm still in Autumn (why, by the way?) and I can't wait to see what Spring, Summer and Winter look like.
- Vanillite. I know it's an absurd addition but it's adorable. I am half tempted to have one.

I am such a geek.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

The seasons chance monthly, so it will be winter in April and so on. Probably so we don't have to wait until the end of the year to catch the winter pokes.

I've pretty much set on my final team, and heading into victory road. My Unfezant has been replaced by Rufflet, and Victini by Klang. I decided on Klang since I didn't want to be without any electric pokemon, but I don't really like any of the gen 5 ones. It learns a good amount of electric moves, so I went with it. Had a hard time deciding on the nickname that would fit the book character theme, but decided on Tinker, which is a bit of a a stretch but I couldn't think of anything better. It's based off Thom from the Wheel of Time. My rufflet is named Rob, after my favorite character from Song of Ice and Fire.
Fury

Post by Fury »

Ah, thanks for the heads up Joey. I was wondering how often the seasons changed.

After snooping around on the Bulbgarden forums, I noticed a lot of people mentioning "Nuzlocke Runs". I've never heard of the term before but apparently, from what I can make out, the rules are roughly as follows:

- You start a Pokemon adventure using only the first Pokemon you come across in each route. Of course, you may choose which starter you prefer but if your first wild encounter is a crappy-natured Patrat, then it is added to your team.
- No swapping!
- If one of your Pokemon faints, it is considered 'dead' and must be released from your party and PC Box. The next Pokemon you encounter is then added to your team.

It sounds challenging but really rather fun! I was wondering whether anyone here had given it a go before as I'm very tempted to buy Black and try it out!
Madge

Post by Madge »

I've done it before, but never got through a whole game. You end up doing a whole lot of grinding.

I wouldn't recommend doing it on a game you've never played before, since the point is to make a game you've played ebfore fresh and interesting.

I took one on Leaf Green but never ended up finishing it. I got too annoyed when some pokemon I taught good TMs to fainted and whatnot.

Another, optional, part of Nuzlocke is writing a fanfic or drawing a comic about your character. Here's what I did for my run if you're curious:
http://madge750.blogspot.com/2010/11/ma ... lenge.html
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Nuzlocke seems like one of those things that I'd be really enthusiastic over up until I reached the first gym and realize that I'm screwed because my pokemon's types suck for the purpose and my starter's already died on me*.

If I do ever do one, I'll probably do it on Black after I buy "Gray" and transfer all of my pokemon to it. At least then I won't have to worry about losing TMs... and then I'm almost guarunteed a Litwick. :P

* And this would happen to me. During my first battle in Black I lost. To Bianca. I didn't know that was even possible!
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Fury, my friend Caleb (and Corgi on Subeta as well) are both really fond of doing Nuzlocke Runs - Corgi even draws little adventures to go with hers about the Pokemon she meets and how her trainer feels when she lets them go, haha. I know Caleb HATES the idea of letting his Pokemon go, so he just has a PC box labeled "Dead" where he sticks all of his unusable Pokemon xD

Lindsey and I have considered doing it on her extra Pearl game (and getting me an extra Diamond game to try) but... I'm SO picky about which Pokemon I use, I'm not sure how well I'll do xD Not only am I picky, but I get super attached to my Pokemon. I'd like to try it sometime though, just to see how far I get, haha.
Fury

Post by Fury »

Haha, I enjoyed reading your blog Madge. I understand it must be pretty frustrating when a good Poke dies on you!

Meanwhile in my White game, I've arrived in Iccirus City/Town/Whatever. It's very pretty! I like the wetlands and the windmills. My team is:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Yamato the Serperior ♂ (Lvl 40) JOLLY
Konan the Excadrill ♀ (Lvl 40) IMPISH
Coco the Vanillish ♀ (Lvl 40) ADAMANT
Wren the Darumaka ♂ (Lvl 38) ADAMANT
V the Carracosta ♀ (Lvl 40) ADAMANT
Mikael the Emolga ♂ (Lvl 40) MODEST

I still haven't evolved my Darumaka because he is so adorable. Also, he learns Superpower at level 39 while Darmanitan learns it at level 47.
I know Vanillish is bizarre (it took a lot to let that cutesypoo Vanillite evolve btw) but I thought I'd give it a go! I may swap her out and train a Scraggy or Mienfoo instead though.
Serperior looks cool as hell but its moveset is shit. I may train up a Sawsbuck to take his place.

There are too many cool Pokefellas to choose from. D8 HELP ME.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

My team keeps changing really drastically. I've never done this with any other generation! I can't decide what to keep in my main party, and my likes and dislikes seem to swap daily. I think it's mostly because right now I'm training to beat the E4 a second time, and if I'm raising something to level 70+, I damn well better be fully committed to it. I'm also sort of putting things off because breeding for gender/nature/IVs/ability combos (and don't even get me started on trying to add egg moves into that mess) is a headache, and usually feels like Work, not Fun.

