Would anyone else like RSS, or is it just me?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Madge

Would anyone else like RSS, or is it just me?

Post by Madge »

Okay, first of all - I don't want to be demanding changes to the forum because I know Jazzy, Ty, and anyone else who is capable of doing this forum changing stuff doesn't have infinite time, least of all to spend hours of time doing things just for *my* convenience.

However, I would absolutely love it if there was some sort of rss feed that just spat out the new topics when they're posted. It would only be a convenience of course.

I'm talking about something like this feed:
https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/feed.php?mode=topics

The forum that uses this is based in phpBB, but I'm not sure if it's a mod that gives it the rss or some other technical reason.

In any event, I did a brief google and found this:
http://kb.siteground.com/article/How_to ... phpBB.html
It's info about a mod for phpBB2 and phpBB3 for RSS. I'm not sure if it's actually helpful.

My main point in posting this is two-fold, though:

1) Do other people want this? If only one or two of us want this it's hardly worth doing.
2) Is it going to be spectacularly simple to implement to the point of Jazzy sending me a message in 10 minutes saying "THE FEEDS WORK NOW SO STOP RAMBLING IN YOUR POST", or will implementing it require weeks and weeks of hard labor that involve going on a quest to the server room in Uzbekistan that holds the 1s and 0s that make up this forum and REVERSING THE POLARITY and we MAY NOT SURVIVE?????????????????
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Re: Would anyone else like RSS, or is it just me?

Post by Jazzy »

Good news! This is a default phpBB feature and I can enable it.

Bad news! You've caught me at a time when I'm two days from my dissertation presentation, a week from hand-in, and ten days from my first deadline for my project I'll be doing next year. And there are a lot of settings for feeds, which is why they are currently turned off.

So! If you want feeds, go to this page: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2029415
and tell me what to make each setting. I'll put that live and will tweak it once or twice if things aren't as expected, but I don't have time to play with it myself. Sounds fair enough? :)
Madge

Post by Madge »

Jazzy, I can tell you that I am pleased that we will not need to go on a quest to Uzbekistan. In 12 hours or so when I get some free time I'll go on a QUEST to that page. Thankyou for your consideration for LITTLE OLD ME :D
Madge

Post by Madge »

I'm going to double post so I can raise my post count and BECOME THE MOST SPECTACULARLY HIGH POST COUNTED PERSON ON THE FORUM.

That forum post about options is a little hard for me to decipher because of my obvious lack of experience in knowing all that much about forums, so I hope this is good:

Enable feeds = YES
Item statistics = YES
Allow HTTP Authentication = NO, because it's not really necessary, unless we have fora other than "Adoptions" and "moderator rain dance" that are visible only to non-guests.

I don't personally want "post based feeds" so no need to enable any of that.

Topic-based feed settings
Number of items = (use default 15).

Enable new topics feed = YES

Enable active topics feed = NO

News feed = NO

Other feeds and settings:
Enable forums feed = NO

Exclude these forums = NONE
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Okay, here goes:
feed.php?mode=topics (topics)
feed.php (all new posts, can't turn this off)
Those what you're after? :)
Madge

Post by Madge »

OH MY GOODNESS JAZZY YOU ARE THE QUEEN OF ATTENDING TO MY WHIMS!!!!!

A+++ WOULD BEG SERVICES FROM AGAIN

Yes it seems to be absolutely perfect! Now I will NEVER miss a new topic! Thanks to the wonders of RSS, I now know there's a maracrite and glowing shoyru! FANCY THAT!
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

All hail Jazzy! And some on the side for Madge, too, for thinking of it. We are lucky to live in the future! With computers! And feeds! And robots!
Image Image