Warador Revamp Poll

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Warador Revamp Poll

Post by Silverevilchao »

ImageImage

The Warador's in the works for a much-needed (since the original art is ancient) revamp.

I'd take the revamp as is, but I think there are some issues that should be worked out. The hat is just massively off (even if the ends were overstuffed, the ends on the sides should not be curving that way if it's plush) and I like its design more in the original (the original's hat design allowed for more potential animation and posing); something is off about the face that I can't put my finger on (the expression seems...bitter? The original doesn't seem so gloomy); and I wish that the new design had more of the color scheme of the original...too dark, IMO, I'd prefer more reds. I also feel that cape's collar is too close to the head proper (making it really hard to figure out if it's actually attached to the head or hat now or just drawn insanely close?) and I feel that there should be more space between them.

But there is a lot of it that works, too. I love the new details - the checkerboard texture on the cape, the skull at the throat, the great plushy lineart at the feet and hands (which instantly makes me prefer the redesign over the original), how the cape wraps around the shoulders, and the great shading.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: Warador Revamp Poll

Post by Seerow »

I'm glad you posted this topic Silverevilchao, I somehow missed the news post about this and the Chai!

I really like the new one. As you said the detailing on the hands and feet is great and I really enjoy the checkered cape. The colors don't bother me, but it is a pretty drastic shift from the original that fans won't be happy about most likely. I love the little neck ruffle and the addition of the skull, which I imagine could change based on the color of the pet. Also liking the improved face markings.

I do agree that the hat needs to be slimmed down, it's rather big at the moment and overpowering. I also don't like how the stripes are laid on top of the staff, it just looks uncomfortable to hold. Always looked tacky in the original and doesn't look any better here.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

This one bothered me. Yes, the current art is ridiculously ancient and it needs a revamp, but... well, basically I loved the revamped Warador plushies.

Seriously, those guys are ADORABLE. Their art's up-to-date and they're cute and if they were pet-sized I'd want one. And the proposed revamp isn't anywhere near as nice. It's a net improvement, sure, but... it could be so much better. And if this revamp goes through, a better one won't, and I'll be sad. So I'm going to complain about it loads even though it's not terrible.

Like Silverevilchao said, the hat doesn't work at all. It should stick closer to the shape of the original, 'nuff said. (I'm actually ambivalent about the skull move—trying to show it fully in its current position might be awkward. I can see why it was done, at least.) The collar of the cape should probably be larger and sit entirely behind the head, and the ruff is a little... froofy, especially combined with the skull throat clasp and in comparison to the original's tattered cape. Getting rid of the lighter trim would probably fix that, though, and if that kills too much detail, the staff could be shined up a little—right now it's thick and flat and looks like a chunk of plastic. That might have been the intention, I guess, but Seerow's right; it's tacky.

The proportions are off, and honestly I think that's what bothers me about it the most: the torso is distinctly larger than in the original, and the head, feet, and especially hands all slightly smaller. Proportionally larger extremities resemble baby mammals. That was good! The juxtaposition of the original's creepy sidelong glare (and malevolent joker motif) and undersized, gawky body is really what made it for me; the revamp seems bigger and a tad pot-bellied and not half as creepy-cute. (Its face doesn't help that either; its eyes are much more narrowed, making them smaller—again, less cute—and the much sharper curves of its nose and mouth, along with the narrowed cheeks, give it a petulant, pouty expression—less creepy. Also, the bloodshot sclera and freaky eye-ring are missing. Where are they. Bring them back. They were weird, it was cool.)

