Possible Malticorn Revamp

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Possible Malticorn Revamp

Post by thelonetiel »

Vote in the Poll

Image Image

New / Old

I don't think I like it. I want it to be looking up, not at the user. And I like the simplicity of the old. The anatomy seems a little stiff and dog like, someone in comments pointed out that the old Malitcorn's hind legs were more diagonal to the body and I agree, this is awfully straight.

Not bad though. Just lost character with the eye shift.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

The first thing I thought of when I saw this is, "The lineart is way too thin."

Now, I know it's a shit ton thinner than the old lineart - most things are- but I think the lineart is way, way too thin, which seems to be a new trend on Subeta. It's not one I like.

The other thing that bothers me, other than the mouth (... I'm assuming Exhibbited did this, as the muzzle resembles most of her recent Darkonite muzzles, which I can't stand), is the feet. I know they're hooves, but the front legs in particular make the poor thing look like it's standing on broken ankles. Ouch.

The art is obviously improved, but I don't really like what it's done for an otherwise mediocre pet. I get the feeling I'll be in the major minority in this one.
Chandi

Post by Chandi »

I don't know if I'm just too used to the old one, or something, but this just is not doing it for me. The face and neck fluff of the new one aren't as broad, especially the muzzle. The ears don't fluff out as much. It looks like it either molted or lost weight.

Slate this as the... fifth?... revamp on the shelf right now? (Feli, Mallarchy, Velosotor, Ghostly... am I missing any?)
checkers

Post by checkers »

Well, I've been waiting on a Malticorn revamp for some time now, and well, it couldn't have come at a better time ^^

Ok, I like it, it looks just like the old one, but with better lineart, clearer detail and more fury shading/outlines.

Only fault is the face, the Mouth's smile just looks goofy to me and the eyes are a little too big, but the other ones are the same just more hidden by hair.
I don't mind it too much really. ^^ I voted for the new one. I think that the Horn could be a little longer though, this one looks quite small and bent, but with the Headsize it looks Ok I suppose, but still the bent distracts me xD

I really hope that the Reborn and Graveyard turn out good, because I'm wanting to get a pair. *likes the fact the graveyard isn't brains oozing and dead, just wicked grin* If they just relined and shaded most of them I'd be happy.
Does anyone know who drew this? xD

Edit: Ooh, I'm shocked they used Blue to shade white, as we were told that wasn't allowed ^^ I like the icy feel to them more now!

Edit again: Woah, I never realised the Malticorn was smiling on the old art, D: I liked the netural face of them, but it's one of them mouths that are semi-joint.
(Joint Line)

Anywho, overall I really like it ^^ and I can see Vinca as a Reborn/Graveyard one one day, if the revamps are good.
Last edited by checkers on 11 Sep 2007 04:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I honestly like thin lineart more than heavier lineart.

I think the mouth should be neutral, though, not happy-happy-yo smile.

Otherwise, I'd like it. I rated nearly every Malticorn as a 1.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

As an owner of a Malticorn..I..really don't like it.

Maybe if the eyes were set like the old one, yea, sure, the art is nicer, but..:\ its not Malticorn-ish anymore
Image Image
ImageImage
Kari

Post by Kari »

It does look way better than the old version (which I can barely stand to look at)

I don't like the black curl/fur line in the ruff, it stands out too much. The hooves seem a bit too open in that little...open section, and they look tiny compared to the leg.
derp
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Well, I didn't like Malticorns before, I don't like them now. But the art is clearly much improved. I don't care for the huge eyes and goofy grin, but I suspect that's part and parcel of not liking Malticorns.

My big complaint is the hooves. No matter how you slice it -- cloven hooves just don't look like that.
FourEyes

Post by FourEyes »

Those eyes are really disturbing me quite a bit, and I'm not voting until I find out why.
...Oops. *searching for a smaller sig*
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

The lines are not as bad as, let's say her Glacier Darkonite. They're really okay.

It's closer to Rah's Glacier Kanis in width than to her recent pets. She's working on that, it seems.

I know Jessi likes bigger lines, but these aren't as bad as some of the recent pets out.

(No hitting me, Jessi!)
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

Iggy wrote: I know Jessi likes bigger lines, but these aren't as bad as some of the recent pets out.

(No hitting me, Jessi!)
I don't like bigger lines. I like NORMAL lines. The old malticorn was way too thick; the new one is way too thin. Even if you compare it to most other pets that have been revamped, these are on the thin side. No, not as thin as the glacier darkonite and mortiking, but still thin. It makes the entire pet look weird, IMHO.

I don't want huge ass thick lines on everything, but normal would be nice.
Rah

Post by Rah »

Just so you know, it's a requirement on the most part for us to draw our pets looking AT the user. Some redraw pets slip though this if a valid argument can be made on our part with its pose - but the commonly posed ones generally have to be looking at us :) (Just to clarify the eye change)

Personally, this is my favourite line art for pets. I think the glacier Darko was maybe a little too thin, but this one is perfect as far as lineart goes in my eyes :)

About the shading white with blue - that's for clothing only (and spectrum pets) We can't shade white clothing with blue generally, so the white matches other white things :p
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

I just think thin lines like this make the pets look like they're going to break. The Glacier Mortiking is so thin that parts of it fade away into the white background. Not to mention that now there is a huge inconsistancy between what has always been 'normal' thickness on Subeta and what seems to be the new trend of paper-thin.

It doesn't help that the Malticorn (and glacier pets) have a large amount of white on them, which makes the lines look more transparent. I think white pets need a slightly thicker line just to make them more visible. But that's just me, I suppose.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

The pose is boring--the original had a touch of a puppy-pounce pose, like it was ready to leap and frolic; now it's just standing, and it's very blah. Even apart from comparing it to the original (which is not very good art), it's such a boring, plain pose. It almost looks like a basic anatomical study, one of those things artists practice. Not official pet art.

But, more than that, whoever drew it needs to <i>actually look at pictures of cloven hooves.</i> Those feet look ridiculous.
Image Image
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

Looking at it more, the front legs are totally off too. The Malticorn is built like a ladder (you know, triangular folding kind), not a table; the legs should all be at an angle from the body. Does anyone know of a real life animal that has this trait or is it purely fictional anatomy?

And Checkers, this revamp makes no significant changes to the pet, so a revamp of reborn is highly unlikely. Redraws are only redone if there are tweaks to the pet design (like the Chai eye markings) or the art is very out dated. Graveyard might be, because the art is outdated, but it probably won't be high on the to-do list either.

You did remind me to examine the Malticorn redraws though.
Image Image

Reborn still has all the features of the Malticorn, including slopey-legs and has dazzling art. Graveyard has the triangle structure too, and looks more like it was done by the original artist, it is definitely a species trait.

Of course, if the lack of slopey-legs does count as a design change and the reborn Malticorn is changed... Well, that'd be idiotic. It is one of the nicest pets on the site, in art terms and I was quite pleased to have one for a while and have considered getting another. Graveyard would be less of a loss, as long as they kept it in theme and didn't make it more of a zombie, the design is quite unique as is.

Rah, thanks for the information about the eye change. A bit of a shame, but nothing that the artist can help.