Custom Wears

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Custom Wears

Post by Marah »

So the subeta forums here on NC have been rather quite lately and I miss all of your fabulous opinions so I figured I'd ask about custom wear.

The feature has been around for a few weeks, the rules have been changed allready, items have been changed allready. What does everybody think about it?
I love seeing all the pretty new art that is being made, but I feel a bit sad because in a way it means there are so many more rare items pooring into the site. (And I can't have them! AAArgh :) Still I have seen some very nice avatars with all the new goodies and that makes up for it a bit.

Occasionaly I'm also baffled about some of the art that gets 10 sign ups, because not all of it is that good. (Finding items pretty is subjective, I know, so this is merely my own opinion.)

And then of course there are the fan items changes. I didn't understand all of them (what was wrong with the chopped locks wig?) and do feel sorry for all the dissapointed snitch owners. It was a pretty snitch and allthough the new item is also pretty, it really is very different than the first snitch. (Understandably, because changing 4 things on an item that really only has 2 defining factors must be hard.)

So how is everybody experiencing this so far? Buying yourself poor because of all the new stuff? Don't dare to because of mistrust of sellers? Have favourite new items to show off? New avatars? (what are you doing here? go post in the avatar thread!) etc. Discuss away!

Also, does anybody know if there is a list somewhere of all the released customwear?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Custom Wears

Post by AngharadTy »

I find it way too expensive for me, personally; I'm not sure what it'd take for me to want to drop that much money on one item. (I skip a lot of donation presents because of this too. Am stingy, and after xmas, broke.) I am, however, very impressed by some of the art. Griffin does amazing stuff and I follow her thread just to see what else might happen, hehe. There are some other really, really good artists for the custom items. (There's also a lot of blrrrgh items--like you, I'm surprised at the taste level sometimes. We are snobs maybe.)
Image Image
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

As a seller of CWs, I guess I like it. Huge profits are a nice perk, but my main reason for participating is competition. I'm ragingly jealous of anyone who draws better or whose items are more worn and coveted than mine, and that forces me to keep trying even when business sucks. Art is my PVP. But as is frequently stated, I don't always understand what people want. I've begun to dread Subeta because of denials, withdrawals, or worse, no pings at all after releasing something I thought would do well. But it's very rewarding when it goes well and when I see someone wearing my art. Also, I completely sucked at drawing Subeta-style art before CWs came out. It forced me learn and adapt, and that's always worthwhile.

I have a lot of ideas swirling around in my head. Unfortunately, I have little time to draw right now because my algebra class looks like it's going to be a nonstop cram for a month or two.

I haven't bought any CWs myself, since I'm pretty tempered about avatars, and I probably won't consider them for TCs because of the little star. So far the only thing I definitely would've bought was Raichu's little Ditto. Ohmygod I would've worn that forever. ;_; I also came pretty close to buying those black shredded jeans, and I think I should've because I usually dress my av like that. Maybe I can trade for it someday.

Oh yeah, a list of released CWs is here. There's also a list dedicated to tribute items here.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Griffin, just as a thought, at least right now the little star doesn't show up in treasures. My friend Caleb bought me a custom item for our matching pets' treasures for Christmas, and while mine isn't up yet, the star doesn't show up in his pet's treasures. I'm not sure if that's a mistake or not - the little star is literally a little image NEXT to the item, so it might just be hard to code for treasures?

So far I've only bought one custom item - one of Griffin's! - but I'm on a waitlist for another because I am a big sucker. I own two, because as I said one was gifted to me, but most of them haven't tempted me much. Some are lovely, but 90% of them are wigs and I barely change my HA so xD
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I kept thinking about starting a topic for this, but never did, so I'm glad someone else did.

All and all, I don't think I like it, simply because it means lots and lots and LOTS more beautiful things floating around Subeta that I can never have. And I don't need to spend my computer games being tantalized by beautiful things I can never have. That's what RL is for!

More practically, I think it's really hard to keep up with the custom items coming out without having a lot more time to spend on the site than I have.

There are few dresses and maybe one wig that's come out that I'm tempted by, but not tempted enough to spend $6 on them, at least not yet. I admit I've wondered how much it would cost to commission a custom wig based on my RL hair, but I haven't started seriously looking into it.

I will say I'm astonished they didn't anticipate the problems with (and potential lawsuits over) customs based on copyrighted material BEFORE it happened.

