Editorial Time!

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Madge

Re: Editorial Time!

Post by Madge »

The underwater fishing item only does limited edition species, STRANGELY ENOUGH.

Oh wait, that's not strange at all. Never mind.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

Seerow, I'm pretty sure the item you're talking about changes a pet into a random LE pet. Not draik/krawk, but like will turn a pirate lupe into a pirate cybunny, or hissi, or poogle, etc. If the species doesn't come in that color, it turns basic. So, it kinda does that, but is rather limiting!

I laughed aloud at the Old Spice Man reference, though I'm a little concerned they'll become overdone soon, if they are popping up on Neo and Subeta...

Edit: Madge said it first but I gave detail so nyah. :P
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Hey, TNT! *throws Mutant Moehog Plushies* In your last Editorial, you said that if any Moehog items were offered, DJ Skellington would tell us how to wear black. In the event that this gets in and DJ sees this question, would you have him tell me how Peophins can wear black? Thanks! ~josefina1843
*puts on sunglasses*

WITH STYLE.

YYEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH
I LOLED. SO HARD.

Also this, from week 469~:
Hey, TNT! *tosses Jazan plushie* My friend and I were having a bit of a disagreement as to whether he's wearing guyliner or is cursed. I say it's guyliner, but my best friend said it's the curse. We are both aware of the Lost Desert Plot. WE NEED TO KNOW!!! So, is it A.) Guyliner or B.) Curse? ~angel_star7
It's cursed guyliner. D:
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Happy New Year, Neopia! I have a question: how exactly did you choose the Neopets that would be auto-converted? I like to think that you lost half of the original art files for the royal and Halloween Neopets, etc. Others like to say that you drew names from a hat. Then there are those who say that it's because they fit in the customization window. Please solve our debate of almost three years. How did you decide? Thank you for 11 years! ~lilangel

We went through each unique Neopet and determined how big a change we were making to it. If we felt the change was really extreme, we allowed it to have the option of remaining unconverted. Of course, we're sure some of you may disagree with some of our choices, and to be sure there were a lot of tough calls, but it was something we had to do. We were actually planning to eventually convert all of them after people'd had time to adjust, but--stop panicking, guys! For now, after seeing the efforts you guys have gone through to procure unconverted Neopets, we are not planning on doing that anymore.
Wow. Can you even imagine the uproar there would have been if they'd converted all our UC Neopets at some point?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I wish they'd just left all older pets UC, still, but by now I'm used to having quit the site I loved for so long.

It is interesting that they were thinking about making it even worse, though. Wow.
Image Image
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

I'm just.. wow. I can't believe they thought that would be a good idea o.o Thank god they didn't do that.
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

They are full of it. They left pets like the Maraquan Grarrl UC (which is so similar as to be unnoticeable from it's converted version) but converted faerie poogles? And don't get me started on UC Royalgirl Acaras being converted and RBs staying UC, how silly.

That whole question and answer really riled me up to be honest. Glad they aren't thinking about converting our pets anymore.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

For now... ...we are not planning on doing that anymore.
Never say never, eh?
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Exactly. The "For now" part doesn't make me think they've decided to leave it at that.

What with Battledome and Lab Ray event poses still being the old ones, i still fail to see why they left a select few unconverted and the rest converted. I was one of the lucky ones. Aside from the Desert Ixi and Royalboy Uni (that one thankfully saved via the shopkeeper), mine all went through relatively unscathed. I even like the converted Darigan Peophin better - a choice between keeping the lovely mane or getting rid of the crooked leg, long ears, and spaghetti tail.

I've essentially left Subeta over the same offense. The art might be "better" and might be more uniform in style (even though there's no clothing/trinkets/etc. to make them totally so), but they're not the same pets i joined the site for and worked toward.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

*points up* What Fjorab said. Albeit with different pets, but I've basically become used to the sites I play making arbitrary and totally out of the blue decisions to utterly destroy the art of the pets I love. If it's not Neo deciding to nuke the royal Krawks while leaving grey Pteris (!!!) the choice to remain unconverted it's logging into Subeta and seeing my beloved reborn Kumos, one of my primary reasons for joining the site, turned into a pet I wouldn't own if you paid me. Never mind what happened to my hydrus Hikei.

So yeah. I realized when I read the editorial and only had a momentary "well, fuck me" moment, before I shrugged, and went back to what I was doing that apparently I am becoming accustomed to being screwed over by the very places I go to for carefree fun and relaxation.

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with that. -.-
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I just don't understand why, if it was such a tough call and also possibly temporarily, they didn't decide to leave colours unconverted. All faerie pets, royals etc. There are some pets in those colours that are hardly any different, but I still think it would have made more sense and would have been more fair to their players.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Don't get me started on the faerie poogle. POOGYWOOGYWOO has a hard enough life as it is, what with a name like that; it would have been nice if she wasn't DESTROYED.

I will admit the whole wearables thing has given Neopets something cool - making all my pets look pretty *IS* fun - but every time the subject comes up I still wonder why they didn't do what I'd always assumed they were planning, and make the clothing pose an extra "bonus" pose. The emotions still SUCK, and new species/colours show up as red Xs some places.

[/circlejerking]
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I think they simply didn't realise how big a deal it would actually be.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

ZomgethMew wrote:I'm just.. wow. I can't believe they thought that would be a good idea o.o
I never really believed that they thought ANY mandatory conversion was a good idea.

Until the NC Mall came out. I remember my mother, who's never played Neopets, was at the hospital recovering from surgery at the time. I mentioned to her that about the new system, and how for most pets conversion was mandatory, and how now you could buy clothes for the pets with real money. "Ah, *that's* why they didn't give you the option to keep the old pets." she said (well, not those exact words, but you get the idea).

And of course I think she's right. Don't get me wrong, I've bought some stuff from the Mall myself, but I've no doubt the reason they auto-converted most pets is that they wanted as few people as possible to have the option of having a pet that the couldn't buy clothes for with real money if they wanted. Silly, because some converted pets (like Maraquan and Baby) still can't wear most clothes, but there it is.

I've lost interest in Neopets for a variety of reasons, but that was certainly the first step. Actually, the new Neohomes were a bigger deal for me. My Neohome was the last remaining thing I was really into on the site. At least I didn't lose the old Neohome, but with no more new furniture for old Neohomes, no more possibility of competing for the spotlight, and with new Neohomes being buggy and slow to run on my laptop, what's the point?
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Wingsrising, your mother could well have hit the nail on the head, but, in hindsight, the decision to autoconvert so much was probably unnecessary - TNT have since created plenty of NC backgrounds and knick-knacks that can be used with unconverted pets (ironically including the old 'Circle pose' background). Maybe they'd planned to release a NC 'revert' item, but decided against it later (possibly worried it might seem to some that our pets had been held hostage?) - I could easily see them shifting hundreds of those though I think they've since ruled it out. Or maybe there were some legal issues with the artwork.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark