New neopets layout

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

gidget wrote:
For those wanting to see the updated Darigan Blumaroo, I found that one. I now want to cry. If I'd known this was coming, I'd have stuck with the Halloween paint job my Blumie had.
I had four or five Blumaroos (Halloween, Plushie, Maraquan, Faerie.) The post suits most Blumaroos...but not Darigan, nor Halloween.
Fish

Post by Fish »

My Krawks make me want to cry. They're not BAD, per se. If you look at them as someone who hasn't owned a Krawk, or never cared for the image, or doesn't have a personality for their Krawk, it's actually okay. But Thunder and Spencer are bad-ass. These Krawks are not bad-ass.

Anyone have Shroomy's LJ? I'd like to read it up.
<B>highly</b>FLAMMABLE<I>animal</i>
<a href="http://subeta.org/userinfo.php?user=158800">See: Feezl</a>
sterlinglyons

Post by sterlinglyons »

Well, after adjusting (somewhat) the initial shock, I've found that many of my pets look less horrid when the image is large (i.e. the Pet Lookup page) as compared to the small pose (on the User Lookup page). Some of my pets, which I didn't have the option of maintaining, are quite damaged: Witchdoctor and Stylishly both look terrible. Also, Grey Pets look horrible in custom-mode. Transversely, Neogyptian looks better. Overall, though, I'm disgusted by changes which forfeit redraws and mood/battledome poses). I sent this question to both to the suggestions section and the editorial questions. I really believe it would be the best solution.

"Instead of abandoning all of the great art and various pet poses (i.e. mood and Battledome poses) to which we've grown accustomed, would it be possible to just ad an "Avatar Pose" to the other poses? The Avatar Pose could basically be the pose used for the Customise Your Neopet feature. In this way, each species, regardless of paint colour, would have the same pose for customisation. Basically, this Avatar Pose could replace the Circle Pose, or there could be the choice to either select the Avatar Pose or the Circle Pose for your Pet Lookup. I think this would be a great way of maintaining the great art already on the site and the variety of poses (the main reason I, and many others, play Neopets) while incorporating the customisation feature. In a nutshell: The Avatar pose would give uniformity for customisation, yet allow the other poses to remain so that we don't lose all of the great redraws. Is this something TNT would consider?"

To me, that is just common sense and should have been the decision made in the various meetings that TNT referenced in this week's editorial. What do you think?

Also, I think my Robot Cybunny is missing the Robot Casing by default, as
(a) It looks like the other Robots without their casing and (b) there is no Casing to either remove or put on in the customization area. Does anyone know about this?
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I think from the editorial it's clear that TNT doesn't actually CARE how upset people are. :-(

I sent a similar comment to Cranberry's to the Editorial and also asked that the system be changed so newly-painted pets in the "keepable" colors also get the option to keep the old art.

I may have to seriously think whether I want to keep playing Neopets after this, and if not, 1) whether I want to finish my Neohome before I quit and 2) what Internet addiction I could come up with to replace it with. I think I get a raise starting in July and it won't all be eaten up by the apartment's new stupid requirement to buy a cable TV package. Maybe I can swing for World of Warcrack.
Last edited by Wingsrising on 28 Apr 2007 04:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

LΟL
shadowgem
Human Avatar: 71636

Post by shadowgem »

I find it humorous that they basically answered the SAME question over and over in the editorial. They didn't address a LOT of things that I'm SURE people suggested. And I'd like to see some of this "positive" feedback they claim to be getting. I wish we could send them this thread, so they can see how some of their long-time loyal (formerly PAYING) users feel.

The ONLY thing that will stop me from freezing my main account is that my beautiful Faerie Peophin is "grandfathered" and I can always have her looking the old way, unless they decided to reneg on that too. -_-

I've always wanted just one pet, and this will slowly prompt me to do it. I think I'll be abandoning most of my pets, and keeping my lovely little faerie, and one other pet to act as Boochi-guard. I'll log in like once a week to check my Guild, and that's it. I've spent almost 7 years on Neo, on various accounts. I've adjusted to change and rolled with the punches. THIS is too much to swallow.
neopets (still full of fail) ~:~ subeta
Avatar drawn for me by Subeta user SHOZZYKiNS
Daphie

Post by Daphie »

Also, I think my Robot Cybunny is missing the Robot Casing by default, as
(a) It looks like the other Robots without their casing and (b) there is no Casing to either remove or put on in the customization area. Does anyone know about this?
Same with mine... I don't get what's wrong with it.

