Site Revamp

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Site Revamp

Post by Jazzy »

Neocolours will be twenty years old later this year, and it felt to me like it was long overdue for a bit of a revamp!

Main features:
- Much better use of the big versions of images that now exist for pets, which are particularly useful on higher DPI monitors as they are coincidentally sharper than the version used on userlookups
- Compatibility with mobile phones (if things break on your specific phone, please let me know)
- Updates to pages like the paintbrush page, revamps page, and staff page to ensure they are all up to date and complete
- Additions to the unusual pet page and use of the new, higher res images where possible
- Addition of the vandagyre to the pet heights page
- Updates to the Subeta pages so they are working and not marked as "down for maintenance" - but note that the actual pet listings have not been updated since 2017
- No real changes to the forum

Enjoy, and please let me know if you find any bugs or problems!
Madge

Re: Site Revamp

Post by Madge »

Man, thank you for keeping the site updated! Do many people use it, even? I kinda forgot that there's something other than a forum on here...

I don't know if it's my web browser or my thousand different firefox extensions (which inevitably break every site I visit), but the pet size page has the pets start looking weird from the Blumaroo and up:

Also, I checked the revamp page and I COMPLETELY FORGOT about Ye Olde Neopets Circle(tm) and now I'm wondering if I should get myself a Neopets Circle(tm) zoom background
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I think it must be one of your extensions, since the code on that particular page is really really basic - it looks like it's somehow identifying the pets?? Or maybe it's printing the alt text/name to the page?

I don't run any proper analytics due to laziness, but Search Console says we get approx 5k click-throughs from Google search a month, which doesn't count anyone who visits directly, clicks through from other sites, etc. It surprised me a bit when I saw that cos I wasn't honestly sure if Neopets still had 5k active players, and this was always a niche site even within Neopets...
Madge

Post by Madge »

Yeah, it's probably printing the alt text - but why not for all of them? If it was all of them I wouldn't have mentioned it because i'd have been like "ah yes, my extension having some fun again".
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

The site is looking really great!
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Thank you! Hopefully it looks alright on various monitor sizes - and phones, too.
riftclaw

Post by riftclaw »

I registered just to say that I love the new site, especially with the newer big images on display. I've been coming to neocolours to get pet color references since I was 11-12. Wonderful job on the revamp, thank you!
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Aww, thank you very much, it's really good to hear that!