RL Achievements and ToW

Non-neopets general discussion.
Madge

Re: RL Achievements and ToW

Post by Madge »

Fair enough! I also don't like the whole "top sites" thing that Chrome started. It's a good idea but not something I really want for myself.

Goodness knows that although we have macs in our office, I installed firefox on mine quicksmart ;)
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Foghawk wrote: They said you couldn't uninstall it.

But I did, bitches. B)

I have nothing important to add to the Safari input (as I've never tried it before) I just wanted to say that was so hilarious, foghawk! That made my night.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Achievement - I bought a wedding dress today (well put a deposit on it at least), it is very lovely and I'm stupidly excited about it. Roll on September so I can actually wear it and be all pretty and stuff :D
Silver Link

Post by Silver Link »

Grats. When I went wedding dress shopping with my sister (her wedding was in September), it was a lot of fun. She only tried on 3 or 4 dresses before finding the right one (and you just know when you do) and it was overall a fun process, though I'm sure it sometimes isn't for other people.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I only tried on four and went with the second one I tried. I found the most gorgeous veil too but it was over £100 which seemed ridiculous for a little fluff of fabric - I may have to investigate ebay for that! Chosing the second dress I tried has broken my run of everything being the first thing viewed or tried. So far we've ended up with the first venue we saw, first florist we visited and first photographer we met! It's not even just the wedding plans that always seem to the first. My house is the first house I saw when viewing properties!
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Madge wrote:Fair enough! I also don't like the whole "top sites" thing that Chrome started.
The thing you can disable now? ;)
Image Image
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I had a couple of interviews in the past few days. Yay! I was surprise to get even one this time of year but two, whoo!
Anywho the first interview was at an old folks home working in housekeeping/kitchen work. They are just hiring casual so it will be just now and again. I don't know if I'll get this one, seeing as I have no experience in housekeeping, working around seniors or doing serving food. But I have my fingers crossed.
The second one was at a pharmacy/convent store. This one I feel I might get, seeing as I worked at Wal-Mart for 3 years so I have experience in retail. I feel I could of answered some of the questions better and I was beating myself up most of the day because of it. This job is only part time but I'll take what I can get. They said they would call me Monday or Tuesday if I got the job, if I don't hear from them then it's not mine. So double the finger crossing.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Madge

Post by Madge »

Background: as part of my studies, I have to get a total of 16 weeks of vacation work working for an engineering and computer science company (I think 8 in each). I managed to apply for one vacation work programme, which was very bad of me because I applied for one of the most competitive and also only applying for one really limits my options, but that is the way things go.

Anyway, I got a call yesterday saying that my application was good enough for a job interview :) I'm very excited because if I get this job it'll be really really awesome, but it's still going to be competitive at the interview stage - apparently I get 10 minutes reading time and then a half hour interview?!!? Reading time for an inteview? WHAT?

Anyway, I need to go shopping today so that way I can have some nice clothes as I don't actually own any professional clothes since I've never actually worked in a professional environment before =/. This is going to be hard, I am not much of a shopper and Anna was busy so I am going with my male friend who I am not sure how good he will be at helping but I guess we'll find out?

But fingers crossed! If I do get this - I'm friendly and such in person but tend to talk too fast/loud so that might kill me - I'll be very happy. A pretty good wage (considering it's vac work; I'll probably be earning less per hour than I earn doing tech support/posting here/playing neopets, but I have to do this and they're training me), plus when I'm at uni I get $150 a week 'sustenance' allowance for doing jack all :). Oh! And they will hire me when I graduate.

Excited eeeeeeeeeeeeee.

-------

On a completely different note, I'm at the moment halfway through proofreading an 11,800 word document that is a group assignment that we'll be submitting soon. My group consisted of me, this guy I know, and 3 Norwegian girls. Their english is not stellar. It's far better than my Norwegian or French, but they for some reason keep writing "an" instead of "and"?!

We also need to get it down to 10500 words maximum. It started at 11880 when I was proofreading and I've now got it down to 11556, just by deleting one or two words here and there. But doesn't look like it'll be enough lol :P

Anyone have tips for nuking word count?
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Madge wrote:Anyone have tips for nuking word count?
Hmmm, what's the essay about? A lot of times I've reduced my word count when I have a lot of "mini-theories" that are unimportant to the whole paper, or even fairly useless jargon that I babble about to make the paper longer.