I think the new pets suck. I think neopets doesn't care that old users are leaving, because when new users join, they wouldn't know about the old art, or the old layout so they wouldn't care about it/actually like it, and eventually the people who hate the new pets will be replaced with the newbies who haven't seen anything else, and will probably like it.
DAPHIE&
f l i r t a t i o u s &hearts;
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

ACHTUNG

If there are specific ones we missed that are EXTREMELY different from how they used to look and you really think they should have the option, let us know and we'll see what we can do.
People who are unsatisfied with the look of their REDRAWN Neopets.

Go to the editorial NOW.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Really, I'm not sure there's anything all that bad about the layout. Separating the layout entirely from the pets, it has several notable advantages:
- pages have doctypes for the first time, so pages shouldn't be in quirks mode with the awful box model in ie6
- the sidebar revamps have been for the better in the case of some of them
- the new lookups really are a lot better to customise than the old ones: everything has an id or class to fiddle with. I'm resisting doing too much because it's likely they'll change again, but it's an improvement.
- the ads are all blockable, even in IE
- things are located in pretty much the same places as before (notable exception being userlookups- userlookup.phtml vs randomfriend.phtml) so if you're lost, they're accessible directly

and disadvantages:
- it's too wide for lower resolutions
- because all pages centre, absolute-positioning on userlookups is a minor nightmare to deal with; you can't specify a "left" because it changes on different resolutions.
shadowgem
Human Avatar: 71636

Post by shadowgem »

Daphie wrote:I think the new pets suck. I think neopets doesn't care that old users are leaving, because when new users join, they wouldn't know about the old art, or the old layout so they wouldn't care about it/actually like it, and eventually the people who hate the new pets will be replaced with the newbies who haven't seen anything else, and will probably like it.
Exactly, which is why they're a company I don't want to devote my online time to anymore, and a company I'm embarrassed to have given money to. They don't give a flying fuck who leaves, as long as their pageviews satisfy Viacom. It's sickening.
neopets (still full of fail) ~:~ subeta
Avatar drawn for me by Subeta user SHOZZYKiNS
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

They are asking for constructive critisicm but honestly there' so much wrong with so many pets I wouldn't know where to start and any list I'd start to make wouldn't fit into their submission forms. So what's left but to sum it up with IT ALL SUCKS?
LΟL
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

I had to break my comments to the editorial into two submissions, since the first one was too long.

I told them that I like the layout, but that I can't stand my pets anymore. And that I care as much about my "basic" pets as the "special" ones. I want my cloud chomby back. That was one of my favorite colours on the entire site, and now it's bright blue and bubbly, like the rest of their art.

Everyone who's quitting--please send something to the editorial before you leave. I don't have any real hopes of anything changing back (it seems like a move that's set in stone now, and the editorial makes them sound determined to forge ahead and crush unhappy users in their path), but I'd at least like them to know how many people they're losing.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

dandelions wrote:and disadvantages:
- it's too wide for lower resolutions
- because all pages centre, absolute-positioning on userlookups is a minor nightmare to deal with; you can't specify a "left" because it changes on different resolutions.
You forgot to mention "Hard as hell to load for EVERYBODY". Dx
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Anyone who actually knows something about CSS:

Is there a way I can use my CSS style file that blocks the ads to block JUST the Neofriends module and not the active pet module? I know I can block both but if I block the active pet module there's no fast way to get to my quickref.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I also still want to know how to remove the top half of the topbar (the adspace) in Firefox. Before the change, I'd successfully done so, but whatever I did back then doesn't seem to work now -- I have no ads, but I still have the blank space at the top of my screen.