New domain name?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.

What kind of URL do you want to see?

Something using the full word "neocolours"
52%
Something using "thenc" or a variant thereof
45%
Neither--explain below
2%

Total votes: 86

Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Joeno wrote:If the '2' is in the URL, it's going to be considered part of the name, whether we want it or not.
But if that's the case than that's true of any URL except "neocolours" which seems to be a problem for various reasons (unless one of the resellers will give it to us for a reasonable price, of course.) I don't want to be known as "The NC" either.
Neocolours 2 implies to me that we're going to copy - maybe imitate - the original. We'd no longer be the original Neocolours, we'd just try to
stay close to it. And I am hoping to achieve more.
Dunno. Toy Story 2, Shrek 2, and Spiderman 2 were all better than the originals. It can be done. :-)
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

The problem is that we can't really get a completely accurate domain name, because of the limitations.

Another suggestion: How about, rather than having the very short 'nc' abbreviation in the URL, we get some other semi-abbreviation. Some suggestions that are available at the moment:

* neocolour .net .org .co.uk - this actually doesn't look that bad. We lose the plural, but other than that it's still recognisable.
* neoclr.com .net .co.uk
* neocol.net .org .co.uk
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

What about... neocoloursv2 - implying it's an upgrade? ;) Not really, I don't like that. But it's one way to think about it.
Mesmirez

Post by Mesmirez »

I vote neocolours-v2.co.uk. Because co.uk always sticks to "neocolours" for me and I like oogabooga's suggestion. :D

NEOCOLOURS II: SON OF NEOCOLOURS!!!
Thanks TheLoneTiel for the siggy^^

Sub | Neo | DA
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

I like neocolour.net, personally.. The s is missing, but it retains the main things people want..
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

I'm down with neocolour. It doesn't have a the in it so it looks great to me.
jeti

Post by jeti »

Joeno wrote:
Madge wrote: neocolours.biz (no-one suggested it but it's there so I decided to add it, go me)
The spam issue on the .biz top-level domain is much worse than on .info. I have never seen .biz used outside spam.
Really?

janime.info used to be janime.biz, and it was (and still is) one of my favourite websites EVAR.

I really don't think the average person knows about the spamtastic connotations, or even really cares. I mean, is there any way we could just have notifitations NOT sent from the .info/.biz or whatever? Because I personally think neocolours.info would be nice and fitting, and if email is the only problem, well, that's not really as much of a problem as the amount of money we might have to fork over for a "nicer" top-level domain.

That being said, if we can get the resellers to back down, .com, .net, and .org are all very nice, although I think I like .com and .net better than .org, and .net the most, aesthetically speaking.

... My god, this is the reason the kids used to tell me I talked like a 30-year old, back in freshman year. >_> Stupid moderately over-intelligent writing style.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

About the spam issue - it's not as much about normal people recognising it as such, but a lot of (popular) anti-spam software almost automatically triggering on it - or at least ranking it higher. The 'you never see it again' filtering is done automatically, not manually.

The switch to a different domain is almost absolute - if you want messages send out that do not use that domain name, the entire forum/other facilities will need to use that base URL. Although there's a lot of technobabble that could change this, in practice the links in emails you send out are the same as the ones used when visiting.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Wingsrising wrote:
Joeno wrote:If the '2' is in the URL, it's going to be considered part of the name, whether we want it or not.
But if that's the case than that's true of any URL except "neocolours" which seems to be a problem for various reasons (unless one of the resellers will give it to us for a reasonable price, of course.)
Again my question, which almost NO ONE is responding to -- if I can get us http://neocolours.com/ would that be fine with the collective that is us?

Can we stop with the fighting over alternatives for a moment and answer the question? If I can get it -- do we want it?

*shoots cannon so people will see this and respond*
Last edited by Kamil on 17 Feb 2006 03:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Settingshadow

Post by Settingshadow »

Kamil, yes, yes I would like that very much :)

Oh, and I know you're in a lot of fandoms, so it's quite understandable, but canon is what a lot of fanfic writers have trouble abiding by; cannon is what you shoot.
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

I, too, would like it if we can get it. I also don't mind neocolour if we can't get that - it looks a little naked, but nothing as bad as neocolours2 or neo-colours. *shudders at the thought of either*
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Settingshadow wrote:Kamil, yes, yes I would like that very much :)

Oh, and I know you're in a lot of fandoms, so it's quite understandable, but canon is what a lot of fanfic writers have trouble abiding by; cannon is what you shoot.
LOL! I can't remember the last time I've talked about (or shot) a cannon, but I discuss canon on a regular basis -- and obviously, it shows. *fixes*

Thanks!
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
jeti

Post by jeti »

Kamil wrote:Again my question, which almost NO ONE is responding to -- if I can get us http://neocolours.com/ would that be fine with the collective that is us?
jeti wrote:That being said, if we can get the resellers to back down, .com, .net, and .org are all very nice, although I think I like .com and .net better than .org, and .net the most, aesthetically speaking.
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

I like thenc.org, because really, we are an organisation.

I really really dislike the idea of Necolours2 or any of those...it's just not it. I don't know what it is either.
Zap

Post by Zap »

If you can get one of the good domains from a reseller, go for it. Neocolours.net is my favorite, but I don't know if you could get that one for a reasonable price or not. :?