Discussion regarding the announcement above

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

Count me in for a donation too. Having been a part of this community for four years now, I'm of course more than willing to help keep it going.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Count me in, fellas.
=)
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

If its not to much, I would love to help out too :) I'm on a tight budget thanks to college and al that, but I'll do what I can.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

As soon as Abbey blinkin' National recognise my card exists. ;)
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Heh, well, I think it's obvious from the number of people posting already, expressing a will to help, myself included, that we should easily meet the target. Will any extra money be used for next year's bill? I'd imagine so, I can't really think of many other things the money would be spent on, but I'm just curious.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

I wasn't planning on collecting extra money at this point - instead, I would ask people to donate less individually, because I wouldn't know what to do with the extra. I can't exactly use it myself, and hosting next year isn't guaranteed to be at the same price - it'll be dependent on the package price, exchange rates (we're going to be with an English company and paying in pounds sterling) and whether the database grows over the year.

(To explain the database thing a little more fully: right now, we are entitled to one database of up to 150mb for free with our hosting package. The database is used to store user information, posts, private messages, the forum structure, etc, and on a smaller scale, the ratings you've given pets, and the pets themselves. This forum currently uses 130mb, though the phpbb3 version of it only uses about 105mb, so it's conceivable that we will eventually have to upgrade so we can use more than 150mb. The alternative, if we get closer to the limit, is to do things like prune topics more often.)

And thanks, guys :) It means a lot to me that you're willing to help out.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

even though i mostly lurk, ill still chip in a bit.. I've been using the site for so many bloody years in its various forms, seems only fair ;)

How are you doing this anyway.. Seeing how many people will donate, then divide it up, or just a free for all sort of thing?
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Dividing it up if that's feasible, I think, either with a donation page or via email invoices. I'll be putting that to people once we've moved and I know what the various commission rates are (obviously, I'd like as much of the money collected as possible to go towards the actual site rather than Paypal).

Mainly posting to remind people that the site will be going down tonight, midnight my time and 4pm NST/Pacific time. You need to fix your email addresses (I know some people still haven't because I can see your emails bouncing!) and save a copy of anything you want before then.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: Discussion regarding the announcement above

Post by Jessi »

I just wanted to post to say AWESOME JOB, JAZZY! When i saw your notice in the LJ, I was like "...no freaking way!" But here we are, and I have my Internet Crack back!

Thanks for the quick work - you are awesome!
gomababe

Post by gomababe »

Thank you so much for the very efficient work you'vedone for us Jazzy *bows down to your greatness*. I've been so lost without this place you wouldn't believ it ^_^;.Thakies again.
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

I could definitely spare some money each year, so count me in as well for donation. With the amount of active users on this forum $200 is almost nothing. I'm sure we have 200 active members, so that's like $1 per person. I know not everyone can donate though, but still, it should be a relatively small amount per person, I think it's do-able.
Image Image
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Thanks for all your hard work, Jazzy, and for getting the site back up so fast!

And thanks to Kamil, who hosted it before. :)
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

Wow! Great job Jazzy! Everything looks great! Defently something I need to get use to but I'm likeing it. It's running so smoothly too, very nice! **hugs**
As for donations I'll see what I can do. I have to be tight on money till I'm able to work again. But I'll try to do my best so I can donate. This place has been so great and i want to give my part.
I also want to thank Kamil for hosting this place for so long. **hugs**
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

We're back! Yay, Jazzy! :-)
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

YES! I was really pleasantly surprised to see it back up so fast!! I read on LJ and was expecting not to check back in here until after I was back in my own apartment with my computer. Way to go Jazzy!

And I echo some big THANKS to Kamil (past) and Miguel (present) both for hosting this! It's definitely been one of my internet staples for a long time.