Stock Market

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Fury

Stock Market

Post by Fury »

I thought a topic dedicated to the Stock Market was in order, mainly because I don't want to clog up the Achievements/Woes thread and because the Stock Market is awesome.

Please feel free to use this topic to share your achievements, woes, portfolios, tips and whatever else you feel appropriate.

I just sold 6k of LDSC which is currently at 70, making a neat little 420k. Heads up to anyone else with shares in this 'company'. (Pfft, listen to me talking as if it's real!) Other high stocks in my portfolio include: BB at 59, CHIA at 60 and TNPT at 56.

Good luck everyone and if you're interested in getting involved in stocks, feel free to ask any questions! :D
Kantark

Re: Stock Market

Post by Kantark »

Good idea :-)

Stocks are Good! Buy 1000 every day, if you can - pick a stock that's at 15 (I'll also stretch to 16 or occasionally 17 if nothing's at 15). And don't expect a quick return on your investment - patience is a virtue! Sometimes a stock will sit at less than 10 for months. Just remember the value of stocks may go up as well as down, and there are no cars in Neopia (except for Nigel's) :-P

I still have a few left of MYNC, currently at 196. I didn't sell earlier because I'm trying to get my portfolio to a particular size. I set my sell point to a (seemingly) unrealistic 200 since I'm not far off my target now, and MYNC is nearly there. Crazy!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I love stocks; it's how I make all my money.

When I was first starting out, I had a sell point of 60, but I've moved it up to 70 now and may go to 75 or 80 soon, just so I won't kick myself quite so hard when something I just sold all but 1 share of goes to 100 or higher. MYNC, I'm looking at you. x.x

But, yes, what Kantark said. Buy 1000 of whatever you have least of that's at 15. It'll probably take 6 months or so before it sustains itself, but once it does you just sit back and wait for money. Not a bad way to get your cash. =D
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I sell at 100 because I don't need the money that badly. If you don't need neopoints for anything in particular, I'd definitely advocate a higher sell point, Kamil. I've stopped caring when a stock hits 60 nowadays :P.

A couple of good things I use for the stockmarket:

Greasemonkey Script - probably linked somewhere from http://userscripts.org/users/22349 - the userscript site is down at the moment, fancy that. I'll rustle it up later when it's back up.
The script is good because it adds something to the left column with a list of stocks as your buy price, and links to buy those stocks. It also displays any stocks that are at or above your sell price.

Neodaq's Portfolio Manager - http://www.neodaq.info/tools/portfolio/ - you can import your portfolio into it easily, and it gives you helpful summaries. Particularly useful if you use it early on as it can tell you your overall profit and such.

Here's what the porfolio manager spits out for me:

Portfolio Size: 851,504 Shares
Companies Owned: 40
Average Shares per Company: 21,287.6 shares
Total Value: 15,351,095 NP
Total Investments: 12,814,560 NP
Total Profits: 7,160,000 NP
Total Cashflow: -5,654,560 NP
April Profits: 0 NP
April Cashflow: -390,000 NP
April Growth: 26,000 Shares
2010 Profits: 5,699,000 NP
2010 Cashflow: 5,191,000 NP
2010 Growth: 34,000 Shares

The "total cashflow" (ie profit/loss) is misleading because I only started keeping track on this site in August 2009. However, total Profits works alright.

Definitions of terms:
Profits - Profit during this period (Gross Sales - Investment Sold) [i.e. profit I made on a particular sale]
Cashflow - Net cashflow this period (Gross Sales - Investment Bought) [i.e. profit I made during a particular month]

You can also configure it to email you when stocks go over your sell point, which I love - though I still keep an eye on it myself.

My month-by-month "cashflow" (profit) is as such:
Sep -436,000
Oct -465,000
Nov -435,000
Dec 1,296,000
Jan 2,130,000
Feb -390,000
Mar 3,871,000
Apr -390,000

As you can see, it's about 100k per week I spend on the place, offset by niiiice returns. You'd get returns more often if you sold at 60, but I'm still easily making a profit selling at 100.

[/way too many numbers]
Kari

Post by Kari »

This topic made me check out my portfolio on a whim...and I find that MYNC has skyrocketed to 201 a share. Shame I only have 1k, but 201k isn't anything to sneeze at.
derp
Fury

Post by Fury »

Congratulations Kari! Unbelievably, I sold my shares of MYNC when it was around 75. Bah.

Nigel the Chia charges 20 NP as commission.

Summary : You had 85139 NP. After 5 successful transactions, you have 460119.
A heads up to anyone with shares of BB which is now at 75. I've held back 4k just in case.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

For newbies to the stock market, this is my favorite page!
http://www.neopets.com/stockmarket.phtm ... rgain=true

Lists the cheapest stocks in price order, making it easy to check for what's at 15. I generally double check with my portfolio to see what I have least of, if there's more than one, and then buy. (For reference, clicking the stock's name on your portfolio takes you to the buy page; clicking on the name on Bargain Stocks page leads you to the company info page, and then the title there leads you to the buy page. Yay for lazyness!)
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Hey, that's nifty :-) I never knew that page existed, and unless I'm being thick I can't see any links to it on the main stock market pages either.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
EofS

Post by EofS »

I've known of its existence for ages, but the lack of links to it mean I never, ever use it. Most peculiar.
Madge

Post by Madge »

The userscript I was trying to link to earlier: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/14675
This puts a link of all stocks at your buy price (configurable) and all the stocks at your sell price (also configurable) on the left hand side of the portfolio screen. It also tells you how many of each stock you have, meaning it's literally one click to buy your 1000 stocks every day. Really awesome!

You need to install greasemonkey but it's a damn good tool, allows you to customise all sorts of stuff on the internet.

Also I like this one: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/22049 removes all the crap on the side/bottom of the new features page and removes the scroll box, extending it to be as long as the text, so it looks more like the old-style news.
Fury

Post by Fury »

Summary : You had 728237 NP. After 11 successful transactions, you have 1553217.
EEEEE is at 75 for anyone who has any!
Fury

Post by Fury »

Nigel the Chia charges 20 NP as commission. He will be able to afford that new Ferrari soon!

Summary : You had 21635 NP. After 3 successful transactions, you have 285615.
UNIB is currently at 88, which is pretty high. You may want to check if you have any UNIB shares in your port. :D

Unfortunately, I only had 3k of it!
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I checked my portfolio and found two things over 300% and then UNIB at over 400%. At 3k shares of each, I just made 610k. e_e That's what I get for rarely remember to check my portfolio.

Thanks for the alert Fury, or I probably would've missed it!
Rah

Post by Rah »

I'm gutted at the UNIB, because I cashed in at 60, usually I'm a day late in collecting and it appears this time I was a day early! ARGH.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Just saying that the Stock Script is amazingly helpful Madge, thanks!