Tie Site Preferences to Log-In?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
sterlinglyons

Tie Site Preferences to Log-In?

Post by sterlinglyons »

Is it possible to assign the site preferences for the species/colour section to the user log-in so that when we log into Neocolours all of our options are there? I realize that logging onto the forum is separate from the main Neocolours site, so perhaps we could create a log in for the main site as well, which would prevent us from redoing our options each time we clear the cookies or use a different computer... Just a thought.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

Theoretically, it's possible.

One of the main problems with this is that, looking at recent phpBB upgrades, it's pretty much the least stable part of the code. For security reasons, they often need to plug holes.

That means that I'm hesitant to copy any login code, and especially not modifying it (I don't like to touch the forum code anyway).

I could, however, look into possibly creating an additional database table where these things are stored, and retrieve data/set cookies when the cookies are loaded.

It's on the list. I'm already doing a lot of coding anyway, a bit more won't hurt.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Yeah, I plan to upgrade the forum to phpBB3 from 2.0.x once a) it's out of beta and b) certain mods are available, so the login code is liable to change drastically. Even if 3 is a way off (they can't say yet when it'll be out of beta; the current code is not suitable for live forums) I'll be upgrading version 2 in the meantime.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

I have just uploaded the code to implement this. Use the 'Save in database' checkbox to store your settings in such a way. Its priority is the lowest of all types - setting any type of cookie will override it.