Forum upgrade and possible glitches

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post subjects disappearing?

Post by Jessi »

I'm assuming the board was recently updated, because I've noticed a few changes - but this seems to be some kind of glitch XD Subject names are disappearing when you look at the forums. I took a screen shot since it can explain better than I can!
Spoiler: open/close
I assume it's not just me, though I'll double check with Lindsey when she gets up just to be sure.

I guess it's some sort of bug with the new update? I just thought I'd make a note of it here!
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Heh, it's not just you at all. I did a head tilt when I got up today. We got a little HA icon! Cool.

Okaaay. Apparently it has to do with reponses because when I responded to this your topic header disappeared. My bad :D
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Re: Forum upgrade and possible glitches

Post by Jazzy »

Fixed. Guys, please keep glitch reports to this thread, because it makes it a lot easier for me to keep up with.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Something weird is happening to the details under people's avatars at the left of posts. Underneath "gender", there's a string of text saying, as far as I can make out, "Private messagewebsiteMSNM/WLM" with some images stuck behind it.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Faun

Post by Faun »

erm don't know if its just me but the blue boxy thing at the top of the page is really big. could be just me though.
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

RD, that should be fixed (you posted while I was changing the way they display for consistency).

fluffy-emo-wolf, could you post a screenshot, please?
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Also all the people who have pm website and msn symbols under their avatar have really tiny fonts and all the people who have no symbols have a normal font.

screenshot: http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l409 ... /forum.jpg
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

I'm not getting the glitch Marah is (Mac OSX - Safari/Firefox, for the record). I'm assuming you know about the various transitory display errors with the icons (and the php parse error that broke things for about ten seconds). In addition, though, the little alerts (Subeta up/down, Turmaculus, etc) are displaying on the right side of the blue bar instead of the left, which doesn't really make much sense (and may account for the bar looking bigger than usual?), and full Subeta HAs no longer show up on profiles.

Edit: Also, the YIM icon displays as a broken image, and the icon bar appears to wrap at about half the width of the sidebar instead of filling it (screenshot).

Edit edit: I still don't see the small text glitch, but I was seeing the black box ZomgethMew has earlier. As for the posts spilling out of the container and filling the width of the screen, I used to get that error before the upgrade - sometimes when my connection was poor the container would get partway down the page and then quit trying. It was kind of erratic.
Last edited by Foghawk on 06 Dec 2009 01:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

ROFL oh geez, Jazzy, I'm just posting to say I'm sorry I'm blind and didn't see this topic when I posted my topic this morning xD
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Oh geez.. a whole mess of glitches o_O;.
I'm getting the small text glitch too, though it's with /all/ posts now. Also, where the HA/PM/Website buttons are, there's a black box behind it.. I'll post a screenie, if you need one.

I'm also getting the huge blue box thing, and I don't know if this is a glitch, but the posts surround the whole page now, like in the screenie Marah posted.. I hope that made sense x_x.
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

You're going to have to help me out here - I can't replicate errors easily. I'm in OS X and testing in Firefox, Opera and Safari (for obvious reasons, I can't install Chrome or IE). If I'm letting something through for display, it's because it's displaying correctly here, and all the pages validate so it's not a coding error, it has to be down to a difference in how browsers render things and what happens when buttons are hidden from ordinary users (which again, I can't test, because everything is always displayed for admins). Give me screenshots and tell me what OS and browser you're using, please. If you don't post a screenshot, I can't help you.

Are the icons displaying correctly now, and have the php errors gone? Right now, I'm not editing viewtopic, so if anything is behaving strangely there, that isn't because I'm fiddling with it.

I put the Turmaculus/Snowager/Subeta thing on the right on purpose, though I know it's a change - once you get used to it, it makes some sense for it to be there (more visible, and two lines of text on the left and right rather than three and one). This is how it's supposed to look:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/ ... topbar.png
If it doesn't look like that, again, screenshots, browser version, please.

The Subeta HAs missing on profiles is a mistake with a fairly straightforward origin - the edits were overwritten accidentally in the upgrade. I'll go and fix that.

Try refreshing the page, people seeing black boxes: that shouldn't have been the case for the last hour or two. It was a temporary placeholder, and there isn't any black background in the css anymore. Your screenshots look like my windows did three hours ago, rather than how it's currently set up.

edit: having loaded up Windows and tried IE, I've fixed the small font problem in the version of IE I've got installed (IE8 in XP). I do not have a clue why there was a problem, because all it had originally was:

Code: Select all

<div style="float:right"><dd><div class="iconwrap">
and it appears fixed if I have the following instead:

Code: Select all

<dd><div class="iconwrap" style="float:right">
Perhaps IE is more strict about not having <div><dd><div>.

I have also made changes to the coding of the bar at the top with the search, Turmy, etc, in order to make IE8 display it correctly (in this case, it wanted <br clear="all"> to be written expressly between the rows in the box, rather than doing it automatically). As before, it should still look like the screenshot I posted, so if it doesn't, screenshot it and let me know your OS and browser version.

The YIM icon is fixed - stupid mistake, I'd referred to it as icon_yim_off/on, when it was saved as icon_yahoo_off/on. The uneven wrapping is also gone - it was a temporary measure while I recoded the icons so that they would wrap themselves automatically (the original way of displaying icons didn't wrap at all correctly, so it was a check to say "if the person has 3 icons of this type, force a linebreak here". Now it can auto-wrap, it's not necessary).

Profiles are fixed and have HAs back.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Everything looks fine for me now, I use internet explorer, no idea what version, sorry.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

You can check browser versions by clicking "Help" and selecting "About *browser name*" - IE, Firefox, and i think most of the rest have it there. :)

I use Windows 7, FF 3.5.5, and everything seems to be looking good here, bravo Jazzy! The only problem i had earlier was the mysterious disappearing topic names.

I'll edit this in a moment after i run through my other browsers with it to see if i notice anything odd.

OK, edit:

IE 8.0.76(blahblah): HA icon shows up but does NOT display the avatar, neither by mouseover nor clicking. All it shows is the "ha" alt text (it's mocking me!).
Spoiler: open/close
For further things, i think i'd have to actually log into each one, but so far all i can see is you have to log on to see AIM and MSN icons.
Last edited by Fjorab_Teke on 06 Dec 2009 04:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

Icons are fine now, I haven't seen any more PHP errors, and HAs are working perfectly.
dandelions wrote:I put the Turmaculus/Snowager/Subeta thing on the right on purpose, though I know it's a change - once you get used to it, it makes some sense for it to be there (more visible, and two lines of text on the left and right rather than three and one).
That makes sense, then. I assumed it was a glitch, as I have an extremely wide screen, wide enough to display navigation, ucp, and logout etc. on one line; it didn't make sense to me that content things were suddenly being displayed next to forum things instead of other content things. Unfortunately...
dandelions wrote:I have also made changes to the coding of the bar at the top with the search, Turmy, etc, in order to make IE8 display it correctly (in this case, it wanted <br clear="all"> to be written expressly between the rows in the box, rather than doing it automatically). As before, it should still look like the screenshot I posted, so if it doesn't, screenshot it and let me know your OS and browser version.
...this does put a break between navigation and ucp, and gives the blue box a rather nasty block of empty space. As it's just a browser problem, perhaps an <!--[if IE]>...?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Is the Turmy alert/Subeta status supposed to be on the right side right now? Huh! It's on the left for me. Windows 7, Chrome 3.0.
Image Image