Possible Otter Revamp

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
FourEyes

Possible Otter Revamp

Post by FourEyes »

...Squee. I can't believe this. It's SO cute. And it fits Monty much more than a Demi. *votes for new* Anyone know who drew it?
...Oops. *searching for a smaller sig*
Rustyblu

Post by Rustyblu »

I'm voting for the old one. I don't think it will win though ;-;

I loved the old ones cute puzzled face ^_^
The new one has a shiny forehead which is really bugging me and its head overall is ... strange O_o

Also its left leg looks a bit out of place .. and its elbow is a bit to sharp..

I really like the dots though and the improvements on the hair bits sticking out BUT I wish it had the old otter's hair on its head.

EDIT: The name of this thread should be Ontra Revamp tekehe
Sushi

Post by Sushi »

I think I'm voting for the old one as well. Not that I don't think the new art is infinitely better, but there are so many wrong things about this update.
It has a huge shiny forehead; the arms and legs look way too awkward (otter biceps? no wrists?); the pet is too big so it looks as if it is crammed inside that little box; and...that chest hair makes it look like it has boobs. O_o Meh.
I do love its cute little nose and whiskers -- I don't think this is bad art, it just seems a bit too rushed.
Last edited by Sushi on 09 Jul 2007 04:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

ERGH. Oh no.

ImageImage

I don't like this at all. The old one looked more furry, and had those big melt-your-heart eyes. It also looked like it was begging for a treat - aww! The new one's tail is too small, and near the tip it's too thin. The tail is also flat-looking - the old one had more shading on it! The spots on it make it look diseased. It looks like there's a spotlight shining on its head. And the very male eyebrows and crotch fluff are awful. I miss the bottom of its foot being visible too. :x

Why couldn't the new Otter look more like the Galactic one? That seems to be the trend in revamping, anyway. The Galactic's eyes are better shaped, and it looks nicely furry.
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

i voted the old one, its expression is priceless, and the new one just doesn't look as cute as the old one, the art is undoubtedly better on the new one, but there's just something sweet about the old one which the new one is lacking, however i agree that the Galactic Otter is adorable ^^ and it the revamp was like that I'd vote it
Anubimon

Post by Anubimon »

I like the new one a lot better, but the fur tufts on the chest just make me think of boobs. It'd be nice if they changed that.
I like the new name, too. It's nice that they're changing it from just Otter.
The balls of evil are never safe from the steel-toed boot of JUSTICE!!!
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I ... want to like the new one, as the art is obviously better, but there are SO many problems with it. I'm voting for the old, but will go leave a nice note saying what I think would make it look better. Hm.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Ew, I really don't like it. Something about the face looks a bit saggy, maybe the fact that its nose sticks out more than before. I think the new one looks much bigger in comparison, like it's longer and it doesn't look cute. As much as I hate the old one, I don't like this either.

That said, I think the gold highlights on the Galactic Otter are much less orange now, or is that me? I really like it now. I like te pose on the Galactic one and I was hoping the revamp would be posed in a similar way.
Farseek

Post by Farseek »

I voted for the old one as well though of course the new one is winning the poll at the moment. I think this old one has a much cuter expression plus I like it's proportions better. Everything on the new one is longer. I like the more compact old version.
Not all who wander are lost.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

It's... alright... though I agree it'd be better if it had the same "huh?" look and was holding its paws near its chin like the old one. Art's good, though - I like how the newer one has more of a snout, and those spot patterns all over it.
Crystal Firefly

Post by Crystal Firefly »

I love the new one but when you position it next to the old one you can really see where it goes wrong. It now seems to have lost part of the cuteness the old one had. The old Otter looks far more comfortable in that position than the new one. I love the new ones expression though.
tallan

Post by tallan »

I don't like it. :( Since I hardly know enough about anatomy to know what works or not, that's not what troubles me. I'm more concerned with, and sad about, the fact that once again a revamp has managed to age a pet. The old Otter looks like a child, while the new one gives off a decidedly more adult feel. I don't see why it has to be that way. :/ It probably partly has to do with the old version being chubbier, and, well.. I liked it that way.
Not being a former, current or future Otter/Ontra owner, it doesn't affect me personally, but it's still sad.
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

What I wrote in the 'New Otter/Ontra?" thread in the Main forum...

I voted for the old... the new revamp just does not have the same personality of the old otter.

Not only that, but there are a lot of issues anatomically with the new art. The head is far too big and the shading makes it look like it's balding, the pose is very stiff and cramped, the tail is too small where it connects to the fin, the arms look bulky and very awkward and the tufts of hair on it's chest make it look like it has breasts.

Why couldn't the old version just be touched up a little bit (ie: not so thick lineart and maybe the little added muzzle?). It would be perfect that way, instead of doing a complete overhaul when it's unnecessary.
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

I voted for the new one, but under the condition that it was tweaked a bunch. The tail, the legs, spots, fur, etc. I think it would've been better if the it were in the galactic's position and the galactic were in this new one's postion. Eh.

But what I really hate is the new name. "Kanis" never really sat well with me, and "Ontra" is just the same. In my head, it's never going to stick. :| Can't really do anything about it, though, I guess. x:
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

Sigh...I voted for the old version as well. I feel the new version just looks cramped up in a tight spot. It looks hideously uncomfortable and I really don't like the fur tufts that look like boobs. I agree that the head is too shiny as well. I liked the sweet almost imploring look on the old versions face. The new version most seriously lost a lot of the feel of the pet. Unfortunately, the new version is winning and I don't see the tide swinging back the other way any time soon. The galactic is very pretty though.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image