Who still plays? It's so different!

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Figment
Girl Anachronism

Who still plays? It's so different!

Post by Figment »

Sooo I am working on massive term papers and two internships and dealing with my fiance's mom's life-threatening tuberculosis (so nineteenth century) and my own family's drama and moving apartments in a month and trying to find a job and get my graduate school applications sorted out so obviously this month was a great time to peek and neopets again and be tempted into starting a new account. Also, hello. Long time. Hope you're all well.

I think it's because my fish died last week. Five months ago my cat passed away. For the first time in my life I am a person without a pet of any sort. So, obviously, neopets. So far, I don't see much that is likely to hold my long-dormant interest, but I barely exist online anymore anyway.

It's so weird!! Some things are so different, and yet so much of the same crappy art remains the same!! I've mostly been playing games -- I do love meerca chase and freaky factory -- for de-stressing and trying to save up for lab access because that was always my favourite part of the site. It feels a little bit like a ghost town over there ... it's half time capsule, half pathetic attempt at monetization. I love that neocolours still exists. How many of you still play? Is it worth it? What are your perspectives on the changes (or lack thereof) that neopets has gone through? I am shocked that there don't seem to have been any new pets added in the many years (6? 7?) since I've been on, though I guess now they have clothes, which are mysterious to me. (I'm confused about clothes: if you have a pet painted a color that comes with clothes, like royal, are the pieces removable!? I seem to have missed conversion in general, which is lucky; it's only faintly puzzling instead of heartwrenching after years of letting the emotional attachment slip away.) Is there a better place I can be wasting time online that isn't facebook related? Did I miss anything cool, plotwise? Do they even still do plots or add much new stuff? Fill me in!
Madge

Re: Who still plays? It's so different!

Post by Madge »

I still play, I'm doing all my dailies ever since the neggfest started but expect to probably stop doing my dailies at some point in the future!

If you want the ultimate in online time wasting, I use reddit - I actually used to run the /r/neopets subreddit and got it off the ground but then the megalomanical other mod demodded me and I decided not to complain about it because really, who gives a shit.

I also have gotten into playing mafia on the xkcd forums, which is really really fun!
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I also still play, just about. I mainly do dailies and every so often customise my pets (but I'm still averse to actually spending money!) As for time-wasting, my time-wasting these days happens on Steam, usually. I have far too many games and too little time to play them properly!

By the way, if you do want lab access, I've a spare I'm not using - PM me if you're interested :)
Figment
Girl Anachronism

Post by Figment »

It's tragic, of course, what customization did to the neopets art--I miss all of the different poses!--but I actually kind of enjoy it, at least in theory. I would never consider spending real money on the site even if I weren't well below the poverty level currently; I have a difficult enough time justifying purchases of games from steam or the app store, much less throwing real money away on mere pixels! But I am somewhat ridiculously entranced by the clothing and background items: I think it's the part of me that was crazy about paper dolls as a small child resurfacing.

Madge, I've spent some time on reddit before, but I can never reconcile myself to the up/down voting and the format; it's so disorganized and difficult to read. I am such a luddite anymore. Anything that requires effort on the internet doesn't seem worth my time. I also shun facebook, and twitter, and while I do have a tumblr that I've kept for about six years now, I find the dashboard too aggravating to wade through. In some ways, it's rather lovely how much on neopets is exactly the same: it's a nostalgia blast of the internet of yore.

Jazzy, I play with steam sometimes, but mostly only when I get a yen for history sims like civilization or crusader kings. Anymore, I do almost any gaming only on my ipad, which I bought for school and use primarily for playing ticket to ride or watching netflix in bed.
DamionDarkheart

Post by DamionDarkheart »

I guess I still play? I was positively hellbent on reclaiming my avatar collector avatar and now that I have it I can't really find a reason to keep up with the site overall. It's not like they actually make new avatars or anything. I caught a solid chunk of the last couple of things because of reddit. Thanks reddit!

I do my dailies occasionally -- our internet situation is... well, abject bullshit. I'll probably do some Altador Cup this year. We'll see.
"Blah blah blah into the pie, bitch." Image