Interesting general gaming/internet thingies

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
daisybell

Interesting general gaming/internet thingies

Post by daisybell »

Recently in the UK there's been a lot of talk in the press about video games and most of it's been of the "games are bad for children" populist nonsense- there was a recent report http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Review which was eminently sensible but the tabloids just took the less positive bits and made them all sensationalist. I read an interesting and more balanced article here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... protection and went to go and look at the things suggested in it, and though some of them have been around for a while I hadn't come across them.

Samorost was kind of fun, though I got lazy and used a walkthrough at times because like many of these sorts of games, I get fed up with getting stuck. It's very pretty, though. I haven't tried Samorost 2 yet.

GROW seems to be incredibly established, yet I've never followed a link to it before. The version linked is the easiest, and I didn't use a walkthrough- it's fun to get the wrong outcome, actually, and find out what they all are, since some of them are just as fun as the one where you "win". I played with some of the others but get bored quickly and gave up. Something to try when I have more patience.

Hapland has been linked on NC before, I think, and is of the same sort of thing to the other two games linked. I had played before, but still resorted to a walkthrough.

Lastly, We Tell Stories is something quite different, and is well worth a look. It's sort of like interactive fiction, only you don't do anything to affect the story. I've only read the first story, The 21 Steps, and though maybe its genre is not something I'd usually go for, I really liked the way it was done (I don't want to give too much away, but I'd urge everyone to go and have a look at it, it's very clever).

I'd be interested to see what other sites people have discovered, even ones you think are quite well known- sometimes cool things just fall under your radar and you only find them out when someone else suggests them.
Neopets wishlists: here
Kidnemo

Re: Interesting general gaming/internet thingies

Post by Kidnemo »

I really love Hoshi Saga 1 and 2. They're really sleek, clever and fun, I have a feeling there might be something slightly nsfw, nothing remotely explicit but best to be careful, haha.

Curser10 is also really interesting and clever, you're basically playing the game with help from past versions of yourself.

Orisinal.com has some simple but really gorgeous games too.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I really loved Samorost and Samorost 2. Very pretty. I did the map story of We Tell Stories and got frustrated with the obviousness of the plot; I skipped ahead to the end and did a headdesk at how hackneyed it was. Still, such a creative delivery that it was worthwhile.

I found out yesterday that Die Anstalt (plushie psychiatry) has a new pet, Dub. He was hard, for me! Very hard.
Image Image
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Augh, Dub! I was SO close to "beating" him (he was my last patient), but I somehow accidentally reset the entire game. >_< I'm going to give him another try right now....
Helmcargh

Post by Helmcargh »

It's certainly a cool game Ty, although I've only treated the snake one who seemed fairly easy in comparison to the others?? Or maybe i was just lucky.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Dub was hard...partly because I can't follow instructions :P I read the help, thought "oh, hm, that makes sense" then proceeded to ignore it completely. No wonder it took me ages!

I really enjoyed the map story, partly because I'm fairly sure I've been everywhere mentioned in it in London. I like reading things when I know the places the people are, and it can sometimes make up for a story I'm not too interested in (I wouldn't have chosen to read that story otherwise - I'm not a fan of the crime/thriller genre).
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

I'm quite a fan of the genre, which was the problem; I've read/seen/heard that general plot a few times. ^_~ But I agree that it would have seemed a bit more awesome if it had been set in Los Angeles--being able to go "I've been there!" makes it much more fun!
Image Image
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Shame - put us together and you'd have the perfect audience :P (and one completely uninterested person, but eh).

I'll hopefully get round to reading the rest today - I think it's a really interesting idea to tell stories so differently.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

http://www.pixeljam.com/dinorun/ Cutest, funnest game ever. :D
Image Image
ImageImage
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Oh! I StumbledUpon that game the other day and I ended up playing it for quite a long time. It was very fun.
Image Image Image
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

And joining the ranks of those pet adoptables is..

http://www.valenth.com/index.php

:3 Pretty neat.
Image Image
ImageImage
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

I've been glued to www.defendthetowers.com for the past few days. For some reason I love these types of games and this site has a bunch to play.
Image Image Image
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Goldenchaos wrote:And joining the ranks of those pet adoptables is..

http://www.valenth.com/index.php

:3 Pretty neat.
It is pretty neat, although it seems to suffer from almost as many server issues as Subeta! I made three pets, though (the first has a Subeta Drama joke name):

Image ImageImage

I'm feeding them specific foods so they'll evolve the way I like.
Sparrow
Human Avatar: 158026

Post by Sparrow »

I apologize if this thread is too old to bump, but I didn't want to create a new topic for this just yet. I just got addicted to Valenth today, (I needed a new hobby after all the Subeta woes going on this week) and love the artwork for the lil' adoptables. I don't know if this is a new feature, but each time you feed a pet, registered users get "Krues," or currency that they can spend on items in the shop, like gorgeous background images! I'm starting out with three pets in my siggy (the fourth one I wanted isn't available anymore, darn) and am just going through the Valenth forums, feeding everyone's pets. :P Should we start a "feed me" thread if enough people here have Valenth pets? Just curious. *pokes pets in siggy* Feed plz. :D
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

a) I like this thread and want more people to add interesting internet things for me to look at, so it's all right that it's a bit older.

b) Sure, I've seen those adoptables in several signatures; you can make a new Offsite Games thread for it. I mean, at worst, no one answers. ;)
Image Image