Possible big site layout revamp coming

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Possible big site layout revamp coming

Post by AngharadTy »

I don't like the cheesy shadows under the HAs. That's really not gonna work with some backgrounds/foregrounds/etc.
Image Image
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Here's a screenshot of the wardrobe. The screenshot doesn't include search, which Keith says is going to be added.

I don't really like or dislike it. I'm curious as to what the price tag symbol on the upper left means. Also I don't see a way to sort the items by what you own, all wearables, and recently added. I do hope they also include a way to sort between normal and custom wearables.

As a side note, the more I see that stupid arrow underneath the headings along the top (in this case "Subta") the more I hate it. The link is already highlighted, is an arrow really necessary?
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

Having your username/sp/csc/active pet info more than once on the same page seems totally unnecessary. Again, so much clutter. Who needs to know which pet is active when you're making a HA? What does that have to do with anything? When I'm making a HA I want to start with a clean slate so I can see how items look together without distractions. I don't want to feel like the HA is secondary to the enormous username right above it.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

That looks incredibly confusing. I like the idea of showing what the item looks like on (which isn't always obvious from the item image) but it also is going to make the wardrobe lists HUGE. And, I agree about the sP/active pet/ etc.

I'm hoping the price tag provides some sort of way to quickly user-shop-search for something that you're trying on but don't own.

We'll see.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

That wardrobe layout looks like it's going to be a BITCH to load on slower connections. So many images...
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

^ THIS. I far prefer a text list to the table of images when I'm searching for a specific item. If they have to use images, I'd prefer they stick with the item image.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Have you guys tried Arvee at all, concerning the speed of loading? It works in a pretty similar way, displaying all the items, and I find the loading times to be pretty fair even with a mediocre connection. With the screenshot a lot of the information does seem unnecessary but I can imagine them trimming it down. At the London meetup, Keith mentioned a few things that they had planned for the wardrobe. One of the ideas they wanted to implement was a dynamic tagging system - where users could earmark clothing how they wanted - as only 2%(?) of active users work with drawers. The best part was that you could implement other people's tags. To me this sounds great! I like the idea of things being organised but hate having to laboriously go through and mark clothing. He also talked about how we would be able to publish our avatars from Arvee as the interface is more practical than Subeta's, but with a big revamp anyway, I don't know if this would happen anymore.
Subeta: Thomas
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

Earmarking clothes sounds promising; I'm one of the 98% that doesn't use drawers :P The biggest reason why I don't use them is that they're not integrated with the main wardrobe page. If I could simply click an "add to favorites" button on an item in my wardrobe, or could drag and drop it into a category, I would use drawers all the time.

I just hope the new wardrobe system will allow you to access all areas (facial features, hair salon, etc.) on the same page! I hate that I have to save my avatar to go play with the hair salon or change my mouth, etc. And I want to be able to dress up while wearing a salon hairstyle before I decide to pay for it.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Agreed re: drawers. It's a neat idea in theory and just too much work in practice: just too much of a pain. Plus once I fill a drawer with wigs (say) it's too hard to go back and find new wigs that I've added to my wardrobe and haven't put in a drawer yet.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I have all my 7740 clothes sorted into drawers. I might have a little nervous breakdown if that all goes away, because, yes, that was loads of work!

And wings, in your example you could select the clothes that aren't in any drawers (no drawer) and the head category. It should be do-able to select the new wigs from that group.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Call me crazy but I really like the look of it. I like the bookmark feature but the old layout was always a big turn off for me. I think the avatar thing is interesting but I hardy mess with avatars.
ImageImageImageImage
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I use a few drawers; I periodically sort it all by recently added, choose "no drawer," and figure out what still needs to be put away. I enjoy organizing things sometime and that's just enough for my tastes.
Image Image
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

So another update on the layout:
http://raw-pixel.com/private/subeta-staging/

Keith says to make the browser small so you can see how it scales and would look on a phone...or you can just do what I did and load the link itself on your phone. It scales pretty well and is tons better that the old one, though I'm pretty sure anything would be better than the old layout.

It's nice to see what it looks like on a actual page. I still don't really like the overall feel of it, it seems to...big? Blocky? I dunno. Hard to describe. I don't like any of the icons and wish they had gotten staff to draw something. They just look way to generic. I also dislike Cash Shop button being constantly highlighted and if it is not removed I hope it is via CustomCSS.

Also, I miss the clock :(
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

NOOOO BRING THE CLOCK BACK

Other than that, the scaling is interesting. No problems with that. It's very blue, though. Like I'm being completely distracted by how blue it is. I liked the green better; it matched the standard layout. And comments underneath news posts (achievements?) still need to go away. You're not going to convince me to care about what people are talking about in news posts, you just aren't.

But I do like that the event notices have dates and times on them now. No more hovering on pings to check how long they've been there! :D
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

Web Design Trends I Hate:
• The bubble thing. Not every element needs rounded corners and drop shadows. Oh well.
• Fixed horizontal menus. It's bad enough when they're permanently at the top; the whole page turns top-heavy and claustrophobic. But the ones partway down the page that click into place when you scroll—ugh. That little jerk drives me crazy every time.
• Putting transitions on every damned thing. Look, I like transitions; they're fancy toys, and if the design actually has some call for them they can be lovely. I've been known to use sliding drawers to fair effect. But I'm pretty sure there is no reason anything would ever need a tenth of a second's worth of fade. The whole point of link hovers is the immediate feedback the user gets from the UI; why make them second-guess that? When you hover over a menu title, the menu body shows up immediately, but there's a delay before the title shows the selection. Because of the transition! It's a hell of a stutter, and it's going to make me think it's my computer that's lagging. I will be driven absolutely mad.
• Forcing antialiased font-smoothing instead of subpixel-antialiased. If there's one thing I wish I could make people on the internet stop doing it's this. It is measurably less crisp than the default! Yes, guys, it works great for Tumblr—because they use it on the UI elements and not on the body text. The chrome is softened and drawn away from the user's focus, allowing the bolder content to come forward. I'm pretty sure trying to read that just-slightly-blurry text for any appreciable length of time causes actual, physical eyestrain.

Other things: the drop-down hover menus don't work consistently, because there's a space between the menu title and the actual body of the menu. Seriously? Glaring flaw. That, and the "filter" menu does absolutely nothing... hopefully they're planning on filling that in. I kind of miss the clock too. The green was better (this particular blue gradient thing is ultra-generic), but presumably there'll be a different color scheme for each theme. Anyway, props on the scaling. The whole thing's pretty passable; there's really nothing wrong with it that can't be fixed.