Pruning, and what you guys think.

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
FaerieInGrey

Re: Pruning, and what you guys think.

Post by FaerieInGrey »

I totally agree with you about Chit-Chat and the thread. It makes me really sad, actually.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

If we do merge AaToW with Misc I would prefer it if people were still permitted to post their achievement or tale of woe on a separate thread in Misc if they feel the achievement/woe is big enough to warrant it.
Yep, that sounds fine to me. Also, I didn't say "no-one plays neopets anymore", I said "Subeta currently has more active posters", which I still think is true. (Read as "more active posters", rather than "more active posters".)

It hadn't occurred to me about the real-life AaToW thread before...hmmm. What do people think should be done about that? I know I've posted some things there which I don't think I would've if I'd had to make them a new thread, because I didn't want that sort of attention, but I also know that people don't reply to that thread as often as they would if it were individual threads instead. (That was the main reason I posted there instead...)

The 43-page downtime thread is beginning to grate on me, because it seems almost entirely made up of posts like "subeta is down" "still down :(" "yay, it's up, let's watch it go down again" and it seems like it's only occasionally not a complete waste of db space.
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

Jazzy wrote: The 43-page downtime thread is beginning to grate on me, because it seems almost entirely made up of posts like "subeta is down" "still down :(" "yay, it's up, let's watch it go down again" and it seems like it's only occasionally not a complete waste of db space.
Don't know how possible this would be, but could something like the old Tumaculus Alert be set up, so that if Subeta was down and x people clicked the link, it would show up on the page somewhere, and then when x people hit it to confirm it is up again, it goes away?
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Jazzy wrote:
If we do merge AaToW with Misc I would prefer it if people were still permitted to post their achievement or tale of woe on a separate thread in Misc if they feel the achievement/woe is big enough to warrant it.
Yep, that sounds fine to me. Also, I didn't say "no-one plays neopets anymore", I said "Subeta currently has more active posters", which I still think is true. (Read as "more active posters", rather than "more active posters".)

It hadn't occurred to me about the real-life AaToW thread before...hmmm. What do people think should be done about that? I know I've posted some things there which I don't think I would've if I'd had to make them a new thread, because I didn't want that sort of attention, but I also know that people don't reply to that thread as often as they would if it were individual threads instead. (That was the main reason I posted there instead...)

The 43-page downtime thread is beginning to grate on me, because it seems almost entirely made up of posts like "subeta is down" "still down :(" "yay, it's up, let's watch it go down again" and it seems like it's only occasionally not a complete waste of db space.
It was Madge who said that. :wink:

I'm not really sure what should be done about RL AaToW. I do think that some of the stuff people post there is minor stuff that's pretty appropriate to go there (I did well on my math test, that sort of thing) but one occasionally gets serious stuff there that once upon a time would have had it's own thread -- car accidents, people or pets dying, that sort of thing. I know when I started a new thread about my Mom being diagnosed with cancer, I had a knee-jerk (though I knew it was silly) thought that maybe someone would think it should go into the sticky instead. I think the stickys seem to suck related topics into them... I'm not sure what the solution to that issue is, though.

I think the downtime thread it useful because it gives people a place to complain. I think if it wasn't there, people would just complain somewhere else. :-) Maybe split off and prune all but the last couple of pages periodically? I think it's good to have a place to complain but I doubt most of the stuff there needs to be saved.
Madge

Post by Madge »

The thing I like about the RL AaToW is that I can watch that thread and have a good handle on the lives of lots of forum members, so to speak - it's a one-stop shop on seeing how everyone's doing, so to speak. The threads devoted to serious AaToW, I generally don't post on or read more than the first post because I don't feel as though I can really make a response worthy of the gravity of most sad subjects, and happy subjects I feel I trivialise (which I know is more or less the same as not being worthy of the gravity, but the fact remains I befoul happy threads with my horrible attempts at being, y'know, me). But in the sticky, everyone lives in harmony, you can talk about yourself as well as address others, "Congrats on getting your license, Fred! In other news I just got to have a threesome with two hot chicks...", that sort of thing. I like it a lot. That said it is kind of bad when people post weighty issues in it, because who can post "I got a letter saying my units were rescaled and I got 2% more in Hydraulics which means my Credit became a Distinction" after someone's said they were in a car accident and killed 4 small children?