Aside: I'm hoping Subeta comes out with a real, non-custom Companion Cube wearable. :-)
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

Jessi wrote:Griffin, just as a thought, at least right now the little star doesn't show up in treasures. My friend Caleb bought me a custom item for our matching pets' treasures for Christmas, and while mine isn't up yet, the star doesn't show up in his pet's treasures. I'm not sure if that's a mistake or not - the little star is literally a little image NEXT to the item, so it might just be hard to code for treasures?
Oh, I didn't know that. I noticed that the star was a separate overlay but I thought it'd show up everywhere. Still, I gotta draw the line with these customs or I'll go nuts over ending up with incomplete TCs! There are a lot of dogs that I'd love to have for Johann, for example, but so far I'm okay with letting them go on principle.

Also, I've been thinking about taking CW commissions. They'd be relatively cheap (I'll try to beat other people's rates 'cause like I said, it's about WINNING), and NCers would get discounts. Maybe if anyone has any ideas it'd be worth running it by me :D
Marah

Post by Marah »

Heh, I like your attitude Griffin :) And thanks for the links to the lists. There are less items actually accepted than I thought there would be.
I still have a hard time understanding some of the approved items, there are some that remind me very much of already existing items (some of the shorts specifically). and $6 seems like a steep price to pay for something that could be easily replaced by an existing item.

Your Aoife wigs are very nice Griffin! And they don't make the avatars head five times as big as it usually is, like some wigs....

I'm not seeing all that many shoes. I thought maybe there would be more. But I guess they are really hard to draw right, with the slightly lumpy feet/ankles the avatars have.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

I forgot to mention, that CW list I posted is outdated on the front page (last edit was on the 4th), but people are still posting new releases in the thread.

And yes, shoes are a nightmare. The avatar base is cankletastic and has two left feet. xD
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

One of the advantages to not getting rid of my lab ray and/or zombie skin is that most of the new CWs don't appeal to me because they'd just be wasted on an HA like mine. :P

I did break down and buy a Playfully Braided Hairband, though, because I fell in love with it and the blue color happens to go well with the #886 HA skin; and I do have some more CWs on my wishlist (though I honestly never expect to obtain them).

I don't mind CWs in theory, but some of the practices involved unnerve me. Wasn't a group of artists frozen last week because they broke a rule that they weren't even aware of until staff told them after the fact? And people lost the CSC they'd paid up-front in the process? And then there was the whole fandom item revamp clusterfuck. It makes me wary of getting involved with CWs in the future, both as a customer and a creator.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

They should have been aware of the rule. It has always been against the rules to sell items for real money, which they were doing (selling items for 600CSC or $6 USD). They were unfrozen, anyway.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

I can understand the ambiguity in paying for custom wears with real money - while you can't sell items for USD, you can sell art for USD; I can see the blur between custom wears and art and think it should have been a bit clearer originally.

Personally, I haven't purchased one CW yet surprisingly! I am honestly pretty shocked with myself as I hadn't even imposed a 'no CW' rule on myself at all. I was worried I'd be overrun with temptation and go a bit crazy but thusfar have managed to avoid temptation. I would have very much liked a slot for a certain custom wearable (the Partycrasher Sidecut. So perfect. ;_;) but sadly I was too late and it wasn't to be. The artist said she wouldn't be rereleaseing it, either, so with only nine others on the site, I can imagine how much they'd sell for (I recently saw a bid of 2.5k csc on a wearable!) which makes me sad.

I'm also rather blessed to have lots of friends in my cult who are buying lots of the pretties that have been catching my eye, so I can borrow if I'd like (as I am now). There are some things that I think are very pretty (hoisery has been catching my eye lately) but am not sure I can justify shelling out 600 CSC for, so it's nice to have the option.
Subeta: Thomas
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I'm glad to hear they're unfrozen; last I'd read there were still people worried that they'd never get their CSC back because the user they'd sent it to hadn't been unfrozen yet (but that was also about a week ago, so... yeah >_>' ).

My understanding of the situation is that those particular CW creators thought their items could be treated like commissioned art, hence charging USD for slots. Er, what Tom said. :P
Marah

Post by Marah »

bwuh? I don't get it, aren't all the items selling for real money? One item costs 600csc which equals 6 dollars. Isn't that what everybody has been doing, how this entire system works? So why did people get frozen?
Or were they selling it for actual dollars, leaving subeta as middle man out of it?
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Right... that's my understanding of how the whole system works, too. You give them 600 CSC, they give you an item.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Marah wrote: Or were they selling it for actual dollars, leaving subeta as middle man out of it?
Yes, this is what they were doing. So they were making real money off the sale of each item, which is a big no-no.

Basically, you're allowed to commission the item/overlay art in USD, but once that's submitted to the site and becomes an actual item, it can only be bought with CSC or sp. You can't turn around and sell your nine extra copies of the item for $5 or $6 each.