Tigrean Revamp (Completed May 31, 2013)

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Ierosbats

Tigrean Revamp (Completed May 31, 2013)

Post by Ierosbats »

ImageImage

As always, the new art is very pretty. And for once, an artist (Bean, from the sounds of it?) actually removed emo-hair and chest-fluff, rather than adding it! Hooray! That said, it has the same problem that so many subeta pet revamps have: beautiful new art, but the attitude of the original pet is lost. A few people in the news post are saying things like "But guys, tigers are SUPPOSED to be bulky and intense" but that's missing the point. Maybe that's true for tigers, but we're talking about Tigreans, and Tigreans are supposed to be sleek and suave and mischievous. I don't get that vibe from the new one. I think the new face is pretty, but not true enough to the current version. It looks too wide, and too rounded. I like the current eyeliner look, even if it is a fairly stylized choice.

I like the new body a lot, though. The stripes are very nice. My only concern is the butt. It looks almost... too defined? Is that a feline anatomy thing? The shiny highlights and red coat are giving me serious Flanders "It's like I'm wearing nothing at all!" flashbacks.

I'm also concerned about the redraws. Someone in the news post comments asked what would happen to Reborn and Glacier, and Bean said yes, they will be revamped to match the updated version. Understandable, but as a Glacier Tigrean owner, I'm nervous. I love that art so, so much. I know that if I don't like the revamp, I can always use the old version as an overlay, but I hate doing that. I tried it when my Graveyard Sheeta and Angelic Kora were changed, but it just didn't take, and I wound up changing both of them. There's something depressing about staff deciding that old art isn't good enough to be official anymore.

Overall, I think it's a very promising revamp, and I'm looking forward to the final version.
Last edited by Ierosbats on 01 Jun 2013 01:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Tigrean Revamp

Post by AngharadTy »

It is a fantastic tiger. I like the tiger a lot. But I am going to hate and mourn the loss of the tigrean. The face is a great tiger face and an abysmal tigrean face. I do love the stripes, which are nicely tigrean enough for my tastes.

The Flanders "nothing at all" thing is spot on! Exactly sums up what I was thinking about dat ass. Weirdly humanly rounded ass. Not on board with ass. It's also kind of narrow considering how bulky the tiger is.

I adore tigreans; there's always one or two in my pool when I'm deciding on a new pet (I love nuclear especially, have almost gotten galactic a few times, and would own glacier if I wasn't able to live vicariously through friends). I see no reason for an update at all, from my point of view, although I get it, Subeta pets aren't supposed to look like that anymore... whatever. They look good and this tiger is pretty neat but it's NOT A TIGREAN.
Image Image
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Ditto on the "not a Tigrean!" sentiment. I am also worried about my dear Ishka, who has been a Glacier Tigrean since they were released.

Like Ierosbats mentioned, this is a fantastic tiger without a doubt and on a petsite with more realistically styled pets I would likely get one. However it doesn't look like a Subeta pet, which saddens me since most of the recent revamps are traveling down this route. For a site that is trying to break away from the real world by making it's own holidays and such, it sure is doing an outstanding job of making all the pets look like standard earth animals.

The new realistic body doesn't mesh too well with the Tigrean's basic-shaped rounded legs and paws if that makes any sense. I also don't like the shaggy belly fur, makes him look bulkier then he needs to be. Tigreans always looks pretty narrow and sleek to me. I will say I am happy the hair flop and chest fluff is gone.
I think the head is throwing me the most on this revamp though, just doesn't look like a Tigrean to me.

Yay for keeping the wing shaped stripes on the back though Bean!!
Last edited by Seerow on 20 Apr 2012 01:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Man. I own both a Glacier and Reborn Tigrean and the comments about those revamps make me very, VERY nervous.

I agree with the previous comments -- it's nice art, but it looks to bulky and mean to be a Tigrean.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I don't like it at all. It's legs are far too short for that body, making it look corgi-ish (which would be fine if it were a corgi). Maybe if the massive amounts of chest fluff were gotten rid of, this wouldn't be a problem (Dialga's redlines in the news comments fix it quite nicely). Getting rid of the fluff would also make it look like it had some forshortening in the body, which I think is completely missing now. It looks like it's all rib cage and that if you turned it to a full profile view, the spine ends right after the rib cage, like so:

Image (original image for comparison, also I didn't change the length of the legs here)

I'm also now concerned about its butt, which I hadn't noticed before (thanks, guys!). The eyes need to be a bit bigger, and the nose (and possibly the muzzle as a whole) needs to be less wide. The head just bothers me, and I don't know why; I think I just like the sharper look the current's face has much more. I really like that the current tigrean looks more like an exotic house cat. I don't think it needs to be transformed into something that's basically just an off-color tiger.

I'll agree with the others, it just doesn't look like a tigrean. I was looking into getting a tigrean for a future pet, but without a drastic overhaul to this revamp, I'm not so sure about that now. :(
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

The art on the new one is objectively very good.

It just seems like a completely different pet, so I had to vote for the old one.
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

Really? I don't feel like a revamp is needed here (and a drastic one, at that). Especially when you got pets like the WARADOR hanging around.