(Ex 1: "I think that from this statement/quote"....)
(Ex 2: The author cannot see it from X point of view. He/she is insisting their argument is right because....)

There are plenty of these small opinions that are probably in the document that aren't siginificant at all.

~~~

Achievement: I got an 87% from the "grammer-contraction queen" on my midterm! I crammed for about 30 hours over the course of 5 days to cover chapters 1-13. I had to bring my book to work to write answers in the review questions. My Spanish class ate up too much of my time, and this health class is part chemistry (one of my worst subjects). Luckily for me, the bulk of the essay was on vitamins, and various health conditions and not chemical reactions.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Madge

Post by Madge »

It's a project execution plan for a LNG processing plant, so it doesn't have any opinions in it whatsoever - it contains tons of sections (it's 47 pages!), and contains things such as lists of stakeholders and their importance/effects, information about risks and how to account for it (my section), the schedule, the different phases, budgeting, etc. There's little to no babbling - I got rid of that in my first culling ;)

Getting rid of a good 800 words by removing a few redundancies and a bunch of things like "thes" and "ands" may have been enough. Hopefully everyone else will look through their sections and nuke what they can.

For example, we had to produce a 90% confidence value for a contingency fund to set aside, but I also decided to produce a 95% confidence value one too because I thought it showed foreward thinking or something, but it's not necessary so I could remove the sentence.

I also combined several pairs of sentences into one sentence. Hopefully getting rid of the next 400 words won't be hard. That's, what, 30 sentences or so.

ETA: After spending 3 hours proofreading/editing I got it down to about 10,900 words. Didn't realise I hadn't mentioned that in my post. I did it at work so I got paid $26/hr to do it, too. I love my job.
AND I went shopping and now have interview clothes.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I am in California now, situated in a hotel room in a city between LA and San Francisco.

Tomorrow, the rental house/apartment hunt begins in earnest. We were originally thinking we would move into the town that is closer to his jobsite, but part of his job includes early morning physical training they do in the larger city nearby (meaning that PT and shopping will be quicker to access)...so depending on which city the "best abode" is in, it's a tossup. The house in the little town that i liked the best seems to be in a noisy little neighborhood with stray pets. At one point, we saw a small critter, and my husband asked me if it was a cat or dog - a Chihuahua apparently, running loose in the middle of the road. And my husband's new coworker buddies apparently know of a decent set of apartments in the city.

Also, i will soon be checking out laptop computers for serious. I might end up getting one bigger than originally hoped in favor of a WXGA+ (1440x900 16:10) or better resolution. And by the time i can justify getting one, they'll be well into W7 release.

I'm using my husband's Toshiba for now. I like pretty much everything about it but the touch pad. The new Toshibas i've checked out have touch pads that feel pretty good to me (for when i don't have surface to put out a mouse), so his offer to give me this one is negatory. My usually horrible typing is exacerbated by the keyboard that i'm not used to yet.

And *deep breath* now i throw myself into this new Neo-plot? Hopefully i won't be too lost. I've missed out on some various things on the site already because of non-internet time and not logging in here to see what's new. I've pretty much only been on my Neo dailies, email, and Facebook since regaining some 'net time. It's weird to be in Neopets time (Pacific Standard) and knowing that a "reasonable time of evening" for me means that my friends and family back home are about asleep.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I'm going to Las Vegas tomorrow with some Subeta friends -- HotRoxy, Jessyta, Ariel, Nikki, Rah, Coli and Carol! We're attending a Halloween party at the Hard Rock and doing loads of other fun stuff while we're there. I'm excited! I've only hung out with one of them in person before (Roxy) and that was six years ago! :)
Arviragus

Post by Arviragus »

Achievement!

For the first time ever, I have a kitten. His name is Hemsky, he's about 9 weeks old, and he thinks he's a monkey. His current favourite things include sitting on my head and grooming my hair and peeing everywhere but in his litter box. He's currently wedged between my butt and the couch, purring and dead to the world.
Subeta
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

He sounds very awesome and you should definitely post photos to our pet thread. Because the one thing the internet needs, really needs, is MORE KITTEN PHOTOS DAMMIT
Image Image
Arviragus

Post by Arviragus »

As soon as he settles down some, I will for sure take pictures. Right now he's still in the "I must run from everything!" phase, so I have lots of pics of his butt as he disappears around corners or behind my fridge.
Subeta