Professor Milton Clodbottle's Astounding Habitarium (Beta)

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Re: Professor Milton Clodbottle's Astounding Habitarium (Bet

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I think regular barracks (for soldiers only) and regular hospitals rest up your pets faster than regular houses. I have two barracks and two hospitals and a whole bunch of houses. Almost all are level 2.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Fjorab_Teke wrote:I think regular barracks (for soldiers only) and regular hospitals rest up your pets faster than regular houses. I have two barracks and two hospitals and a whole bunch of houses. Almost all are level 2.
Well, I've heard that too, but I'm just curious if it's enough of a difference to justify the cost. I've already got six level two houses and plan to upgrade them all to level three, but I've been debating if I should just keep to having houses or if I should invest in barracks and hospitals as well. I'm eventually planning to have twelve nesters and there's just not a lot of room on the habitarium.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

I like having the barracks just because it means I have a place designated just for the soldiers so I can pull them out in a hurry to fight invaders, as sometimes happens when I've put almost all of them in the barracks to rest. I think that alone makes the barracks worthwhile, though of course you can do the same with color-coded or specifically placed houses. Still though, nice to have a place you can't accidentally drop a worker and loose track of it. The hospital I never use, but keep it around because it's pretty and adds some variety. Honestly though, at level 37 my resources are capping over and over on me, so it's not like I'm hurting from the cost of anything.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

As you level up, you will be begging for things to spend your resources on. I bought and discarded so many barracks, hospitals, houses, and expensive decorations.

I only keep three nesters at a time, because hatching/discarding eggs is not where the money is. You make a lot more resources/level up faster if you have mostly workers (they harvest at about four times the speed of nesters). I believe the best strategy is to keep them harvesting constantly, buy buildings with the resources, have workers build the buildings for the xp, upgrade the buildings for more xp, and then discard the unwanted buildings. I like the strategy section here.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

One situation in which I'd suggest having more nesters is if you've separated tasks by species - if you have, say, only Pinchit workers and Larnikin soldiers, you'll need more nesters total because you'll have to discard all the Mootix and Larnikin worker eggs, all the Pinchit and Mootix soldier eggs, etc.
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I have 2 nesters of each kind, 8 soldiers (will bump to 10 soon, have half active at any time), and 20 workers. My nesters go in the hospitals while i collect eggs, soldiers stay in barracks (each group has their barracks), and the row of houses is for workers when they get sleepy. It's easier for me to keep track of them that way, and i like the variety of buildings.
EofS

Post by EofS »

Cranberry wrote:I only keep three nesters at a time, because hatching/discarding eggs is not where the money is. You make a lot more resources/level up faster if you have mostly workers (they harvest at about four times the speed of nesters).
But do workers harvest 200xp worth each per hour? Or does it just work out like that once you add in xp for the building, upgrading etc?
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

It was a while back, so I can't find the posts now, but people on the forums did the math and found that yes, workers harvest approx. 300xp each per hour (at the top levels). Building and discarding the structures gets you extra.

Edit: Found this post online:
I use the experience per hour per P3 to compare.

Since the Habitarium updates every 30 seconds and every worker earns 2-3 experience per update, that's somewhere between:

(120 updates/hour) * (2 exp/update) = 240 exp/hour
(120 updates/hour) * (3 exp/update) = 360 exp/hour

Meanwhile a nester in a level 3 nest will create a finished egg in 50 minutes (supposedly). Discarding that egg is 200 experience.

(7/6 eggs/hour) * (200 exp/egg) = 233 exp/hour

Worker pros:
* Can be left alone for up to 8 hours
* Average experience is likely higher
* Provides you with a steady supply of resources!
* Usually unaffected by pests (unless the pests destroy a resource)
* Doesn't require a nest to be productive
* Doesn't require you to actively harvest NP

Nester pros:
* Usually regains stamina when left on a finished egg
* Will finish an egg even if your Habitarium is closed (and will fully recover)
* Replenishes your P3s
* Won't stop nesting even if attacked by a pest
* Only generates gems when you delete the eggs - won't fill your Habitarium while you're away

There's some argument to each, and I was making good NP from pure nesters. I don't tend to leave my computer up and running, so workers are useless at night. But I admit after I saw that level 3 workers harvested 2+ NP per update I shifted my balance to the workers.
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

Tip: When you're trying to get rid of some Hab resources, buy nests. Build them and then upgrade to Level 3. Then you can just discard them. The building and upgrading gets you like 800exp per nest and uses some serious resources.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Cranberry wrote: * Only generates gems when you delete the eggs - won't fill your Habitarium while you're away
This is what makes me nervous. I'm so afraid to leave my Hab up for any amount of time, thinking that I may somehow accidentally refresh it with a lot of gems out and get locked out (if that is still happening).

But, that's all very interesting. I'm sure I'll change my strategy if we ever get new levels. But, for now, I just check on my nesters whenever I get a chance, and may or may not leave some workers out for a little bit too.
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I wish there were a list for what all the sounds mean (there's one i haven't figured out - maybe a building or resource badly damaged?) and a definitive guide for what the resources look like in various states of repair (my flower seems to change colors regularly).

And i'd like to see a list of known glitches if anyone has posted them somewhere.

And now i'm pondering whether to go species-specific for certain things for visual clarity. I like the Pinchits best visually and sound-wise (they're quieter to move around). I also noticed that the color of their legs/claws is slightly different when they're facing toward you versus facing away.
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

I've noticed a few specific sounds. Some of them were harder for me to figure out at first, so I've noted those. Oh, please forgive my poor phonetic renditions.

A sort of chime up noise for a p3 ending it's life cycle and turning into a gem
A pah-loop sound for killing invaders/collecting their gems
The pwhaaaaaash! sound is when a resource has been temporarily rendered useless by invaders
There's also a noise for yawning p3s that I can't quite recall well enough to try to recreate in text

I doubt you or anyone could find those helpful, but I did try.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

I hate how sometimes you can't get a certain profession from your nesters. I was keeping 3 nesters, 5 soldiers, and the rest workers. My nesters decided they weren't gonna produce any workers, so by the time my workers died off, I only had like, 5 in my bag. Usually, enough worker eggs are lain throughout the week to repopulate me, but not this time. I've had to hatch a bunch of nesters, and I'm just now getting a significant number of worker eggs.

So annoying.
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

It's the "pwaash" sound that got me, mostly. I figured it had something to do with the invaders, but nothing serious seemed to happen with the sound.
Fury

Post by Fury »

Oh maaaan, I am addicted to this after starting last night!

I'm on level 10 and have been helped out greatly by lots of people on the Habitarium Board gifting items. I've asked for mainly nests and houses so have now got a neat little row of 6 nests complete with nesting critters. Now just to wait for a level up and population increase...

Please neofriend me on fury and I'll happily help you out every day that I'm on. I won't raid and would appreciate non-raiding friends also. I am clearly a wuss.