Anyways... Um... I don't like it, honestly. The face is the first thing that jumps out at me. The eyes are smaller, the ears are smaller, the nose is bigger, and it's like fluffier (wider?)? Perhaps because it's facing us rather than turned, but eh. The legs also bother me, although I can't explain why. I also wish the tail was in front, rather than behind it's back leg.
(I'm horrible at expressing thoughts, so my apologies if my criticism isn't particularly constructive.)

Appears I'm in the minority, though (based off of the poll and news comments). :| I have a pet that can't be anything but a Tigrean, so I'll just have to suck it up...
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Teera

Post by Teera »

To be honest, if this is what I could have done when the original revamp was being polled, this is where I would've gone with it. I just wasn't very good at big cats then, and the parts that people see as features now I see as mistakes (the ears in particular. Why did I make them so huge? They were even bigger on the proposed, those are toned down.) I want to fix them. But I'm also not completely against it, and I'm reading all the feedback. :)
I'm also concerned about the redraws. Someone in the news post comments asked what would happen to Reborn and Glacier, and Bean said yes, they will be revamped to match the updated version.
They'd have to be, but I know that those are the more popular Tigreans, so I know how careful I'll need to be (and I've already been through Reborn revamp drama once.) My plan is to stick as close as possible to how they are now. Poses will stay the same, as well as attitudes.
covet

Post by covet »

It does look like a different pet. Despite its name, the Tigrean I'm used to is cat-like. Skinny and sleek and cute. I don't like this big butch tiger at all. I'd be fine seeing it introed as a different pet, but it's just not a Tigrean.
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I didn't realize you'd done the original revamp of the Tigrean Bean. Can I just say its amazing to see how your art style/skill has improved since then :)
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

As a non-Subetan who only lurks here for the art, I totally love the (proposed?) new pet, it loses the kawaiineko-ness of the first version (with only 3 toes, large eyes, big ears) and looks super fierce. But I'm definitely looking at it as a tiger and not a Tigrean As In The Pet.

The stripe pattern on the forehead is SO COOL 8)

/comments from uninformed bystander
Thank you for the av and sig set!
Larkspurlane @ neo
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

But the current tigrean was a revamp of older art and still stayed the same species. The new tigrean, while better art overall, is not the same species. Even if you secretly wished you had made the ears smaller, the fact remains that they aren't smaller, and that is a feature of the Tigrean.

Sometimes it seems like the artists on Subeta forget that they aren't just making their own personal art--they're producing art for the masses to consume. Joss Whedon recently said, "All worthy work is open to interpretations the author did not intend. Art isn't your pet--it's your kid. It grows up and talks back to you." You didn't intend to make them have such big ears, but they do, and now people see them as things with big ears. It happens; work evolves. Subeta too frequently tries to ignore its own evolution--the dragon/rreign drama is a prime example of why that can go badly. (I for one still hate the word "rreign" and think that the dragon got robbed, and even though I like a couple of the repose colors now, I still hate the rest of the rreign.)

For the record, the previous Tigrean, the current Tigrean, and the proposed revamp:

Image Image Image

Tigrean, Tigrean, tiger with Tigrean markings. Couldn't be any plainer. It's like having a fox pet turn into a coyote. They are both great animals, but foxes aren't coyotes.
Image Image
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I like it, I still think it has that mischievous grin on its face and it looks like a big floofy Siberian Tiger. Who hasn't wanted to own a big floofy siberian tiger at some point? (No? Just me?) I never was a big fan of the old tigrean, so that probably helps. I didn't like the old cartoonish head. I once had a reborn tigrean (nicely named) from the pound, but put her back, because I just couldn't get attached to the face. So unlike many tigrean owners here I might be regretting not having a tigrean anymore when the revamp comes around.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

It doesn't look a lot like the current tigrean, but I think that's a good thing. I have always disliked the huge ears, the three bulbous toes, the weird curly chest fur (looks like my papillon's does when she's been licking it), the floppy cartoony hair. Also dislike how its back end slopes upwards and how it's walking more like a dog than a cat. I think that Jill's skill at drawing big cats has improved so much since she did that tigrean, and I can tell that the old design doesn't inspire her anymore (when's the last time we saw a new tigrean color?). Yes, the new one is a tad stocky, and it looks older, somehow, than the current one, more like a real tiger than a housecat/tiger creature. I can still recognize it as a tigrean, though... it's got the original's (more catlike) pose, the revamp's markings, the eyeliner, the kind of smug expression. It makes me excited to see what Jill could do with new colors, and I have faith that she'd be super careful when revamping the current beloved colors (although I dislike the current common tigrean, I love and own the reborn, and I think the darkmatter is lovely, too).
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

I like both (though I ended up voting for the old), so I don't care which way this revamp goes personally. But I do have to agree with the majority here, it doesn't really look like a tigrean. I think of the tigrean as more like a cougar or leopard with tiger-like markings than an actual tiger (this is especially noticeable in the redraws), so I'm a little sad to see it go in this direction. And Subeta already has a bulky wildcat.

That being said, I'm so glad it has four toes. One of my greatest pet peeves (heh) are dogs/cats/etc. with three toes. I think there needs to be more "paw" to the feet so they don't just look like nubs attached to the ankles, but I'm glad there's four on each foot just the same.