A New Battling Era Awaits...

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Rainbow Daydreamer

A New Battling Era Awaits...

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

I felt this might be of, oh, minor interest to a couple of you.
Battledome News! - In the next week or so, we'll be taking down the current Battledome permanently to make way for a NEW BATTLEDOME coming later this year! We'll be providing more information in the weeks to come, but for now, take this time to say your final farewells to an old friend. *tear*

We had some good times, old Battledome. We had some good times.

We also thought we'd open sign-ups for the Battledome Closed Beta. We're a ways away from that still, but if you're interested in participating when the time comes, check out the sign-up page!
I'm actually totally psyched about this. It seems like a great way to kill two birds with one, um, Ylana's Blaster; pull back older members who like Battledoming and normally only show up for plots, and give the BD some actual relevance to newer players. Not to mention clearing out some of the most outdated and misleading information on the freakin' site. If TNT do this with the right mixture of common sense and courage, it could be one of the best revamps yet. But I know there's probably going to be quite a few feathers ruffled by changes to such a long-standing institution.

So, what do you hope/fear to see?
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Kantark

Re: A New Battling Era Awaits...

Post by Kantark »

I'll miss it but then TBH I only used it during plots and for gender changes. I'll be interested to see what they come up with - the BD has been promised an overhaul for as long as I can remember. Hopefully the gap between the loss of the old and the introduction of the new (or, at least, the beta-testing of the new) will be measured in days or weeks rather than months.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Madge

Post by Madge »

The BD was what first attracted me to neopets at age 12, and it's been unchanged for so long that it's due for an update.

They had BETTER not fuck it up.

Oh, and RD - whatever happened to your blog?! I faithfully read every post and it's been silent for a good while :(

-
Bif

Post by Bif »

I have only just starting getting into the BD, mostly to do things like DoN and earn trophies or to gain BD avatars (plus, just in case there is a plot/war). Especially seeing as the price of codestones and doubloons has decreased so much AND that you can get the Faerie Fortune Cookies it seems like this is the very best time to train and battle.

What I hope for:
More BD related avatars
A plot to test it out

What I dread:
Retiring of current BD avatars and DoN
Downgrading the power of my current weapons
Making movement more important because I haven't trained it that much

Though these are simply selfish wants/dreads given that I don't know that much about the BD and what could be done to improve it.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I notice the sign up page mentions "prizes" - it'll be good if the BD could be a source of income/better items.
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

I'm not an avid battler. I mostly just bother with it during plots and for DoN. But, I'm glad it's getting an update. It's been a long neglected feature of the site. I'm glad that TNT is finally starting to update a lot of old things (I keep wishing they'd update the Gormball and Dice-a-Roo art).

A new DoN2 opponent would be nice. The last one was like, 4 years ago or something.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I'm looking forward to it. I might go in and see if there's anything at all i can catch that i might have missed, but i think i've battled and beaten ALL my available opponents (including the hardest on my list, Snowager) and have been waiting for more DoN challenges.

I also neglected movement, but if they implement it well, it might be a nice addition.

I don't do 2-player, and i doubt this will convince me to try it even if it remains a major component.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Interesting news. I'm rather excited to see what they come up with. I only ever really battled for plots (with my stats, most challengers are easy. Yay long term lab pet) so it will be nice to see something fresh come out.
Hopefully it won't take too long to implement that changes.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Madge wrote:Oh, and RD - whatever happened to your blog?! I faithfully read every post and it's been silent for a good while :(
Yes, ditto.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

As Tim Gunn would say, I'm concerned. I have 30m np worth of weapons and selfishly, I don't want those weapons to be downgraded. On the other hand, like Fjorab I've beaten every available opponent (except the Qasalan Mummy because I prefer the Drowned trophy) so it'd be nice to have new challenges, or some sort of experience system.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I probably would have been worried about this three years ago. My pet has some good equipment like a SoS and PCC and LEV and stuff. But although I've diligently trained up to the 700 boosts, I haven't really battled since then -- I beat every opponent on site and there haven't been any challenges since to draw me back in. There have been a lot of new weapons released and I'm kind of lost now. So if this update ends up ruining the BD, I won't be too upset. If it ends up being awesome, maybe it'll bring me back!
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

This won't be bringing me back, but I'm terribly curious to know just what exactly they plan on doing. If they can take the tedium out of battles, then I'm all for it and hope everyone who still plays can finally enjoy it.
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

A small sneak peek was posted by TNT on their Facebook about an hour ago.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 004&type=1
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

....I have waining mixed feelings about it. I've never been able to get out of being a mid-range player. (Never had the discipline to save for expensive weapons, and I totally would've been in favor of a heavy damage Neocash weapon). BD was always the height of Neo for me, even 12 years ago. I'll be (a tad) annoyed if I spent the last 14 weeks of daily Cookie Quests beefing up Rendivir only to have it taken away. However, there really is nothing for me to do on the site other than waste money on the Usuki gallery. It's been like that for at least 3 years now.

I think taking the BD (and Portal) away finally made me outgrow Neo and ultimately burnout what little interest I have left. I was wondering what it would take to really abandon the site. (I cancelled Premium today as well.)
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Darigan

Post by Darigan »

Jellyneo has a detailed coverage of the new battledome beta and so far it looks awesome.