Games and Polls forum still needed?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.

What do you think we should do?

Keep The Forum
21%
Get Rid of It
55%
I don't care
24%

Total votes: 38

Illuen

Games and Polls forum still needed?

Post by Illuen »

Hey, just a small suggestion here. When the Forum Games and Polls was created, we had quite a lot of them clogging chitchat. (enough that people complained in multiple places, such as here)
Since the board was created, however, it pretty much died. The only posting that happens there with any regularity is the Voting and Sign Ups for Werewolf, which could always be placed somewhere else. It just seems to me that the board was made to alleviate an issue that is no longer here, and is kinda cluttery and useless now.

Thoughts/suggestions?
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

I agree.

Sign ups for Werewolf could always go in the Offsite Games section, even if they really arn't... offsite. xP

Since we're bringing up useless forums, Epilogue seems equally dead. Maybe it could be combined with the Art section? Just throwing it out there.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I wanted to mention Epilogue as well. But forgot if Werewolf was in Epilogue or somewhere else.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

Werewolf used to be in epilogue, but it got its own forum because it was taking over.

I think the only objection to getting rid of the games and polls forum is that then if somebody ever does want to post something that would belong there, they'd do it in chit-chat... but if it only happens once in a while, that wouldn't really be so annoying. So I guess I agree that we don't really need it.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

Well personally, I don't give a damn about Werewolf, but I do like the offsite games board and read through it quite a lot. Obviously I'm aware that you don't have to read anything you aren't interested in, but (and I fully admit this is just me being selfish) I really don't want to have to put energy into ignoring it. As it stands, all the Werewolf stuff lives happily on its own board and I usually forget it exists entirely... which is nice. Those who like it know where to find it, and those who don't aren't bothered with it at all. And they're running, what, monthly now? And still going strong? I realize a round of Werewolf usually only uses like, what, two? threads that you don't have to be in a special group to see... but that seems like enough to irritate me, heh.

I dunno. I guess I'm just... not seeing the point? Having one extra board doesn't seem like an overload of clutter to me. Like I said, most of the time I forget it exists. As long as it's being used, even if for nothing other than Werewolf signups, it's serving its purpose.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

Maybe we could combine the offsite games and the games/polls forums? I don't really visits those forums, but I thought I'd suggest something...
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I've never used the games and polls forums, so I don't really care. I do like the idea of moving epilogue to art as we've sorta fizzled out on using words. Maybe the move would encourage us to read and write more since the art forum is still fairly popular.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

I invariably browse using the "View posts since last visit" link, so I don't have much of an opinion on which forums should stay or go. The fact that I'd kind of forgotten we even have a Forum Games & Polls forum might say something, though.

It'd be nice if Epilogue was a bit busier, but it seems like even those of us who do write aren't eager to post any scribblings there.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

My first impulse is to say that it's not really hurting anything, and might serve a useful function if someone feels like playing a forum game, so why bother deleting it? However, since I also use the "View New Posts" function, I don't know, it might hurt things for other people.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Unsurprisingly, and as usual, I agree with Topher. =D

I like having the Werewolf stuff neatly contained somewhere that is away from the rest of the forum. Aside from my reading preferences it makes modding things easier, as the werewolf stuff doesn't need the usual sort of modding, so I can always leave it for last and make sure I've read the rest of the forum first.

And I really fail to see why it's causing so much angst that it needs to be removed - it's one extra forum and if we ever get really most sincerely bored again and the word games, or whatever, want to start up again, hey! board all ready and shiny for the purpose.

And in the meantime it makes signing up for werewolf easier and neater.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I think Epilogue should be combined with the Art forum... Creative writing is a form of writing, no? I could see the problem if we actually got a roleplay group going, but as of now, it seems to be pretty dead.

Although, some people post on the old threads there, since it is so slow more comments are given because of the time they stay on the front page.

I think it wouldn't hurt to put Games and Polls with Offsite Games for a combined Game Forum, but I don't care much. I simply miss the old original forum which had 5 or 6 boards and not much more.

Heck, while we're considering cleaning up, I wouldn't mind seeing Petpets merged with Aesthetics (for matching) and New Features (for... new features) but I can see how that would make it a little more difficult to moderate things like newbies with no posts wanting requests. Most of the Neopets forums are so slow these days they hardly seem worth it.

But, like others, I use New Posts Since Last Visit so it doesn't matter to me. Just a memory of the simple days of Neocolours.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

The old board wasn't entirely simpler - for example, we had Art - Requests as well, and Public Feedback, both of which I have no plans to resurrect.

From my point of view, there are few advantages to merging lots of forums, for the following reasons:
- I don't use the View New Posts button, so I prefer posts separated by subject.
- In many cases, with fewer forums people are less certain about where their posts go, and end up dumping things in Misc/Chit-chat indiscriminately.
- Having extra forums makes very little difference to loading times, bandwidth, and the size of the database.

I am willing to remove Games and Polls, but less keen to remove Epilogue. I would like to see more people using Epilogue for roleplaying again, since that was once its main purpose. My preference for Werewolf signups would also be Epilogue if Games and Polls is removed, because in some ways it's a roleplaying game.
anzuronamin

Post by anzuronamin »

Maybe I missed this, but why don't Werewolf Sign-Ups go into the Werewolf forum?

<strike>I go into games and polls every now and then, but usually 2 or so topics are all I see new posts on (Pokemon thread and Maplestory Mass thread come to mid). Combining to Chit-Chat doesn't seem like it would be too much trouble.</strike>
EDIT: Sorry, I mixed up two forums...please ignore this now... .__.''
Last edited by anzuronamin on 03 Sep 2007 01:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
EofS

Post by EofS »

anzuronamin wrote:Maybe I missed this, but why don't Werewolf Sign-Ups go into the Werewolf forum?
Because then it would be exceedingly hard for new players to join as they wouldn't know there's going to be a game, etc. We have had a LOT of new players over the last couple of games, I'm guessing with sign-ups hidden away we'd have had none of them, or just a couple.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Forum Games and Polls is <i>not</i> Offsite Games, which I currently have no plans to remove since it seems reasonably active, at least as much so as Art, for example.