Layoffs at Neopets

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Re: Layoffs at Neopets

Post by Tom »

I love your translation, Daisy. I read the statement with a cocked eyebrow and a healthy dose of scepticism. There was a lot of spiel without substance. The situation is obviously pretty bad - and I guess an attempt to save face is the only way people are going to have the confidence to pump NC into the site - but it still struck me as insincere, and to be honest, not very respectful to the legacy the TNT we know had built up.
Subeta: Thomas
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Well, we have some new New Features, after a fashion.

Basically Mr. Lord's statement from yesterday, a plug for the Facebook game ('our FIRST-EVER mobile game[hmmm]... 40 exiting[sic] levels of gameplay await!'), a couple of food items, and an explanation as to why 'User Look Ups' are not working (Spoiler: they've been disabled to try to improve the lag.)

It's dated 10th & 11th March so I guess we won't see any news tomorrow. And sorry Nogitsune, no sign of Gelert Day :/
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Kantark wrote:Well, we have some new New Features, after a fashion.

Basically Mr. Lord's statement from yesterday, a plug for the Facebook game ('our FIRST-EVER mobile game[hmmm]... 40 exiting[sic] levels of gameplay await!'), a couple of food items, and an explanation as to why 'User Look Ups' are not working (Spoiler: they've been disabled to try to improve the lag.)

It's dated 10th & 11th March so I guess we won't see any news tomorrow. And sorry Nogitsune, no sign of Gelert Day :/
I don't actually have a Gelert, but I do feel bad for their owners.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Madge

Post by Madge »

My birthday is scorchio day so if they don't do something for that I will be sad.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

They did do Gelert day - they just tacked it on to the end of previous week's news.

No images of the new colours. No clothes or any other Gelert related items. No art gallery. They did manage some poems.
Neopets wishlists: here
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

In other news, all my stocks are now missing too...
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Jazzy wrote:In other news, all my stocks are now missing too...
Probably another FYI "Oh, we're stopping those to fix the lag". I've had a long running theory that CEOs don't have the slightest idea how things actually work at their company.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

That's odd, my stocks are still working. Loading of any page to do with the stock market is slow, painful and occasionally hangs or falls over completely, but when I do get it to load everything is still where it should be.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

They basically kept disappearing and reappearing throughout the day. At one point I had all of them, but with various values replaced with zero and no images.
Madge

Post by Madge »

OK now I'm beginning to panic a little bit more. I have, like, 20 million in stocks. =/
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Madge wrote:OK now I'm beginning to panic a little bit more. I have, like, 20 million in stocks. =/
Don't worry, I'm sure our beloved Dr. Frank Sloth er Mr. David Lord will be sure to post another reassuring FYI about how things will all get better in time.
Madge

Post by Madge »

It's kind of funny how there was a huge schism about customisation, but it looks like the thing that might kill this site for many of us who stuck with it is the age-old "death by a thousand cuts" as slowly, bit by bit, the soul of the site will be ripped out.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Madge wrote:It's kind of funny how there was a huge schism about customisation, but it looks like the thing that might kill this site for many of us who stuck with it is the age-old "death by a thousand cuts" as slowly, bit by bit, the soul of the site will be ripped out.
The thing I don't get is the laying off of the entire creative and content staff without having a replacement. I could see slowly fading out the old TNT staffers and replacing them with someone newer and cheaper, but all that mass layoff did was create a mass panic and a bunch of disgruntled and disillusioned users.
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

I missed the site, so I've been browsing the past few days.

I know it would be a huge undertaking and not likely because of all the NC items and what not that are made using it, but I think starting to phase out flash would be a good idea. It's becoming obsolete (though I know it'll be a while before it's totally gone) and I've basically got it disabled because with the sites I frequent, there are other options. If I were to start using the site again I'd have to have it on just for Neopets and I'd rather just get rid of flash altogether.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I wonder what would happen if they deprecated customisation? It would kill the NC mall income stream though.

And with flash dead, almost all the games would be similarly obsolete, right?