Luminare 2011!

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Re: Luminare 2011!

Post by shaelyn76 »

Griffin, that f5 trick is helpful, though it seems to let me do about 20 and then tells me I don't have the item like you mentioned. I have been hoarding the fairies since they first came out. I always thought the art was pretty and I have a gallery dedicated to pretty things and minions, so I just threw them all in there. So I thought getting to 1000 wouldn't be that big of a deal for me since I figured I have at least half that amount in my gallery...not so much. Leaving one of each color in there, I ended up with just under 350 of the fairies I can "release"...how in the fuck is it reasonable to think that people who haven't been hoarding them will ever get close to 1000? I don't think I'll manage the 1000 until next year and even then I'm not certain I want to deal with spending a couple 100k (or more) buying htem out of user shops to get to the achievement. Grrr. I find this frustrating.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

1000 faeries would be about 10 million SP.

:|
Image Image
ImageImage
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

On a luminaire front, todays items can be combined into a new one. so don't feed them to your pet too fast!
Spoiler: open/close
Image +Image + Image= Image
They are all very pretty!
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I was lucky enough to have hoarded about 100 of each fairy last year, since they were cheap and I was bored. Was tempted to sell, but going and releasing them instead. Still 350 short though...
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Trees are up! 12 to choose from, from all of the different Subeta lands. :)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Great! I'll check in after a few hours when the site is playable again. Woo. Yeahhhh.

What's the actual point of the trees? They show up in the forum, but other than that... what? Anything?
Image Image
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

They are on your profile instead of stockings (your gifts are stacked underneath them).
shaelyn76

Post by shaelyn76 »

well color me bleh. I still need to put gifts on about 20 people's profiles and because of these trees, the site is down and I don't know when I am going to get another couple of hours this week to be on the computer. Some of us do have real lives with family and friends and jobs and such and have to work in our Subeta time between all of those things. These trees better be the coolest most awesome trees ever to make this worth it(at least for me). Pardon me if I seem overly cranky, but when I get time on Subeta without a distractions(my kids, my husband, my dog, my job)it is rare and I'm rather put out with the downtime being because of stinkin trees that I simply do not care about.Goes to try and refresh again.....

EDIT: site is back up and not terribly laggy, so I'm feeling less irritated. The trees are very pretty and it is nice that we can choose which kind we want instead of everybody having the same base. Now off to take care of those gifts I spoke of earlier.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I think all the trees are beautiful. The actual tree event I'm not so crazy about, but the art is gorgeous. I haven't decided if I'll make one yet, but if I do, picking just one will be a tough choice. I'm leaning toward the Delphi driftwood tree, but I'm also partial to the brown Riverside one, and the Carnival one (which would match my lookup the best).

I hate having things added to my profile, though. The gifts were one thing, but the tree takes up a huge amount of space and pushes all my existing features around. I'm sure I could play around with it, but since this feature came out so late, it probably isn't worth fussing over. I can deal with it for a week or so.

I don't think the ornament part was handled as well as it could have been. I haven't been playing much lately, so I don't know how easy it's been to collect them, but my impression is that it's kind of a bother. Vending and the mystery box are good options if you're not a restocker, but both still take a lot of time. Especially around the holidays, not everyone has spare hours to grind away. Why not have some floating around the site rather than the almost universally hated snow fairies? Even if the full collection isn't in circulation, maybe just the simplest ones. Or have a shop of them with fixed prices, like the Masquerade/Vesnali etc shops, for people who'd rather buy right away in bulk even if it means paying a little more. If there's one thing I've learned about Subeta, it's that there are plenty of players willing to throw money around. I also think it's strange they haven't released any cash shop ornaments, although maybe that's coming next.

I only got a chance to look at the trees and ornament page briefly before the site crashed, but I didn't notice a preview ability. Can you tell what the ornaments are going to look like before you actually buy one and put it on your tree? Lots of them have pretty item art, but as we've seen so often with clothes, the quality of the item art isn't always the same as the "wearable" version. I'm not overly inclined to buy a pricy ornament unless I know exactly what it will look like, especially if I can't take it back out of the collection.

That said, I do think it's a nice feature, and I bet people are really going to enjoy it. It's sort of sloppy, but that's hard to avoid the first time around. The staff have been much better about listening to constructive criticism during the past year, so I bet it will run much smoother, and hopefully start earlier, next year. I wonder if maybe the winter HA contest will be replaced by a tree contest?
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
shaelyn76

Post by shaelyn76 »

Ierosbats, those are all really good questions. The other thing that I have noticed is that there are a few items that have bauble or ornament in their name, but don't have the option to add to your ornament collection..what up with that? The site is lagging really really badly so I don't want to brave the forums to try and see if any of the questions have been answered yet as I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones wondering.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I like Christmas trees, so this could be really fun... if I actually had any ornaments. Details, details.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

I wish my ornaments would stop disappearing. My tree has a smiley face!

Well, I really appreciate the new features, but I probably won't do much with my tree until ornament prices come down. I'm getting tons of them from the mystery box, but I like making money more than decorating. They'd have to make some achievement like "have one of every ornament in your ornament inventory!" I shouldn't give them ideas.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

The rule of almost public bitching works. I was just about to make a post wishing that they'd put some ornaments in the giveaway they usually have this time of year, and they just posted a news post about ornaments in the free shop. They totally read my mind.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

The free shop is very helpful. The simple baubles it's giving away wind up being pretty important, because a lot of the new ornaments are huge and kind of overwhelm the tree. They're pretty, but it's hard to use more than a couple of each kind. The simpler ones help to balance it out. That said, if the new ones were any smaller, you'd probably lose too much of the detail, especially at profile/forum size.

I still haven't found a preview function on site**, but Subetalodge has a nice one. Some of the ornaments are really gorgeous. I especially like the tassels, and the stacked ornaments. But as nice as some of them are, I hope there are a few different things yet to be released. Some bows would be great. Or some candy canes, maybe some berries, holly, pinecones, snowflakes, cookies... The thing I love about Christmas trees in real life is they basically have infinite creative potential. I've seen some really amazing theme trees, and while I certainly don't expect the Subeta trees to compare to those, especially during the first year of the feature and with its technical limitations, I do think there's room for some flare. It's a fantasy site! The starfish/spaceship/pumpkin ornaments are a good start, but take it further. Maybe in the Omen Islands, they put bones on their trees. Or in the Fairground, they hang dice, or rubber ducks. Maybe in Delphi, they use wooden fish. Just like with the HA system, people WILL find a way to make zany items work.

Oh, and lights! Pleeease more lights. And, um. Less-crooked lights. The slant the current ones are at look like post-eggnog lights. Something more evenly spread out, and with smaller bulbs, would be greatly appreciated. Twinkle lights!

Sorry for all these tl;dr posts. I AM A CHRISTMAS TREE SNOB. I'm sure you can imagine how fun it is to be around me when I'm decorating my real one.

**There's probably a preview thread on the forums but I would rather die than go there.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Thanks for the tip Griffin, the mystery box is really helpfull. I also got some pretty/new/expensive ones and now I'm in doubt: sell so I can buy more christmas presents, keep because pretty or put in tree. For now I'm leaning towards keep because pretty.

So far I like the trees but I did think they overhyped it a bit. It is nice, but once your tree is done it is pretty much, well, done.

Maybe they could make a summer featuresimilar like this? Gardens? So we could do something with all the flowers we can grow? *hint hint*