Layoffs at Neopets

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Iggy

Re: Layoffs at Neopets

Post by Iggy »

News were posted, with a whooping two new morphing potions being the news of the day

They probably have a couple items to release but close to no pets and things of substance.

This is going to suck, isn't it?
Runic

Post by Runic »

Clearly the news writer is a foreigner. Try reading each post outloud with an Indian accent.
And the all caps is REALLY annoying, and they're really abusing it. Clearly they don't realize putting a word in all caps means you're yelling at the reader.

Still no Gelerts. Probably no Scorchios. It's the end of pet days, guys.
Oh the irony of it all ending on the Gelert and the old fable behind its name.

TNT was the innocent dog framed for killing the site when it was truly the JS corporate wolves who did it.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

I'm not sure I agree about the news writer but you're spot on with regard to the pet days. And the caps - that style is definitely going to take me a bit of getting used to.

But a big thumbs up for your Welsh myth knowledge :-)
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Madge

Post by Madge »

Well, it looks like the lag is much improved right now. Anyone else notice that?
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

*sigh* I'm not sure what to think.

I do know that I'm skeptical of what the continuity of the site will be like now that SO MANY *CAPSLOCK!!* of the old staff have been laid off. I do wish them the best, and I hope to keep playing on the site with enjoyment and effort as I was. I just hope the "effort" now isn't the patience with the continued lag and trying to remain interested in a site I've enjoyed for over 14 years.

I'll wait and see, maybe poke around casually until it's behaving well consistently, but I'm not going to allow myself too much optimism. I don't want to be a downer, but I also don't want to be disappointed with hopes of them reviving what they've so badly damaged.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

The end of pet days as we knew them? Only content was new colours, and fail on the image size too. Or maybe they are unfinished so they don't want to show us higher resolutions?

I don't think whoever wrote today's news knows much about Neopets. ("Raising" Scorchios?) And I think they probably did a quick search to find anything vaguely Scorchio related that they could throw in there, like the kind of low-content high-frequency stuff some companies put out on their Facebook and Twitter feeds.
Neopets wishlists: here
Madge

Post by Madge »

Wow. That news is pathetic. My birthday is officially ruined!
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

Am I the only one holding out some optimism that if they bring in a new creative team, it'll have equally good and bad possibilities?

A totally new staff isn't going to be bound by the same rules - good and bad - that the old was adhering to. That means a fresh start with people thinking totally outside the box neopets was in for so long.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Scythemantis wrote:Am I the only one holding out some optimism that if they bring in a new creative team, it'll have equally good and bad possibilities?

A totally new staff isn't going to be bound by the same rules - good and bad - that the old was adhering to. That means a fresh start with people thinking totally outside the box neopets was in for so long.
I think I'm more holding out hope they will bring in a new creative team rather than keep content going until they run out of what the old team made and then not do anything else.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

I can understand being optimistic. As much as I'm sad for TNT that they were let go, a big part of me thinks that maybe it's for the best. I mean, the site has been languishing for years and it's been stuck in a huge rut of like, DD-Negg Event-AC-GMC-Advent Calendar and every 3 years or so some kind of plot. I know a lot of the blame went to the corporate overloads for not keeping things fresh and exciting and focusing too much on NC, but I'm starting to think that maybe TNT were a large part of the problem.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I'm just hoping we are going to get a creative team, like Nogitsune. But right now, it seems like they have already outsourced newsposts to India. This does not look good.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Well, it's been a few days now and the last couple of new features updates seem to have improved massively - to the extent I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the style of the most recent (Chomby Day) from an older one if it weren't for the (temporary?) lack of Chomby colours and clothing. They've even retained the British spellings.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

And yet, the Gelert day colors are still not added to the rainbow pool.

#neopetshatesgelerts
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Iggy wrote:And yet, the Gelert day colors are still not added to the rainbow pool.

#neopetshatesgelerts
I keep reminding them about that. I'm sure if enough of us annoyed them about it they'd change it.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Well, we got two new colors for belated Chomby Day. And we got six new fruits for Gadgadsbogen. It's definitely something, but it feels kinda lackluster. I hope they have more planned this week as they say.

(And the lag is back. I'm also having the minor annoyance that the Food Club refreshes if I go back a page, so picking all my bets individually all over again for each bet.)