Kidnemo

Re: RL Achievements and ToW

Post by Kidnemo »

Soooooo cute, you should call it la pequena winehouse =x
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Kidnemo wrote:la pequena winehouse =x
Just for the record, if you have a weak stomach do not search that on youtube.
Image Image Image
Kidnemo

Post by Kidnemo »

Monkeyguy wrote:
Kidnemo wrote:la pequena winehouse =x
Just for the record, if you have a weak stomach do not search that on youtube.
Haha, seriously, don't ever, (edit:regardless of your stomach's strength). She/he was on Lily Allen's show last night. My god.
Spivsy

Post by Spivsy »

this arsey mod on a forum I mod at edited all the posts in a topic to be all about white supremacy and racism -_-. So I've had to try and remember what the original posts were and asking the posters what they were so I can edit them all back.
Nobody wants a topic in their forum like that, and it's all very annoying.

EDIT: and now he's banned me for the day. Fantastic.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

Achievement: I'm FINALLY getting away from Texas!

The fiance (who now has a lobstering job) and I are moving to an island on mid-coast Maine. We're leaving Friday. I can't wait!
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I'm a touch envious. I LOVE lobster, and I have a soft spot for Maine. I lived on the Maine/New Hampshire border near the coast when I was a baby, too young to remember anything though. I went to visit up there about 2 years ago, and I love it there. I love my east Tennessee mountains, but nobody around here can do any justice to seafood, and winters are pitiful since the early '90s.
Sagrei

Post by Sagrei »

I got a 1948 Graflex press camera for my birthday.

My brain overloaded when I opened it up, so all I can really say about it is: enormous, heavy, complicated, old, and omg so pretty.
Strawberry Limeade

Post by Strawberry Limeade »

Sagrei wrote:I got a 1948 Graflex press camera for my birthday.

My brain overloaded when I opened it up, so all I can really say about it is: enormous, heavy, complicated, old, and omg so pretty.

Interesting! I like that the link you included describes it as "a handheld 4x5" which is a wonderfully absurd concept to me. I know you play around with various cameras, but do you actually shoot 4x5? If so, I will be wanting to see the results!
Sagrei

Post by Sagrei »

It's a handheld camera for people with significantly more upper-body strength than I have. The camera body, unloaded, weighs 5 pounds. The film holder adds another pound to that. I just put them on my bathroom scale to check. This is just the film and camera: the flash attachment allegedly takes D batteries (from the size, I'd guess three or four at minimum) and I don't even want to know how much weight that would add.

The amazing thing is the engineering: as big as it is, there's really no wasted space. It all folds flat into a surprisingly compact metal box, which I'd guess is wonderful protection against any sort of abuse. It's thick strong metal. The joke is that press photogs carried two: one to shoot with and the other to stand on. I've also heard that they're a great way to get yourself out of an angry mob if you're in a hurry.

I've never shot large format, and it'll probably be a while before I get around to using this camera. The film and processing are crazy expensive (compared to medium format), and I'll likely have to mail it across the country because there aren't any large format developers where I am. If I had a darkroom of my own this wouldn't be as much of a concern.. but I don't. That, and my tripod isn't quite strong enough.

Still, it's a blast just to play with the thing - it's so old and strange! - and it's got me wanting to shoot more film and fewer pixels. All in all, a fantastic present.
Kidnemo

Post by Kidnemo »

I got an iPhone for my birthday, I'm on it right now. Holy shit. (happy OlliE Day to all.)
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Kidnemo wrote:I got an iPhone for my birthday, I'm on it right now. Holy shit. (happy OlliE Day to all.)
Lucky! I can't bring myself to spend that much money, so I'm just entering every iPhone/iPod Touch contest I see lol.
Image Image Image
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

KU just won their Final Four game against UNC and is off to the Championship Game!

..okay, unless you're a college basketball/NCAA nut like I am, you don't care. BUT I SURE DO! GO KU!
Kidnemo

Post by Kidnemo »

Monkeyguy wrote:
Kidnemo wrote:I got an iPhone for my birthday, I'm on it right now. Holy shit. (happy OlliE Day to all.)
Lucky! I can't bring myself to spend that much money, so I'm just entering every iPhone/iPod Touch contest I see lol.
Haha, yeah it is quite a price tag, I did make a contribution though, and I'm paying the monthly fees, (edit: out of my allowance.) Just thought I'd add that.. heh.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

I'm buying a car. I'm not sure whether this is an achievement or a woe, as I'm not happy about needing one, and not happy about spending the money... but I will finally have a car of my very own, which is nifty. I had been thinking about it, but was forced into a decision by the bus I take to work being detoured way out of the way because of construction - I could still take the bus but it would take an hour, which is about the same time as it took to walk when I tried the other day.
Alecko
Human Avatar: 267595

Post by Alecko »

Achievement: I've submitted my dissertation over the past couple of days. :D The main report was electronically submitted so I sent it on on Monday night (deadline was midday Tuesday) and the research journal/declaration was handed in yesterday. I was so glad to get rid of it finally!

Just a pity I've still got another essay and four exams to go before I finish.