Editorial Time!

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Re: Editorial Time!

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Yeah, i'd use mine to fix some capitalization, along the vein of "i shouldn't have done it that way." Though i might also jump on another name or two.

I'm looking forward to some stuff in the next year or two if they plan to go through with these. :)
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

This week's editorial is entertaining. Featuring Jazan and Hanso. Enjoy!
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I enjoyed this week's editorial, particularly the last question: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.pht ... &issue=603

Talking about other games on a game site initially confused me, so I'm amused by the handling.
Bif

Post by Bif »

Did anyone else have a brain explosion over the fish negg question/comment? I have been looking at it the same way (buck tooth and all) and assumed that's what everyone saw.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

For years I saw the fish negg that way, I don't think it helps that all the other neggs with faces are orientated the 'buck tooth' way, so the first time you see the fish negg that's kinda what you're looking for. And it doesn't really look that much like a fish when viewed the 'proper' way either!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

It took me years too; I'm not sure when I realized it, but at some point I had an epiphany, apparently. xD
Silver Link

Post by Silver Link »

Hi, TNT! First, I want to emphasize how much I love this site and will continue to support this site for years to come! Extremely sensitive and uncomfortable topic ahead: I have a very serious concern when it comes to the grandfathering in of potentially offensive usernames or 'pets: I recently came across the username [username removed]. The account is very old, so I imagine I can't be the first person who's noticed or said something. It's not even potentially offensive; if there's some vague line about what goes too far, I'm pretty sure it crossed it and then some. Maybe not everyone would understand why it's offensive due to a generation gap, but anyone who knows or is somehow even related to the victims of those horrible events would have to be horribly disturbed. Please remove my username and know that I struggled for a long time before deciding to "Send it to the Editor!" but some things need to be said. ~username removed
When deciding on what to do with borderline bad account names, we always give thought to context (especially when it's found on a very old account like that one). There's plenty of words out there that can mean a lot of different things. For example, if someone had the name "Potter" in their username, it could mean that they enjoy gardening, are fans of Harry Potter, or something that is not appropriate for the site. If someone reports it, then we'd look at the account, try to figure out the intent of the username, then make our best judgement from there. We even keep time-frame in mind. Recently a name appeared negatively in the news, and a player whose username was similar to it was reported. However, the account was many years old, and created in a time when that name was not associated with unfortunate events. If this happens to a player and they're suddenly uncomfortable with their username, they're more than welcome to contact us and we will help move them into a new account. (Please note that we cannot "age" an account for any reason.) When we do this, it's a very time-consuming manual process, so please understand that this is only for players with very unique situations such as the one above and is resulting in harassment. It is not for players who have remorse over naming their account after their favourite band / anime when they were 12. Sorry, Inuyasha_spice_gurls_4eva.

Does anyone know what incident they're referring to?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I have no idea, but I hope it was "twerking." That is a very unfortunate event.
Image Image
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

the Editorial wrote:For example, if someone had the name "Potter" in their username, it could mean that they enjoy gardening, are fans of Harry Potter, or something that is not appropriate for the site.
Making clay into ornaments?
Playing snooker?

Fine then, I'll display my Steve Davis commemorative vase gallery elsewhere...
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

The Editorial is back! Yay!
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

That's good news, I bet the NT Writers' Forum is happy!
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

The editorial could use an editor. The grammar and punctuation are questionable lately. :|
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

So I heard recently that the color-changing random events (such as Boochi) aren't happening. Is this temporary, or is it going to stay this way? I want to know if I'm safe to have my Faerie Cybunny as my active pet, or if I should keep my 'Boochi-shield' foster pet as my active, in case the events return without warning. Thanks! ~ dreamer_lily
Rest easy, your faerie Cybunny is perfectly safe! Color-changing random events are officially retired, and they will not be coming back without warning (they probably won't be coming back ever, but if they ever did, you'd definitely be warned!). You are now free to show off your favourite pet colour with pride!
Interesting, I wonder why they made that choice - user feedback?
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

I'm too cynical, I'm reading that as 'the code broke and we can't [be bothered to] fix it'. Also note the half-American half-British spellings in the reply. I suppose these things shouldn't bother me, but still they do.
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

The color changing REs disappeared when the whole Coincidence event happened and the REs got revamped, which I'm pretty sure happened before Jumpstart took over/moved over to their servers.