I'm looooving my Mienshao. Hi Jump Kick with her attack? INSANE. And when she misses and crashes (only 10% of the time) I just U-turn her back, and her Regenerator ability heals a third of her HP. So great. My only complaint is that she's not shiny, because I think shiny Mienshao is my favorite shiny of this gen.

I think I'm over my Jellicent for a little while. I knowww that a good team has a mix of attackers and walls, but... walling is so boring. I'd much rather train a sweeper. I still love when she pops out of her heal ball, though, and gets all that extra pink light.

My Chandelure is a beast, but I think pretty much everyone is raising one, so you all already knew that. Mine knows flamethrower and energy ball, which seems to be pretty common, but I also kept hex and will-o-wisp on him. I think shadow ball is probably more common, but burning (which halves your opponent's attack) then hitting for double-ghosty damage is pretty nice. Plus, I love his cry, which is somehow even more adorable than Lampent's.

I'm starting to get a little fed up with my Vanilluxe. He was very helpful for the gyms, but he's just too fragile for the post-game battles. His speed is too low, and the rest of his stats are so middling. It was nice he learned ice beam so early, but now that I have the TM for it... I'm looking for an ice replacement. I really miss my Lapras from HG. Lapras is a beast, a BEAST, let me tell you. I used him (his name is Alejandro) for pretty much everything. I don't know how much longer I can hold out without one.

Also, out of nowhere, I kind of feel like raising a Seviper? I caught one on Route 11 or whatever and went, "Huh, I kind of want to keep this with me" (although obviously I won't be keeping *that* one because I'm pretty sure I'll never, ever catch something with the right ability and nature and gender on the first try). Mostly I'm just curious about that new Venoshock move. It looks pretty brutal, I want to try it out.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Got 5 badges now, pokemon level 30 or so.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Rebecca, Paul Zach, Jamy Ian, Taslima, Eugenie, George

I've noticed a glaring weakness to grass, which is part of the reason I got Rebecca (the spider thing). I'm also going to eventually dump the Herdier for a Hydraeign, but I'm worried I may need to dump Krokorok :(
Red Mask Corgi

Post by Red Mask Corgi »

Did someone say Nuzlocke Run? :3
I'm currently obsessed with those things right now! I'm attempting one with my FireRed game and hope to make a comic out of it. I have to say that doing a NR has completely ruined the idea of fainting for me, and I've fainted pretty often in this Gen [thanks Electric Gym! x3;;]. It'll probably be a while before I attempt one for this Gen. But one of the best things about them is it might give you new respect for Pokemon that you never thought about; personally I've found a new found love for Zubats :]
But here's the comic for the first ever Nuzlocke Run. There's tons of comics/stories in the forum as well. If anyone is interested in seeing more about them :3

As for Gen V, I have to say I hate grinding xD Like a lot of people I went back and raised up my Larvesta but oh man I had no such luck with those Audino! Not a one showed up! D: But I eventually got him to the same level as the rest of my team, so now I'm just wondering around Twist Mountain and waiting for the plot to pick up again :|
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I now have all 8 gym badges and now making my way to the elite four. I've really enjoyed this game. Maybe more then the others. I'm enjoying the story. I have such a crush on N. And I like a lot of little things about it. Like how all the gym leaders seem to come out of the gym and become part of the story more. Unlike in the old games where they lived in the gym and only a couple seem to be part of the story. Oh and TMs not disappearing, again I say such a wonderful thing. And I love not needing the weaker HMs for all through the trip. I don't have an HM whore. It's wonderful!

My team is finally set...
Image - Lolita the Seismitoad Lv 43 (Such a heavy hitter and loving her poison touch ability)
Image - Takalia the Scolipede Lv 42 (she's so fast for a heavy girl)
Image - Seer the Sigilyph Lv 42 (love the sound she makes)
Image - Vyper the Eelektrik Lv 42 (shall evolve it real soon)
Image - Grey the Lampent Lv 42 (will evolve as soon as I get a dusk stone)
Image - Sean the Frazure Lv 44 (Did a clean sweep of Iris)

It was so hard deciding a final team. There are so many pokemon I want to raise up. But I'm real happy with this lineup. I'll just have to play Black sometime. Oh and this is the first time I don't have my starter in my final team. I always had my starter in all my teams. So it's kinda weird not having it now.
Oh! And I'm so tempted to have an all bug team. I swear, this gen has so many bug/2nd type pokemon. Not that's a bad thing. I'm really glad to see bugs get some love. :3

I can never see myself doing that Nuzlocke stuff. I'm just to picky about my pokemon to settle for just whatever pokemon I run into first. Also I couldn't bear tossing a pokemon because it has fainted. I get to attached.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

So the Entralink is awesome, and led to the most awesome story ever. I was playing it over spring break with my friends, and went on one of the battle missions. And it turned me into a youngster.

That's right.

I am officially Youngster Joey.