Lost Desert thoughts

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Lost Desert thoughts

Post by Nogitsune »

I've had a couple of weird ideas when it comes to the Lost Desert, I was wondering if anyone here might have thoughts on them too. I sent these questions in to the Neopian Times (in slightly different form than they are here), but I don't expect them to be answered there.

1) Are Amira and Nabile queens? They ought to be, but I think Amira is still listed as a 'princess', which makes no sense. I'm really hoping the answer to Amira isn't "she can't be queen until she marries a prince" because she's already doing all the royal duties of a queen and Neopia has a severe shortage of princes. Also I don't like the idea that a female ruler needs a male to justify her rule or otherwise 'complete' it. I know that it's historically common, but I'd hope Nopia would avoid it.

2) Would folks like to see Qasala and Sakhmet placed separately on the map like Meridell and Brightvale?

3) Would anyone else like to see Khamtef, Princess Sankara, and King Heksas make a return?

4) Would anyone else want to know what Lost Desert was called before it was - er - lost? To be honest, I think simply putting Sakhmet and Qasala on the map would solve naming issues.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Madge

Re: Lost Desert thoughts

Post by Madge »

I think the "why are they princesses and not queens" will be handwaved the same way that the monarchs in My Little Pony are princesses rather than queens - it sounds nicer from the point of view of merchendise etc. In popular culture "queens" are evil and "princesses" are good and innocent, even though they're essentially both the same thing.

Plus I understand a principality is ruled by a prince or princess?

I know in Vampire: The Requiem the leader of a town is called a Prince, regardless of gender.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Madge wrote:I think the "why are they princesses and not queens" will be handwaved the same way that the monarchs in My Little Pony are princesses rather than queens - it sounds nicer from the point of view of merchendise etc. In popular culture "queens" are evil and "princesses" are good and innocent, even though they're essentially both the same thing.

Plus I understand a principality is ruled by a prince or princess?

I know in Vampire: The Requiem the leader of a town is called a Prince, regardless of gender.
I'd buy that except for Queen Fyora. Also it was King Coltzan and it's King Jazan, so they are either not in charge of principalities or have really lofty titles. Though, as far as that goes, Jazan's father titled himself Emperor.

Any thoughts on any of the other things?
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

I don't think the maps need to be separate personally, seeing as they're smaller cities within a larger location and are pretty similar to one another. Meridel and Brightvale are quite a bit different in their culture, are a fair distance away from each other, and are ruled over by two separate (even if they are brothers) kings, thus justifying them being separate lands.

And having the characters from Usurper return would be really interesting. I'd particularly like to see Sankara back - there aren't many characters that have offed a (non-antagonist) leader of a land before.

And... huh, I never though about the Lost Desert's name before. Maybe it's a "lost to the ages"-type thing?
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Color Wheel wrote:I don't think the maps need to be separate personally, seeing as they're smaller cities within a larger location and are pretty similar to one another. Meridel and Brightvale are quite a bit different in their culture, are a fair distance away from each other, and are ruled over by two separate (even if they are brothers) kings, thus justifying them being separate lands.

And having the characters from Usurper return would be really interesting. I'd particularly like to see Sankara back - there aren't many characters that have offed a (non-antagonist) leader of a land before.

And... huh, I never though about the Lost Desert's name before. Maybe it's a "lost to the ages"-type thing?
That may be so now, but initially Nabile and Tomos followed Jasan "far into the desert". Also Jazan has to ride to Sakhmet when his father attacks it. I don't think they're really as close as the map shows.

I did create a map with both of Sakhmet and Khamtef on it, just to see what it might look like. I also placed Darigan as its own separate land. I can share them (there are three) if anyone is interested. At the very least Khamtef will be a separate land, it took Princess Sankara about two weeks to reach Sakhmet.

*nods* It would be interesting to see if King Heksas is actually evil or if Princess Sankara was lying about it.

I suppose it could be, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Then again, some of the plots are a bit odd when thought out too much.