Desert Diplomacy (plot/event/puzzle)

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Re: Desert Diplomacy (plot/event/puzzle)

Post by Cranberry »

It's not cheaty because they don't fill anything in for you (aside from the very first clue to show you how it works).

I caught up last night. At what time are new clues released?
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Cranberry wrote:It's not cheaty because they don't fill anything in for you (aside from the very first clue to show you how it works).

I caught up last night. At what time are new clues released?
They're there by 1 AM Neopia Time. They're probably there by midnight, but I never check until after 1 NST. Also, I think I may have solved it.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

Clues are released as soon as the day turns over, so midnight NST.
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

Aw, I'm disappointed that we only have to enter one random guild/time/method! I wanted to have to fill in the whole thing, haha.

...I guess that's all right because I still can't figure out the amulet and the telescope (neither of which I was asked about). I have everything else.
Kari

Post by Kari »

Augh haha I got asked about the telescope...one of the ones that I have the least amount of information about.
derp
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Kari wrote:Augh haha I got asked about the telescope...one of the ones that I have the least amount of information about.
If it helps, the Royal Telescope could only have been stolen either by the guild that used a disguise or by the one that climbed the palace walls. I kind of wish they'd have waited until at least tomorrow to start the guessing. I do hope there are more clues, though, because the Royal Telescope and Magical Blue Amulet are going to be a pain to guess.
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

There's really no guessing required. The grid can be solved/completed just by working off of the clues. You just have to go over the clues 4 or 5 times (or more). If you get stuck, try clearing the grid and starting fresh.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

There is definitely no guessing - I second that. If you're stuck, go back to the clues which involve things like "one hour after x" or "before y", because you can start eliminating things which were previously more uncertain (eg, if something was stolen after x, and x can't happen til 2am, then it must have been stolen at 3am or later). My grid was very sparse before tonight but is now completed with no guesses. Also, if an item was stolen at 4am, you can eliminate any guilds and stealing methods that have crosses for 4am, and so on.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I also have the whole grid and only got asked the pocket chess, which was dissapointing because I solved the whole grid first thinking I would have to fill them all in.

(I could have given the pocketchess answer sooner and would have gone back to solve all of the puzzle, because these puzzles are fun)
EofS

Post by EofS »

Definitely no guessing. In fact, at one point we screenshotted and made a guess (on one of the either/or clues) and managed to work out the whole grid. Then went back to our original grid, found a new way into it, solved the whole thing (and checked it against all clues) and it did NOT tally with our guessed version.
gomababe2

Post by gomababe2 »

Blargh, even after re-reading the clues mentioning which guilds did things before or after certain events, it doesn't help me out much. I've never been too good at this sort of thing because my brain just does not work in a logical manner and I can't work out those kinds of clues :(. I'll try giving it a few more shots tonight but if I can't make the links then I'll have to give up because I have *never* been able to work out clues stating things like, "The guild that used the sewers committed the theft sometime after the Royal Telescope was stolen."

Ah well, good luck to everyone else :).
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Gomababe, the way to read a clue like that means you know things have to be able to happen before or after a certain event/item stolen.
So to use the example provided:

The guild that used the sewers committed the theft sometime after the Royal Telescope was stolen

without any other information available this clue stil tells you three important things:
the guild that used the sewers did not steal the royal telescope so on the intersection of telescope and sewers the grid gets a cross.
The guild that used the sewers were not the first guild to steal something, at least 1 guild (the one associated with the telescope) came before them. So sewers get a cross at midnight.
You also know that the guild that stole the royal telescope was not the last guild to steal something, so royal telescope gets a cross at 5 am.

So the moment you link one of the two (telescope or sewers) to a time in your grid, the other might get a few crosses as well. Say you found out the time the royal telescope gets stolen, that means the sewers gets a cross at that time (because it isn't available for them anymore) and a cross at every time before that, because the telescope was stolen first and the sewers always used later.

hope that helps a bit.
gomababe2

Post by gomababe2 »

Thanks a lot Marah, that does help a bit. For some reason I can never get the logic parts after the initial part of the clue right in my head, but the way you've shown how to work out the other parts makes it make a lot more sense (my grammar very good is :p). I'll try to apply that to the other clues and hopefully get the right answers for the part I was given (why wasn't I given the menuscript? I had that worked out pretty early on :().
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

I'm second-guessing myself now! Everything on my chart worked with all of the clues until that last clue. Now I'm wondering where I messed up and I can't figure it out. If anyone who has the full chart filled out wants to compare, I'll send you a screenshot of mine (almost full) and you can let me know where we differ. (I've already answered, so it doesn't matter at this point; it's just bothering me.)
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Cranberry wrote:I'm second-guessing myself now! Everything on my chart worked with all of the clues until that last clue. Now I'm wondering where I messed up and I can't figure it out. If anyone who has the full chart filled out wants to compare, I'll send you a screenshot of mine (almost full) and you can let me know where we differ. (I've already answered, so it doesn't matter at this point; it's just bothering me.)
Mine's full. I can also send you what I worked out in a pm if you want.