Pokemon X/Y

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Pokemon X/Y

Post by Nogitsune »

Since Black and White 2 have come out, it may be just a matter of time before another generation of pokemon comes out. I'm curious if anyone things there will be another generation, and if so what types of pokemon, gyms and so on might folks like to see.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Re: Pokemon Generation VI predictions/desires

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I hope they keep all the old classic Pokémon in there, as well as the non-legendary ones since then, as they have for the most part in the previous actual Pokémon releases.

I also hope it's not just for the 3DS. I'm still trying to find my DS in my mass of packed stuff, but i don't want to spring extra money for a 3DS - i don't trust that they're well-built yet, and the new ones are so expensive.

As for new creatures, challengers, or "quests," heck, i can't think of anything. But if it looks good, i might buy it.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Nintendo has a good reputation for building pretty sturdy hardware. Derek has had his 3DS since March 2011, and it's flawless (despite crossing the country a few times). I just got mine at the end of last month and it's great, really solid and comfortable in my hands. (I don't have the newer large one--I got a pretty purple one.)

My main request for every new Pokemon game from now until forever will always be "let the Pokemon follow us around again!"
Image Image
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

My DS Lite was run over by a car and it still works, so I shall forever have faith in Nintendo's hardware.

I still want either a grass/fire or grass/ghost jack-o-lantern pokemon. Chandelure is kinda close in awesomeness, but it's still not there yet. And I second pokemon following you again. I also want R/S remakes.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I think I'm finally sick of the fire/water/grass starters. I don't know how people would react to such a big change, but I think it would be interesting. There are other type trios that have the same system of type advantage/disadvantage against each other. It's worth exploring. I like Ash's Snivy and Oshawott a lot in the anime (which is mostly terrible lately, don't bother) but in the games themselves I didn't care for any of the 5th gen starters. I dropped mine as soon as I could. I miss the days of Gen 2 when picking a starter was hard because I liked them all so much. Now I struggle to pick the one I dislike the least.

I think a game where you can visit all five regions has to be coming eventually, right? Black/White 2 got a bit closer with the World Tournament, I guess. I like seeing which new Pokemon old gym leaders add to their teams (and I like having Cynthia in every game).

Also, more eeveelutions forever and always. I'm dying for the ghost version (har...). More new evolutions of old lines in general, actually. I liked Black and White a lot, but I wasn't sold on having only new lines of Pokemon. I wish the designers would better utilize the alternative-evolutions system (like Vileplume/Bellossom and Poliwrath/Politoed). I think that's an interesting idea they underuse. There are so many Pokemon I like a lot that I'd definitely have on my team if only they had a third evolution that was a little bit stronger (or made them eligible for eviolite), like Hypno, Arbok, Dodrio, Banette, Dewgong, Xatu, Crustle... the list goes on.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

I think Dark, Psychic, and Fighting could work as a trio, but others might be interesting as long as they maintain the 'rock-paper-scissors' effect.

I once traced over some pokemon to create Grass-Flying, Fire-Electric, and Water-Fighting pokemon. If anyone wants to see them I can put them here or in another thread.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

More evolutions for existing lines would be awesome. I want a Sableye evolution. ;)
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

The problem with all other rock-paper-scissors trios is that you end up with someone who is immune rather than resistant - Dark is immune to psychic, giving it the advantage since if your opponent picks the dark starter you won't be able to hit her with your psychic starter, but if your opponent picked the fighting starter you would be able to hit her with your dark starter. If that makes sense?

It's annoying that it's that way though as I would loooove some different starter types. At the very least give them some dual typing we haven't seen before on starters.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

That is true, and a very good point. Although to be fair, you don't usually start out with a type-specific move, and you can diversify pretty quickly.
Image Image
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I think we'll probably get the R/S remakes before another generation. Which I'm really not looking forward to at all since R/S is my least favorite of all the gens. And we just got 5th gen last year (2010 for Japan), so I don't think another one will come out too soon. This series has been out for 16-ish years, and we've only got 5 generations. So about one generation every three years or so. Almost there, but not quite.

Also, seconding/thirding/etc. following pokemon. But if they do that again, I want people to be shocked and surprised when I walk around with my legendaries (be impressed, damnit). And yes to more eeveelutions. I saw a fakemon Sableye evolution that looked like the Flatwoods Monster. That was cool; they should do something like that.

I don't mind the fire/water/grass starters, but PLEASE no more fire/fighting combos. There have been three in a row, and there are plenty of type combos that haven't been touched.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Madge wrote:The problem with all other rock-paper-scissors trios is that you end up with someone who is immune rather than resistant - Dark is immune to psychic, giving it the advantage since if your opponent picks the dark starter you won't be able to hit her with your psychic starter, but if your opponent picked the fighting starter you would be able to hit her with your dark starter. If that makes sense?