That said, the checkerboard pattern on the cape is a great, subtle touch (I didn't notice it at first!) and the shading is excellent, especially in the greys of the hat and feet. The art itself is quite good; give this one solid revision—heck, just fix the hat—and I might really like it.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

I remember making those plushie revamps. :D

I'm a bit mixed on this update. The art is better, but the warador seems to have changed personality somewhat - it's more..subdued? Maybe a little snooty? I miss the bigger eyes of the original and it felt like it had more attitude. Not quite sure what's going on with the hat either - I'm guessing they're trying to imply a dent in the top tail but it looks more like it was sewn together with a corner. No shine on the shiny orb anymore? I like the new cape a lot, though!
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Dallas is a brand-new staff artist - this is her first pet! - so I think she's just getting the hang of things! She's already taking critique into stride and just being generally awesome about the revamp process in general. I think for her very first pet, she's doing fantastically so far!
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I like everything but the hat. too much hat vs not enough Warador. That and the colours are bit dulled. Which is okayish, since the original was too bright (in my humble opinion) but it might be too far from the first one.
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

It's not terrible, but needs work. The collar is too ruffly. The hat is so overwhelming, imo. Also (as someone on the news comments pointed out), if they changed the hat to 3 sections and changed the skull placement, then wouldn't they then have to revamp all the redraws?
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Silverevilchao

Post by Silverevilchao »

lavender wrote:It's not terrible, but needs work. The collar is too ruffly. The hat is so overwhelming, imo. Also (as someone on the news comments pointed out), if they changed the hat to 3 sections and changed the skull placement, then wouldn't they then have to revamp all the redraws?
Well, the redraws are already going to have to be revamped on the basis of either being too old or really being outside of the current style of the site (I've always thought the redrawn Waradors looked...odd compared to other pets), soooo
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

Really? Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think all these are in no need of an update?
ImageImage
ImageImage
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Silverevilchao

Post by Silverevilchao »

lavender wrote:Really? Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think all these are in no need of an update?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Yeah, the shading is weird and something about the entirety of the anatomy (the proportions, specifically) didn't even really seem to match the original pet that much (which is probably why BloodRed has been completely untouched). I'd kill for some seriously good Warador revamps...
RNA
Human Avatar: 261756

Post by RNA »

I really hope the Glade doesn't need to be revamped :(
It's my favorite Glade pet on the site.

Pretty much everything that's been said before.
ImageImage
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

ImageImageImage
Original - Poll - New

I think overall the revamp turned out fairly good. I like the new plushie texture on the hat and that staff looks less ridiculous now. I do not like the puzzled expression on his face. I think they were maybe trying to go for grumpy but to me he just looks disgusted/puzzled by something he just saw and it looks strange.

New Chibi version which is cute. I think the pose is very fitting for the species, I can easily see the baby version being one of those bratty kids.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I'm pretty weirded out by the expression. He definitely smelled something unpleasant. But the rest looks better, and I don't own a warador, so... who cares what I think, heh.
Image Image
Silverevilchao

Post by Silverevilchao »

I thought the expression was him being upset because someone, I dunno, slapped him or something. He looks pouty like he's going to cry, IMO.

Nice to see the hat fixed, the scepter is shinier, and the little details I liked in the original version of the revamp were kept. Still don't like how much sheer grey there is compared to the original version, or the new shading (which I feel is a little much).

And don't forget the other redraws!

ImageImageImage

I'm reeeeaaaaally partial to the Darkmatter one. It's juggling the little darkmatters and stomping on another one!
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

Speaking as a long time Warador lover (yes, I know I'm in the minority) I am pleased with this revamp overall. Of my 3 waradors I will only need to change one of them to a different species now. The Chibi just simply does not fit with the personality of my pet anymore. The feedback given during the original poll was taken into account and the hat looks worlds better than the polled version (thank the gods!) and the attention to the little details like the staff toppers and the pattern on the cloak really brought this pet species up to par for the art on Subeta. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Angelic and am hoping they will do a Spectrum/Blacklight version soon as well.
The new look on the face does seem odd, but I can easily see it as "fussy face" which works just fine for my pet Captain Morgan and is livable for Midori Sour until I can see an updated Angelic version or Spectrum.
I'm pleasantly surprised that this revamp didn't just annihilate my love of the Warador. I was dreading having to change all 3 of them to something else and now...I don't feel the need to (except for Daegan...but I'm ok with changing him at this point since my son that the pet is named after is getting bigger and doesn't really fit the Chibi look anymore anyhow). They still look like mischievous living plushies that range from "Awwwww let me squish you" to "Please don't kill me in my sleep"...which is exactly how I always thought of them and I like that that "feel" has been maintained.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image