Forum upgrade and possible glitches

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Forum upgrade and possible glitches

Post by Jazzy »

I've upgraded the forum to phpbb 3.0.6 today. It's a fairly big upgrade, and my FTP client has not been playing nicely (now there's an understatement; there were 250 files missing from the original upload), so there may well be glitches in it. Right now, I'm not going to play with forum settings because the backend's running too slowly, but later on I'll give you guys a list of new features in the upgrade which affect you.

Posting new topics, replying to topics, and sending and receiving PMs have been tested and are currently all fine. If there are any glitches, please post them here.

The Quick Reply box is now handled by the default installation and so looks different to how it used to; the most significant difference is that it's no longer opened by default. Do people want it open, or prefer it closed? Clicking the "Quick Reply" button will open up a box, on the same page, which acts as the old one did.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Re: Forum upgrade and possible glitches

Post by Joey »

I'm so used to having it open by default, but honestly, I'm ok with just having to click one more button. Like doing it for this post was fine.

As for glitches... um... see my post in the Raindance :D It occurs to me now that the upgrade might have caused it.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I was so confused before I read this thread. I went to go post and couldn't find the box to type in and thought I'd been logged out or something. It's just been default for so long I didn't even register the button to open it.

So yeah, I'd much prefer it to be open by default if that's possible!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I vote open by default since that's how I usually reply.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

One probably minor issue with the quick reply function is that it's the last element of the page to load. Although, if the page gets stuck loading something from a bad site, that could be bad, I suppose. But I went to post on the Subeta HA thread, and paged down, and went "buh, where is the button!" and while I was scratching my head, it finally (finally! after, like, two seconds! haha) appeared.

I usually use the quick reply, too. I don't mind pressing a button, though. As long as the button is there! ;D

Also, the signature position keeps creeping me out. It's different, yeah? I'm not crazy? I hope I'm not crazy. Things confuse me, though!

p.s.--just in case it seems like I'm complaining, I'm not! I like how it seems to have fixed that weird formatting thing we'd get when someone edited their post.
Image Image
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

The signature display is different, but I'm slightly ashamed to admit I don't remember how exactly it used to look, so I can't change it back. Does anyone else know?

I'm going to fiddle with Quick Reply to try and sort its display out tomorrow.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I think it was just under the text/post part, not the whole post + avatar section.

This topic won't mark as read! I keep reading it! Heh.
Image Image
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I think signatures weren't separated by a horizontal rule before? So that on short posts, they might be next to the bottom of the box with the av and other information about the poster, instead of being forced to be below it. They seem to take up more space now,, anyway.

I think I would prefer an already open Quick Reply, too.
Neopets wishlists: here
EofS

Post by EofS »

I'm also in favour of an already open quick reply. And agreed with the others on sigs being only underneath the post part, not the sidebar. The forum feels very wide now, and I'm not sure if it's just that or not.

Not exactly related to the upgrade I guess, but this seems as good a place as any to put it (and I've logged off M$N so can't bug you there) - forum times are still in DST? I actually noticed this a few days ago, but don't remember it before then.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

You set your own forum time - the forum's default is correct, but individual users define their own in the User Control Panel.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I like not having the quick reply box open. I often find myself typing into it and then having to copy and paste my text over so I can have access to BB code and stuff.

And now I just noticed there's a button to click for the full version. That's better, but I think I'll still forget about it.
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

I vote for default-open quick reply (and must, somewhat shamefully, admit that it is rather distracting to me that it is no longer centered). Residual open tab sez sigs were indeed under post and not post+sidebar.
EofS

Post by EofS »

Jazzy wrote:You set your own forum time - the forum's default is correct, but individual users define their own in the User Control Panel.
Huh, so it is. I'm surprised to find that I bothered to put the forum into DST in the first place.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Yeah, I'm slightly surprised that there's never been an option to just inherit the forum's time.

Progress so far:
- signatures are back under posts; let me know if the top margin is correct or they should be moved down or up
- quick reply is permanently open, having lost a lot of extraneous javascript junk. Clicking "full editor" still takes your current text into the proper editor.
- avatar boxes have been edited slightly but not significantly.

More to come, but for now I'm going to bed :)
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

As I recall, the signatures had about a 1em top margin. Thanks for taking the time to get everything into place! :D

(Edit: By the way, there seems to be a glitch - posts appear to be being entered without a default subject, which makes them display as just a blank line in the 'last post' front page link.)