New plot: War of the Obelisk

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Re: New plot: War of the Obelisk

Post by Kamil »

I don't know if you get more points, Wings, but I do know your bar fills up much more quickly. If my quick read of the boards is right, it's 300 for hard, 400 for medium, and 500 for easy. Hah, Topher and I were posting at the same time.

I've swapped out Morwyn for Lassie, as Morwyn was lasting five or six rounds most fights, and I just want that bar filled up today. If I can fill it today I'll have managed everything on release day, so I'm determined to get there. But omg, yes, a 'fight again' button would be so amazing.

I'll go back and do more damage points over the weekend, assuming he's still around and all. Go thieves! =D
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

I almost kind of want to put one of my other pets into battle, since their stats are poop..but then again I kind of want 0 everything in their stats. I should probably stop trying to get any hits in too.

Annnd..the site went down for me.
Image Image
ImageImage
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Number of mouse clicks required to start a battle, select one set of weapons/ability, & lose, (assuming it takes 2 rounds on average): 17.
Number of battles required to fill bar at Mighty level: 300.
Total mouseclicks ~ 5,100. Has someone at TNT got shares in Logitech?

And now there's too much lag, and I've been battling for the entire duration of Tubular Bells 2 and half of the Orb's greatest hits album, so I'm going to bed. Only a third done, I need this to last another couple of days.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

You can do it with fewer clicks if you attack with just an ability or one weapon, but it's still more than 3000, I believe. This is just the dumbest possible format for a boss battle that I have ever seen. In a boss battle, you want every player actively trying to do as much damage as possible. When we do the annual Hydragellos battle over at Subeta, the system keeps track of total damage every single player does. It's perfectly possible for someone with a smaller pet who battles for hours to do more total damage than a lazier big battler, plus we have different prize tiers based on damage totals. Those things motivate people. With a system like this Neo one, where only the number of losses counts, they're just motivating people to try to get it all over with as soon as possible. Why are we big battlers going to waste hours and hours stretching our fights out many rounds when a one-round loss is worth just as much as a 10-round loss? Most people I know are just clicking one weapon or ability and dying as fast as they can until their 300 fights are up.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Done. I watched both The Muppets and Hotel Transylvania while clicking. And I couldn't even really mindlessly click since with slow page loads and all the screens I had to pay some sort of attention. I also think I might have contracted carpel tunnel.
I started out actually trying to do my part with my battle pet, who would last 3-5 round or so but after about 50 wins or so I said screw it. Used a spare pet and got the rest of the wins after dying from one hit much faster. I wonder if the boss for the Seekers will ever be defeated, I can't imagine too many strong battlers chose that team and the rest will likely do what I did. Also, if I see sleeping Bruce I'm going to throw something at it. Why couldn't all the bosses be badass like the flaming Krawk the Bruite Squad got.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I'm glad they were revived. I just finished getting my 300 in. I don't think I'll keep going, though. I'm using my strongest pet, with my best weapons and ablility, and he's still going down in one turn while only doing minimal (or no) damage to Envy. Half the time, all damage gets blocked. Sometimes I can get in 34 points, usually less, though (one battle was a whopping 2 damage points given). I can't imagine I'm helping much at all. When I'm not so sore, I might try again on easy and see how that goes.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

TNT posted this on the Neoboards:
Hey, folks. We're posting to apologise for the boss weirdness and explain what happened.

Our apologies to Brute Squad and Order members who tried to fight this morning and couldn't. (Please don't worry about the time you've missed. We've got you covered and it won't affect your standing!) And the explanation starts............................ now!

Without giving too much away, the bosses are indeed a group effort but there is a chance that really strong players (who fight for over 3 hours and 2000+ epic rounds! How awesome is that!?) can rack up a victory and "kill" it. We'll just say that these bosses aren't your normal Neopets, and in the case of one person taking them down in a blaze of glory, said bosses would resurrect to fight again until the group brings the HP to 0 overall.

As you know, that last part didn't happen like it should have, causing Wrath and Envy to stay "defeated" for an extended period this morning. They have now been resurrected properly (and the bug fixed) and you can continue fighting to bring them down to 0 HP as a group as intended. We've also changed around some abilities to even things out a bit, FYI.

To those wondering what this means as far as the final winner goes, we'll say that ALL fighting, from Wave 1 up through these... things, is counted for your faction. One person getting a victory against a boss helps (because it's pretty awesome). Defeating your boss first as a group helps more. But these are by no means the only things contributing! Everything is taken into account. Things are pretty close right now, so if you want to win, keep fighting.

Sorry again for the extended death sequence. And good luck to anyone else attempting a massive takedown!

- The Neopets Boss Wrangling Team
Debating sitting and clicking for losses... Doesn't sound like fun though.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Being defeated: now with a play again button! Yay!
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

I don't know if I wanna bother filling the bar. I've got both my achievements and I don't feel like clicking for hours.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Are you saying there's a "fight again" option now that I've already gotten my 300 losses? Figures. :P
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

..........repeat button......
I'm going to go cry in a corner. Cranberry, you can come join. I have comfort ice cream.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Cranberry wrote:Are you saying there's a "fight again" option now that I've already gotten my 300 losses? Figures. :P
Yup, I'm afraid so.

Though there were 2 times when for some reason my pet's HP bar didn't re-fill at the end of the fight, and in those cases I didn't have the option to fight again, of course.

But, yeah, it made things a lot easier. :-) I ended up going for my 300 defeats after all, while sitting and listening to The Piano Guys' album and waiting for a Subeautique restock that popped up 25 minutes after I thought it was supposed to and which only had one item I wanted, which sold out before I could grab it. Do I know how to have an exciting Friday evening or what?
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

auuuuuggghhhh I really hope they tracked who got 300 losses before the play again button and give some sort of bonus for that, but I'm sure they won't. I guess that's what people get for being eager. My eyes are going to fall out. </bitter>
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Madge

Post by Madge »

If it helps, I have been benefiting from the "play again" button and I still hate my life.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Oh Wings, I could kiss you. I didn't even realise it was there until I saw your post. Oh happy days, 100 to go.