Bacon

Possible New Neopet

Post by Bacon »

Saw this over at Jellyneo. Thoughts?

ImageImageImageImage
Madge

Re: Possible New Neopet

Post by Madge »

Aww, it's cute. But holy bejesus, how are they going to give it all the clothes?
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Hmm I actually don't like it. It doesn't look like a Neopet at all to me, maybe something from that Petpet Park game or whatever. He looks like a mismatch of parts you would get from like a creature creator where you can swap limps and heads on the fly and not actually a cohesively drawn pet.

I wonder if it would be backwards compatible with the clothes. I don't think we've gotten a new species since customization was released. Maybe it will be like baby pets and have only specific clothes it can wear made specially for them.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Looks more like a Subeta design than a Neopet (well, Subeta when I used to play it about 5 years ago - I dare say they've moved on quite a lot style-wise over that time). ETA: It looks similar in style to the kind of pets featured in the '50 new pets' April Fools gag from way-back-when, i.e. an unpolished prototype idea for a pet.

The poor thing has got the head of an owl, the ears of a chewed bear, the body & feet of an unchewed bear, and part of a flamenco dress protruding from its bottom.
Last edited by Kantark on 06 Nov 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Seerow wrote: He looks like a mismatch of parts you would get from like a creature creator where you can swap limps and heads on the fly and not actually a cohesively drawn pet.
That's the theory -- that he is just made up of different existing parts so that existing clothing will fit on him. People are thinking acara, elephante, and one other pet (bruce, maybe?).
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

I actually like it just fine, but the style bothers me. I'm almost positive it's the eyes - no current Neopets have pupils that big (more attention is on the irises on big-eyed pets), nor do they have two highlights (and if they do, the second one is very tiny). Also, the way the legs connect with the body is really bugging me.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

I wonder how/where they found it. I like it. I hope it'll fill in that missing "v" spot, though I also hope they may add a second new one eventually. I'd love to have it all even at the Rainbow Pool.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Runic

Post by Runic »

Kantark wrote:Looks more like a Subeta design than a Neopet (well, Subeta when I used to play it about 5 years ago - I dare say they've moved on quite a lot style-wise over that time).
No, no, you've got a good point. The eyes do remind me of some of our Subeta pets. In fact, it reminds me of the Chai specifically:
Image Image

Really strange how similar they're looking side-by-side....at least to me. I mean, this new Neopet does resemble an owl-panda bear hybrid, or something.

I dunno. I kinda want to wait and see what the rest of the artwork will look like for the species, like fun images or shopkeepers; hell, even the pet day banner.
In its current state, I think it's okay...but I'm not really interested.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Runic wrote:
Kantark wrote:Looks more like a Subeta design than a Neopet (well, Subeta when I used to play it about 5 years ago - I dare say they've moved on quite a lot style-wise over that time).
No, no, you've got a good point. The eyes do remind me of some of our Subeta pets. In fact, it reminds me of the Chai specifically:
Image Image

Really strange how similar they're looking side-by-side....at least to me. I mean, this new Neopet does resemble an owl-panda bear hybrid, or something.

I dunno. I kinda want to wait and see what the rest of the artwork will look like for the species, like fun images or shopkeepers; hell, even the pet day banner.
In its current state, I think it's okay...but I'm not really interested.
I'm not sure. Here's a comparison using those, the one codybear fake pet and the elephante for comparisons:
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Nogitsune on 22 Nov 2014 07:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I don't think the chai similarity is too crazy. When you're making a cartoon teddy panda bear, it's going to have features like eye markings, cheek tufts, and a big forehead. I do agree that they eye style is much more (old) Subeta than Neopets though, it's freaking me out a little.

I did a little curiosity monkeying in Photoshop and couldn't find exact matches for features upon overlaying art. The eyes are different than every current pet. For arms there are some close matches, but none exact. I suspect the way they draw the art is designed to be warped for different bodies, so I'm guessing it'll only need a little extra tugging to go from say, Bruce arms to V-bear arms.

I'm completely unenthused, but then again, it's using the base body style I find least appealing out of the new Neopets. Fist-of-doom ruins everything for me. :P
Runic

Post by Runic »

Now that I've gotten a good night's rest, I think I really dislike the feet the most regarding this new pet. I see the face and recognize it's an owl, but then I notice the feet and it just ruins my expectations. But, like I said, I'll hold judgment til more artwork crops up.

In any case, according to the news on Neo, they have a "super special surprise" at the end of the week. 3 guesses as to what it is. ;P
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

And it's official! Meet the Vandagyre!

Pics already posted.

I'll probably never be interested in it personally, though. And that mono-claw thumb it has going on in its left fist kinda bugs me.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

From the editorial:
So, about the Vandagyre. We've noticed it can't be customized with older wearables. I know it would be a nightmare to adapt all previous Neocash items for it, but could you ask the artist to draw all the Neopoint wearables for them? ~petpetsitter12321
There are well over a thousand Neopoint non-species-specific wearables. We can't make them all work for the Vandagyre because we simply don't have the resources. However, going forward, new wearables will include the Vandagyre as an option.
Huh, I guess that is reasonable, but what a pain! Sounds like some bad inconsistency.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

thelonetiel wrote:From the editorial:
So, about the Vandagyre. We've noticed it can't be customized with older wearables. I know it would be a nightmare to adapt all previous Neocash items for it, but could you ask the artist to draw all the Neopoint wearables for them? ~petpetsitter12321
There are well over a thousand Neopoint non-species-specific wearables. We can't make them all work for the Vandagyre because we simply don't have the resources. However, going forward, new wearables will include the Vandagyre as an option.
Huh, I guess that is reasonable, but what a pain! Sounds like some bad inconsistency.
Well, for a new pet that's just come down from the mountains, it's really not. If this were a real world every bit of clothing would have to be specifically designed for the body type of each species - it would be nearly impossible to mass manufacture anything! They would literally have to measure all aspects of a vandagyre's upper and lower torso for shirts and pants - even to making specialized pants that take into account their tail feathers!

Hopefully some of the more generic-type items can (eventually) be accommodated but if they were to focus on older items they'd likely not be able to do newer ones.
Faun

Post by Faun »

I really do not like it. It's body reminds me of something from petpet park. It just does not look like it fits in at all. I am glad for a new pet though. Hopefully we'll get more in the future.
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter