Adoption forum questions

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Adoption forum questions

Post by Jessi »

I searched the forum guidelines and didn't see this, so i thought I'd bring it back up, just in case.

Even though there are now transfers and it makes moving pets around safer, are we going to bring back the old rule that you are not supposed to reply to adoption threads? I was curious about this and thought I'd ask.

Also, again for curiosity's sake, is the adoption section only visable to members, and not guests? I guess I could log out and check this myself, but... oh well.
Arviragus

Re: Adoption forum questions

Post by Arviragus »

I logged out and was able to see the Adoptions forum, if that's of any help to you whatsoever.
Subeta
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I think a big part of hiding the adoptions forum from non-members was to avoid the possibility of a transfer being intercepted. Which can't really happen now, if you're doing it using the proper transfer feature. And as far as we know, no one could auto refresh a particular url either, because there's no direct adopt link for pets which have been abandoned.

I guess maybe the other reason was that we didn't want people coming along and joining simply to ask for pets, so by hiding the Adoptions forum it wasn't so obvious to people "just passing through". I don't know if that's important any more or not. It might be good to have some instructions for the Adoptions forum in the forum itself, anyway.

I have two new questions: firstly, could we move the stickies which used to be in Adoptions back in there? They're in Misc. now, which is rather full of stickies- I think the free pet names and the pets in the pound stickies both were in Adoptions before?

Secondly, would it be possible to have a Neopet linking custom BBcode? I don't know if it would be used enough to merit it being there, but as I was making my adoptions topic it occurred to me that it might be possible and useful- not just for adoptions but when making aesthetics type topics too.
Neopets wishlists: here
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I'm going to make a request here: at the moment, I'm not exactly thinking brilliantly well, and while I'm happy to implement people's suggestions, would you be able to put them into a format which is straightforward bullet points saying exactly what you mean? I'd rather you treated me as if I'm a bit slow rather than me doing things wrong and having to go back and fix them.

So, for example:
1. Move {sticky name} to adoptions
2. Create a code which works like this: you do {action} and it displays {something}
Same sort of thing for questions.

(Note: I'm not going to be responding to these requests until people repost them...since I'm asking for people to simplify and clarify things, I'm not certain I've read them right in the first place.)

And if they're suggestions or questions regarding the adoptions forum and not in this thread, I will be ignoring them.

--------

Regarding guest access: because guests can no longer intercept transfers by refreshing the quick adopt link, drive-by interceptions should no longer be as easy, so I'd like to make the forum visible to guests as it shows what we have available, and might encourage some people to sign up. It's always good to have new members.
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

•Can you move the Pets in the Pound and Free Names stickies back to the Adoptions forum?

..sorry, Jazzy, i don't like to sound demanding xD I had to word it as a question xD;
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

heehee. I really don't mind demands in this case as long as they're reasonable. Done!

(Posting "give me a pony" won't work. Sorry!)
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I really like daisybell's idea, so I'll put it in point form for her:

• Create a code that works like this: When we type [neopet]PETNAME[/neopet], it displays the pet's name as a link to its profile(http://www.neopets.com/petlookup.phtml?pet=PETNAME).

(If people don't like [neopet][/neopet], suggest something else... it doesn't really matter!)
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

• Put some instructions on the Adoptions forum about the format of posts and the 'rules' regarding what's reasonable to ask people to do for a pet. I can't remember what the old rules said.

• The free pet names topic, whether it is moved or not, it very bloated. It could probably be split to remove many old posts with used names.

(thanks Cranberry, that's exactly what I meant :D)
Neopets wishlists: here
EofS

Post by EofS »

Might I suggest YOURNEOPET'SNAME for the code? That keeps a 'neopets tag free for some super clever use later on if necessary.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Done the code, using petname. Example of it in use (you can quote my post if the code's not obvious):
Narkhi

I've put some rules/guidelines up. Let me know if anything needs amending or adding. The minimum post counts, etc, are subject to change when the actual thread's in place. I think Jessi planned to do that.

I'm not going to touch the petname topic; someone else is free to go through it, but I haven't the patience at the moment.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Jazzy wrote:I'm not going to touch the petname topic; someone else is free to go through it, but I haven't the patience at the moment.

*raises hand* I'll do it. Walk in the park for an old Lorrennlister.

Edit: It'll be finished tomorrow. My copy-paste fingers are aching.
Last edited by Rainbow Daydreamer on 01 May 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

If Jessi doesn't want to do the requests thread, I'm happy to. (Heh, I still have all the old requests - we should start from scratch, though.) Or if she does want to, I can send her my copy of the rules for reference.
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

Rachel, I actually just posted it - I didn't even think to ask you first, I just kind of jumped on it xD I've taken it over for now but if I get distracted by it later (I shouldn't, but you never know, right? ;D) I'll let you know!

If you want to send me your rules though, that'd be great - i can always edit my post.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

EofS wrote:Might I suggest [petname*]YOURNEOPET'SNAME[/petname*] for the code? That keeps a 'neopets tag free for some super clever use later on if necessary.

I liked [neopet] because then we could have done a Subeta one, too -- is so generic. I'm just happy to have the code, though. :) Thanks, Jazzy (and daisybell)!
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

The problem with doing a Subeta one, Cranberry, is Subeta pet lookups are done by the pet's number, not by their name - I'm not sure if there'd be a good way to do a tag like that. I love the idea of this tag for Neopets though - that'd be awesome!