Negg Hunt 2012

Post anything new on Neopets here.
covet

Re: Negg Hunt 2012

Post by covet »

It seemed odd to me too, but maybe the knight just got in early to say OH BTW I'M DEFINITELY NOT TAKING IT and then they all agreed he didn't have to and the rest would discuss it after they spend several more days bickering over where to take their vacations.
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Argh, i need to stop waiting until the last minute to do things. Neo won't load for me at all now. :-(
covet

Post by covet »

New Info:

Rutu is not a blacksmith
The sand negg is not going to Altador.
The blacksmith is not going to Altador.
Hurok is not the group's explorer.

So we know, for sure:

Brightvale is ruled out as a location

Voughn is ruled out as a carrier
Hurok is ruled out as a carrier
The explorer is ruled out as a carrier.
The knight is ruled out as a carrier.
The blacksmith is ruled out as a carrier.

Selvin did not go to Lost Desert
Selvin did not go to Brightvale

Rutu went to shenkuu.

thoughts --->

We have 5 neggs

Cloud (Vaughn)
Glass (to Brightvale)
Sand (the blacksmith)
(Unknown)
Clockwork

Selvin can't be taking the Glass, as she won't go to brightvale.
She can't be taking the Sand as she's not the blacksmith.
She's not taking Cloud, Vaughn is.

That leaves Selvin with Clockwork and unknown.

Rutu can't be taking the Glass as he's going to shenkuu
He can't be taking the sand as he's not the blacksmith.
He's not taking the Cloud, Vaughn is.

That leaves Rutu with the Clockwork and unknown.

It fairly definitively shows it's either Rutu or Selvin, doesn't it?
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Agreed.

My yesterdays chart wasn't that bad. (I now have several by the way) The block where the professions cross the destinations had some mistakes (Which was the last to get some colours based on some assumptions) all the others line up.

So based on the new info:
rutu is not the blacksmith
so the blacksmith does not go to shenkuu
blacksmith takes the sand negg
blaksmith and the sand negg do not go to altador
they do not go to brightvale (glass negg goes there) or shenkuu because rutu goes there

First assumption:
if selvin goes to kiko lake, because some-one else took altador, than the blacksmith has only the lost desert left as destination.
which means that voughn, who is not the blacksmith because he takes the cloud negg and who could go to the lost desert or altador, must go to altador.

so at this point the cloud negg goes to altador and the sand negg goes to the lost desert
that leaves, again, kiko lake and shenkuu as only options for both the clockwork negg and the last unnamed negg.
So ricky does not take the clockwork negg. (Because he doesn't go to kiko lake or shenkuu)

And going with the earlier assumption that rutu is not the explorer and neither are voughn and hurok, that leaves me with a more colourfull chart (but I have some earlier versions saved for tomorrows info):

Selvin to Kiko lake with clockwork or unknown negg as the wizard
Voughn to altador with the cloud negg as the knight or unknown
Ricky to brightvale with the glass negg as the explorer
Hurok to the lost desert with the sand negg as the blacksmith
Rutu to shenkuu with the clockwork or unknown negg as the knight or unknown

I'm really liking this kind of puzzles. I also rather like discussing it here, Fjorab, I hope you can get neo to load for you soon and join in the fun!

Also based on the art, I'm guessing Rutu is not the knight!
covet

Post by covet »

The main thing that raises for me is if
glass negg - brightvale
sand negg - desert

then going by negg types it might make sense for the clockwork negg to go to altador as they have a history of clockwork items.

So i'm leaving my guess as Selvin - > Kiko Lake

But it's possible it could be Selvin - > Altador.

This still seems unlikely, but it does give me pause. However the cloud negg to Altador would also make sense given their sun logo. and I'm just not sure what negg would sum up Kiko Lake (as there's no water negg) or Shenkuu.

Just a sideline of thought really.
Marah

Post by Marah »

Interesting, maybe the last negg is an origami negg? But clockwork would suit moltara much, much better and that isn't an option.

I'm still feeling good about Selvin and kiko lake, with rutu and shenkuu as a close second.

I just peeked at Jellyneo, they have Selvin with the clockwork negg as their answer in every grid with Altador or kiko lake as possible locations. But they have Ricky as the blacksmith. They don't give their reasoning on the main page, so I don't understand how they came to that conclusion. Jazzy? Did you find another solution?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Yeah, that's something I don't really understand either - I don't see what allows them to draw that conclusion. Ricky still hasn't been mentioned so I do suspect he's the narrator, and the narrator wouldn't complain about having to wait for the blacksmith's hand to heal if he was the blacksmith. Because there's a remaining unmentioned career (we've only had wizard, knight, explorer and blacksmith so far) it can't be a process of elimination, either, because you can't yet rule out the career that hasn't been mentioned.
Marah

Post by Marah »

So what do you think Ricky is? Because the explorer has been mentioned in the story. (And he so looks like the explorer)
Also, apparently the mystery negg challenge will be a 3-parter with the puzzle being the 1st part. I hadn't noticed that yet. Just like this text:

Once the team was assembled, they gathered at a secret location at the protector's behest. It was here that they were told why they'd been summoned and given the option to leave. Only one candidate opted out; he was sent on his way after downing an elixir that erased any recollection of the encounter. Those who remained then held a series of meetings to come up with a plan. Once that was settled upon, the protector's team went about gathering supplies and then making the necessary preparations to carry out their respective missions

The information about this thing is a bit fragmented. But there seems to have been a 6th person, some-one who will end up stealing the negg?
covet

Post by covet »

Personally I think the journal may be being written by another person, the 'protector' who might be the Negg faerie?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I think Ricky is the remaining unmentioned career (which might even be something obvious for a narrator like "scribe"). The narrator isn't the explorer because the explorer keeps the narrator awake at night, so if Ricky is the narrator he can't be the explorer.

