Forum Upgrade

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Forum Upgrade

Post by Jazzy »

Hi guys, have just upgraded the forum from phpbb 3.0.4 to 3.0.5. As far as I can tell, it appears to be working okay, but If there are any problems, please let me know - either by posting to this thread, via PM, or through email (octobermoth[at]hotmail[dot]com).

Next plan is to sort out new features like HAs, but I think I will wait a bit, because it has taken no less than three hours tonight to upload the upgraded files, all 2.8mb of them. I'm too busy getting annoyed at my connection to do this properly now (for the curious, I eventually emailed the files to Miguel and he uploaded them; the upgrade itself took approximately five minutes to set live).

So, list of things which I plan to do, in order:
- edit the display of PMs so the person's username and avatar appears at the right, like on posts, rather than below. This is a glitch I've been intending to fix for ages, so it's first. This will be very quick to do.
- add human avatars to people's profile as an optional extra, with a flag in the avatar box to let people know they're there. This will be slightly slower, but still reasonably fast.
- fix the avatar page to add a count for avatars which matches the one on your Neopets profile. Currently, it counts all avatars, but some should be excluded (eg, the Premium one).
- look into an IRC chat. This will be slow, and may well need to be left until I next have a weekend off or longer. (My placement has me working alternate Saturdays, mutter mutter grumble. I miss having two days off in a row where I don't have things to do; I used my last proper weekend to move house.) Even then, I don't guarantee it quickly, as I will need to make sure that the chat is suitable for integration, and then will need to code it in.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Forum Upgrade

Post by AngharadTy »

Hooray! Thanks for keeping us in shape. =D =D
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Thank-you, Jazzy! *hugs*
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Jazzy, i'm not sure if this has anything to to with the upgrade, but yesterday for both Lindsey and I NC were down for various amount of times -after- you finished upgrading the forum. The entire site was down - it just wouldn't load, it would tell us it was taking too long to respond.

There's a chance it was just our connection, since we ARE on the same connection, but we have the highest level of internet you can possibly get (yay Lindsey's job xD) so I thought I'd let you know anyway just in case!
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

Jessibean wrote:the highest level of internet you can possibly get
Let's not turn this into an ISP e-peen contest, Jessi - I might not win from here, but I bet I can get somewhere that I can :P

Anyway, back OT - thank you for doing the upgrade Jazzy, it's definitely appreciated. Does this mean we now have a new registration captcha?
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

ROFL Ben I meant specifically the highest level of internet we can get through our internet provider xD
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Which address were you using, neocolours.me.uk or neocolours.eu? I've noticed a few timeouts on neocolours.eu before which don't seem to happen on .me.uk. If there were timeouts after my post, I will have gone to bed, so it wasn't that I was sneakily pulling the site back down as I sometimes do post-upgrade :P I did have a lot of trouble uploading the upgrade, so it's possible the site hosting had problems last night.

edit to answer the captcha question: not especially new unfortunately. I tried ramping the captcha up to 11 and succeeded in making it entirely illegible. See for yourself:
Image Image Image
It feels more like a colourblindness test than a captcha.