It's annoying that it's that way though as I would loooove some different starter types. At the very least give them some dual typing we haven't seen before on starters.
Actually, Fighting, Rock, and Flying have a similar resonance:

Fighting: x2 Rock ::: x½ Flying
Rock: x2 Flying ::: x½ Fighting
Flying: x2 Fighting ::: x½ Rock

The main difference is that they aren't only half effective against their own type. These are the only three that have this, though, besides the usual Grass, Water, and Fire. Of course, if you kept any one of them and only switched out one or more of the other two, you could still do a nice triad.

I'd also like to see more different type-combos. I think they've exhausted the Fire/Fighting type for a while, though Fire/Electric could be interesting. Of course combining Grass, Fire, and Water with Rock, Flying, or Fighting could be interesting:

Grass/Fighting; Fire/Flying; Water/Rock
Grass/Flying; Fire/Rock; Water/Fighting
Grass/Rock; Fire/Fighting; Water/Flying

The reverse could be even more interesting:
Fighting/Grass; Flying/Fire; Rock/Water
Flying/Grass; Rock/Fire; Fighting/Water
Rock/Grass; Fighting/Fire; Flying/Water
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

TCStarwind wrote:Also, seconding/thirding/etc. following pokemon. But if they do that again, I want people to be shocked and surprised when I walk around with my legendaries (be impressed, damnit).
Hahaha, yes! Exactly. Especially when I have something so big it can't follow me inside buildings. Logically I know that means they go back in their pokeballs, but there's a part of me that really likes imagining a Lugia hanging around outside a shop, twiddling its wing-fingers, looking around, hoping I'll bring out a potion for it because it's feeling a mite peckish....
Image Image
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

For gameplay mechanics, the next thing I'd really love to see is terrain having an effect on different pokemon. Keep like regular tall grass as neutral territory, since it's pretty common, and keep PvP neutral with options for different territories. But then be able to go nuts. Someplace like chargestone cave or a power plant could power up electric types, while maybe restricting movement of steel types. A volcano area would boost fire types and weaken grass and water. Dark caves for dark types, deserts for ground types, etc. Make a difference between shallow water and deep water, so that in shallow it would simply power up water, but have deep water be a thing where you could only battle with water or flying types. None of this silliness! Perhaps have some narrow spaces restrict pokemon on size. This could have fun implications for gyms, which would be built to boost their chosen pokemon type.

I think this would add a lot to the actual gameplay of the game, to make you think about which pokemon to carry around.
Fury

Post by Fury »

I posted this on a similar topic over at the Bulbagarden forum:

* The return of the VS. Seeker - why this was ever removed is a mystery to me.

* Customisable trainer characters - perhaps an unrealistic expectation at this point but I'd love to be able to design my own character instead of having to choose the only female available. An option to select from a few different hairstyles, hair colours and outfits would be great.

* More post-game playability - I have never completed a Pokedex in any Pokemon game ever and I've been playing since the R/B/Y days. Running around routes I've already explored and trading on the GTS to obtain Pokemon I don't like and won't ever use is not my idea of fun. I'd love more mini-quests to keep me interested.

* A shake-up in the plot - why are we doomed to be forever chasing an evil organisation hellbent on stealing people's Pokemon or trying to rule the universe? I think it's time for a change as this format has become tired and tedious. White and Black did a good job in introducing an exciting character in N but I'd still like to see GameFreak deviate more from the whole notion of a corrupt gang with a jaded, cynical leader.

* Specific battle backgrounds - If I'm battling a trainer in a forest, I'd love to be able to see that in battle instead of just a haze of green.

* Updated cries - This would be a really welcome addition but a lot of hard work. I really love the cries of the Gen V Pokemon but those from older generations seem outdated and crappy.

* Evolutions for Pokemon who deserve it - Farfetch'd, Chatot, Sableye, Mawile, Qwilfish, Corsola, Spinda, Kecleon, Pachirisu etc.
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said here already. Especially on Pokémon that follow you around. SoulSilver is still my favourite version just for that. The PokéWalker was wonderful too, I still carry mine around with me everywhere and definitely wouldn't mind more cool little extras like that.

Another change I would like to see is the exp. gain from battling going back to the way it was before 5th gen. I don't know if they changed in B/W 2 or not, but seriously, level grinding in B/W was torture. Even levelling by hunting Audinos wasn't all that effective once your Pokémon reached a certain level.

I definitely don't see a 6th generation coming out before a R/S/E remake, but I'm fine with that. The third generation was the last one I really liked. I've only liked a handful of the 4th and 5th gen Pokémon, so I'm kind of dreading a 6th.