I've seen the other person theory on the boards - the only thing is, the entries make it seem like the narrator is part of the team, with him being kept awake at night around other team members, being part of "us", etc.

There is also the theory that there isn't a fixed narrator, and that different team members have written each entry. The only thing is, normally in logic puzzles if something is mentioned it is relevant somehow, so things like the explorer keeping the narrator awake at night would usually establish that they are two separate team members, who both could take the negg. Throwaway comments are unusual but if there is no fixed narrator, then that turns from a hint into a useless comment about snoring (useless because you've no way of working out who said it).

(If anyone wants an example of how a seemingly throwaway comment is usually actually useful, here's a riddle: "One day at school, Mark said to Rebecca, ‘I have three siblings. The product of their ages is thirty-six. The sum of their ages is the same as my age. How old are they?’ Rebecca thought about that for a while, then said to Mark, ‘Hey! You didn’t give me enough information to solve the problem.’ Mark apologized and said, ‘The oldest one likes rainforest crunch ice cream.’")
Marah

Post by Marah »

I can see your point (never heard of rainforest crunch ice cream though) but that leaves the comments of the blacksmiths hand and the good weather in brightvale. Would they have meaning too? I think the decision decides on wether you think the puzzle is straight up with background information thrown in to draw us into the story or if we should be overthinking it. I'm wavering between the two to be honest. With TNT you never know!

This reminds me a bit of the shenkuu bonju plot, which I actively tried to do and completely failed at. I can't remember if it was because I was severely over or underthinking the clues though. No pretty items or site theme for me :( I still feel sulky about that one.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I figured Rutu was the explorer, and that's why he was so excited to visit Shenkuu (someplace he'd never been -- just because he's an explorer doesn't mean he's been everywhere already!). That doesn't really help with figuring out where Selvin took the clockwork negg, though; I still end up with the same two options as everyone else. This thing doesn't contain enough information to be solvable for sure yet. Is there going to be one more entry before the thing ends?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

At the time, I read it as "the person who went to Brightvale has already set off", which meant that any debates in later entries about who'd go where, who was annoying whom, and who was called what couldn't apply to them, because they weren't in camp anymore. I wouldn't stick rigidly to that theory, but it makes reasonable sense. The blacksmith's hand - rules out the Kau and Ixi with hooves as being the blacksmith and carrying the sand negg, perhaps (Selvin and Voughn)?

Jellyneo's grid now says Hurok is the blacksmith; the whole point of a grid like that is you only enter what you know, not make guesses you later retract, which they're definitely not sticking by...so while they're now saying Selvin definitely has the clockwork negg and Rutu has the unnamed negg, I doubt their reliability. I agree, Cran, that there still isn't enough information; I'm fairly sure there's at least one more entry due.
covet

Post by covet »

I haven't looked at anyone's grids but

He must be taking clockwork negg or the unknown negg.

Applies to Rutu whether or not he's the explorer - if he is the explorer it rules him out as having the clockwork negg and means Selvin has it for sure.

And whether or not hooves/hands is a throwaway comment, Selvin is the wizard, so cannot be the blacksmith (with the sand negg) or the explorer, or Vaughn (with the cloud negg) or the person going to brightvale (with the glass negg).

It would make Hurok the blacksmith.
I can see Rutu as the explorer although I think their 'exotic places' comment suggested inexperience, it could just be taken as a love of exploration.
Selvin is definitely the wizard.

That leaves Vougn and Ricky as the potential knight and Voughn certainly looks more built for it.
covet

Post by covet »

Ugh so Kiko Lake is WRONG the plant negg is going there, and by elimination,

He's not taking the Plant negg, it's going to Kiko lake

So Selvin must be taking the plant negg to K Lake and Rutu the clockwork negg to Shenkuu. There's no other possibly answer.

And I thought there was no way it would be the one they outright gave us early on.

Unless there's some huge twist, the answer must be Rutu - Shenkuu
which means Rutu can't be the explorer, which means Ricky must be the explorer.

UNLESS THE BASKET TEARING MEANS THE PLANT NEGG IS GONE AND THEN SELVIN TAKES THE CLOCKWORK TO KIKO LAKE

i just changed my guess to RUTU sjkdsk if i hadn't I might have left it as Selvin.

Tch i would have been so pleased if I'd had it right from the first day!

(I changed it back to Selvin in Kiko Lake and will now be grumpy whether right *or* wrong. Never change guesses while sleepy -_-)