Also, my whole "no-one plays neopets any more" is a hyperbole more than anything else, since as anyone would probably guess I tend to exaggerate a teensy bit. So apologies for anything I may have said in the past or will say in the future and have probably said in this thread that are hyperbole but people do not interpret them as such.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

See, then there's the flip side: I rarely read the RL AaToW thread, so if big life events are posted there I don't find out about them.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Which is why the solution is obvious: there should be an image taken of my brain, and this image should be uploaded to everyone else's head, then we will end up with every single poster being exactly like me. Isn't that what we all want for the forum, deep down?
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

Absolutely, Madge.
Strawberry Limeade

Post by Strawberry Limeade »

Madge wrote: "Congrats on getting your license, Fred! In other news I just got to have a threesome with two hot chicks...", that sort of thing. I like it a lot. That said it is kind of bad when people post weighty issues in it, because who can post "I got a letter saying my units were rescaled and I got 2% more in Hydraulics which means my Credit became a Distinction" after someone's said they were in a car accident and killed 4 small children
Gosh, I want to read the AaToW thread that Madge reads.

Also, I would like to second Illuen's idea of Turmaculus like alerts for if Subeta is currently operational or not. And declare a moratorium on posts such as, "subeta is down :( "
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I like having the "Subeta is Down" thread because it's a good place for both heads-up and venting. I say prune the heck out of it though. :) I don't see any reason to keep (most of) the old posts on there beyond a few days, but I think it would be good to keep it there to post on.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I like the "Subeta is down" posts, because sometimes Subeta's just laggy, and sometimes it loads for some people but not others, and sometimes someone knows WHY it's down or for how long because they happened to read some obscure forum that was the only place a programmer decided to talk about it (heh), and sometimes only subetax.org loads, and... you get the idea. It's good that we have a thread for that information. Posts don't need to stick around longer than a day or two, though.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Well, what I was planning to do was this - and actually, I'm way ahead of you guys on this one, I started coding this back in November and just forgot about it :P

- Have a Subeta is up/down notice at the top of the forum, and possibly on the Subeta index, including "subeta might be up" and "subeta might be down". It would use the last n submitted up/down reports; if they all agree or all agree but one or so, it would say "subeta is [up/down] and has been since approximately [time]", but if more than that disagree, it would go to a more categorical statement.
- Include user numbers of submissions, restrict it to registered users only, and don't allow people to submit up/down reports within a given timeframe after their last one.
- Include a link to a "known issues" thread with the notice, in which people would be able to post if they have heard something useful - eg, programmer x has given a reason for the downtime, or programmer y has said it will last until [time], or subeta only works from a certain URL, but only then. No posts saying it's up or down at all.

What's Subeta's timezone? That was something I got stuck on for the script.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Subeta's on EST.
Image Image
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

GMT -5, right? I'll try and get that working later today, then, once I'm done with pharmacy stuff.

And yes, Madge, would that we were all like you :)
Madge

Post by Madge »

Everyone except you, Jazzy. I couldn't do all the fancy webcoding that you do.

You'll have to take one for the team and not be absorbed into the Madge Collective, you will code feverishly whilst the Madge demands forums devoted entirely to dirty words which can be found in the digits of pi.
Strawberry Limeade wrote:
Madge wrote: "Congrats on getting your license, Fred! In other news I just got to have a threesome with two hot chicks...", that sort of thing. I like it a lot. That said it is kind of bad when people post weighty issues in it, because who can post "I got a letter saying my units were rescaled and I got 2% more in Hydraulics which means my Credit became a Distinction" after someone's said they were in a car accident and killed 4 small children
Gosh, I want to read the AaToW thread that Madge reads.
Hey, hey, all we need to do is encourage people to post more acheivements about having hot threesomes. And if my idea of the Madge Collective is realised, EVERY SINGLE NEOCOLOURS MEETUP EVER would become a hot lesbian orgy. Where do I submit my proposal? Seriously!