Heya!

Non-neopets general discussion.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Heya!

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I'm back!

A new computer, whee! MUCH overdue in getting one. I'm not afraid that booting up will kill this one. :-p

I see that this forum has really slowed down, with several things factoring in I'm sure.

I'm still undecided if I actually want to put forth the effort to get my Neopets account back. I still have no idea why they froze it 4 years ago, but it seems to still be in their system.

And I'm still mostly spending my free time playing Pokémon GO, mostly solo in the car, with occasional quick walks to some favorite spots when I'm not worried about running into other people.

I hope you all are doing well!
Madge

Re: Heya!

Post by Madge »

I'm doing great! Still sendin' you pogo gifts when I remember :D

Apparently neopets is so low traffic now that they will unfreeze basically anyone for basically any reason, so it might be worth a try. I'm kind of considering dusting off the one account that somehow survived my email account breach (UC krawk and UC draik so i'm basically a celebrity), but I don't know what I'd do. I was into the characters and roleplaying but apparently it's now just about trading pets? And I get my characters/roleplaying type itch scratched with the gay vampire romance novel i'm writing on AO3 (yes really).

Glad you're doing well.

It's sad that neopets is now on life support, it was such a huge part of my life and how I met my best friend, and now it's just kinda pathetic. I wish it could be open sourced somehow and given to the fans. But I suppose we're not in the 2000s internet anymore, are we?
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Yeah, as much as I like some of the customizations I put on my pets' clothing and backgrounds, etc., that seemed to be part of the downward spiral. They had to make all the poses the same aside from the really super-different ones, so UC/grandfathered pets were a rare thing. And when they basically grabbed for money for anything that was cool looking, it drove down interest. There's only so much people are willing to pay out for stuff before they get burnt out on it. And the site keeps getting sold off to the next willing entity, so the original creators and artists are pretty much out of the scene.

PoGO strikes more of a balance of "freemium," to me, and I'm not just sitting at a computer all day for it - I'm getting out, moving around (at least some of the time), and interacting with the people I actually consider friends in Georgia. As for opening gifts, I'm waiting for our May events to start to open the "cool location" gifts and hope for eggs. I like collecting Pokémon originating from different places! I try to stay on top of sending out gifts. I'm fairly good at that lately, but I sometimes slack off or don't get out to snag many gifts to send.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I just get a bit lazy with the gift sending :). We're lucky in that if things keep going the way they have been we'll have no active cases this time next week and it will hopefully stay that way or near enough. I've actually started doing C25K to get some exercise on my working with home days (because my greyhound doesn't love two walks as much as I thought she would).
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

*taps mic* Is this thing on? ;D

Hey guys, it's been forever! Can't believe my account still existed. Not sure about anyone else but, the announcement of a new Neopets mobile had me reminiscing about the good ole days and I had to stop by to take a peek. Definitely not a busy place like it used to be, but it's encouraging to see 2 names I recognize!

I don't know what my plans are right now. 13 years ago I went through a mess of trying to get my hacked accounts and pets back, and then I went inactive again eventually for a much longer time and, welp, looks like they're frozen again and most of my pets have been given out like candy. :(

I managed to recover one of my side accounts which had one important pet on it, so that's a start I guess. I sent an email to support, I have no idea what to expect from them nowadays or if they'll even be able to help me with an account that's literally 20 years old. Can't hurt to try though!

Hope everyone's been doing well. :)
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

I'm doing great! Ish! Who knows! I was so excited to see your username.

Nothing really to report because... life is so big and expansive. I'm super stressed right now because of uni (yep... back at uni) and my unemployed partner and my leaky roof, but this is temporary, so it will pass.

We've got a facebook group - should be able to PM you a link to it. It's... also basically deserted but Illuen and Jazzy and TLT and I think also Fjorab are there for next time you're in a nostalgic mood.
Mistress Morbid

Oh boy, I haven't had FB in....decades, I'm not much for social media, but glad to hear some of the gang's still kicking around! :D It's wild to think how many years have gone by and how much older we must be, always have fond memories of this place being one of the cornerstones of my young internet years and forming a community/friendships online.
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

Yeah, it's a pity that the community couldn't stay but... how can you when the thing you rallied around slowly and inexorably went to shit lol? e_e
Mistress Morbid

Yeah...I know right now I'm in prime nostalgia mode, and part of me wants to rediscover that magic, but I don't know how long it'll last (especially if I'm unable to recover my stuff)

I never did forgive them when they homogenized the pet artwork for that dress-up gimmick.

On a different note though, I've been doing pretty well. My husband and I are still together, it's been 15 years now I think? My major obsession since leaving Neopets has been World of Warcraft, I've been active since the start and it's my focus for online community stuff these days. But I have to acknowledge my roots here!

Sidenote I'm trying not to cringe too much at the thought of everyone's memories of me are like 15 years old now. I feel like an entirely different person in some ways, but also not in others.
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

I think we're all like that :). It's a fun little weird bond we all share. I know I was major cringey as a teenager too.

Yeah, the homogenous pet artwork and the sale to jumpstart which resulted in all the staff being layed off were too horrible things.

My little dream that I posted in another thread somewhere (I think with whats-her-name's help) was to crowdfund the fans buying the site, and basically have it run not for profit on a subscription model of some sort. Or hope that some celebrity was a huge neopets fan in their teens and buys it the same way Kutcher bought myspace lol...
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Well hi!! Nice to see you too!

I'm still the goofy overgrown kid who's older than most of the others but not necessarily the most mature. I haven't changed much, relatively. :-p

My main hesitations to investing the effort into recovering my Neopets main are 1) now I'm more into Pokémon GO, which doesn't have me sitting on my duff at home all day, and 2) blah more runaround for what might still not get anywhere. I miss the games, mostly. And although I get the gimmicky feel about the customizations, too, I like the artwork on some of it.
Mistress Morbid

That makes sense! It's definitely not quite the same as it was 10+ years ago, but maybe enough time's passed that I can casually return and find ways to enjoy it again without devoting all my time to it haha.

Since I was able to get back the pets that meant the most to me, I'm feeling a lot more invested now. I've got catching up to do on the plots and events that happened while I was inactive (also doh, I chose a terrible time to come back since I just missed out on signups for the Altador Cup this year). I'm also really curious to see how they're going to handle this change to a mobile-friendly site and also the upcoming death of Flash. I'm seeing lots of people returning out of nostalgia so maybe Neopets will have a second wind!
Image Image