Layoffs at Neopets

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Re: Gauging interest in Neopets talk

Post by Nogitsune »

Kantark wrote:I posted on Jazzy's other thread first (the title to that one kinda caught my attention), was surprised it hadn't got more posts, then found this is where it's all happening.

Nogitsune, good point, but how valuable is Neo's IP now? Does Neo still have much brand recognition in the States? Over here I'd guess it's somewhere close to approximately zilch, the only mention in mainstream media I've seen here in the past few years was that interview with Donna.
I don't really think they're after the IP as much as they're after the cute pets they can use in their games.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I know! That's what's so distressing! It's like, I feel like I personally *should* be able to exert a level of control over this site with these 20 pets that I've spent time and energy on, and then to be reminded of the stark reality - where you have no control of it whatsoever, unless you have a few million dollars lying around - is really sobering.

It's like, this thing that has been a part of my life since I was 12, I've known it longer than I've known any of my friends or sweeties, and it was always "there". The threat of it someday not being there is something I never really considered.

To me it's like if Hasbro bought Mattel and decided to stop producing Barbies, and on top of that, they somehow confiscate all the Barbies already in existence. It's like.... yeah, they can do it, but how could you??? Do you not respect my childhood???

I'm surprisingly emotional about this. It probably doesn't help I've had a crummy week!
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Madge wrote:I know! That's what's so distressing! It's like, I feel like I personally *should* be able to exert a level of control over this site with these 20 pets that I've spent time and energy on, and then to be reminded of the stark reality - where you have no control of it whatsoever, unless you have a few million dollars lying around - is really sobering.

It's like, this thing that has been a part of my life since I was 12, I've known it longer than I've known any of my friends or sweeties, and it was always "there". The threat of it someday not being there is something I never really considered.

To me it's like if Hasbro bought Mattel and decided to stop producing Barbies, and on top of that, they somehow confiscate all the Barbies already in existence. It's like.... yeah, they can do it, but how could you??? Do you not respect my childhood???

I'm surprisingly emotional about this. It probably doesn't help I've had a crummy week!
The weird thing is, I can't help but wonder what the site and related actually would sell for. It's a really unlikely idea, since I've literally no idea how to run a site and with all the old staff gone... yet...if it seems like they're simply going to pull the plug and simply do games with the pets in them... could we raise enough to make them sell it to us? And, more importantly, would we be able to bring it back to health?
Madge

Post by Madge »

I doubt it. In my extremely limited knowledge of these things (i.e. watching Dragon's Den/Shark Tank), it would be worth AT LEAST $100,000, MINIMUM. I think well over a million would be more realistic. But I think even getting enough people together to raise even a "paltry" $100,000 would be prohibitive, especially if Jumpstart really does want the characters, because then we'd have to licence the characters off them ($$$). Plus we'd need to hire people who actually know about the business. Etc.

It's a great little pipe dream but even businesses like Neopets that may or may not be flailing about are worth something. And the barrier to entry is huge. Like, basically, we'd need something along the lines of a Pebble Watch level kickstarter event to think about it.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Madge wrote:I doubt it. In my extremely limited knowledge of these things (i.e. watching Dragon's Den/Shark Tank), it would be worth AT LEAST $100,000, MINIMUM. I think well over a million would be more realistic. But I think even getting enough people together to raise even a "paltry" $100,000 would be prohibitive, especially if Jumpstart really does want the characters, because then we'd have to licence the characters off them ($$$). Plus we'd need to hire people who actually know about the business. Etc.

It's a great little pipe dream but even businesses like Neopets that may or may not be flailing about are worth something. And the barrier to entry is huge. Like, basically, we'd need something along the lines of a Pebble Watch level kickstarter event to think about it.
Yeah, I know. I just really don't want the site to go away. *sighs*
Runic

Post by Runic »

And if Neo dies...what could this mean for other pet sites?
The inevitable truth that all things will eventually meet an end?
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Runic wrote:And if Neo dies...what could this mean for other pet sites?
The inevitable truth that all things will eventually meet an end?
All things may come to an end eventually, but this really didn't need to happen.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Re: Layoffs at Neopets

Post by Nogitsune »

I just wish there were some message, if not about the layoffs (which they can't talk about by law) then at least what's going to be happening with the site. Is anyone here in contact with a former TNTer that could shed light on things?
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

There is an official message from the CEO of Jumpstart, no less:

http://www.neopets.com/neoboards/topic. ... =156927849

I'm not convinced. Here's my translation:
a recent restructuring of our resources
We got rid of the old staff to replace them with outsourced workers in Asia and/or existing Jumpstart employees who don't know anything about Neopets.
we plan to produce new content
Which will be limited to NC wearables, NC game tokens, games that need NC tokens to play, and Facebook/phone apps with in-game purchases. (How can they make anything of any substance without the old staff to provide continuity in the story and essence of Neopets - the nods to previous events, in jokes and so on? Won't it all be just pretty pictures with no substance?)
As we move forward and establish new goals for Neopets
New goals? Don't the old goals (fix all the stuff that broke in the last year) need achieving first?

Also, isn't saying you will use your "most creative minds" to improve the site and then wishing "amazing former Neopets team members" the best a bit of a contradiction - they were "amazing" but not "creative" enough?
Neopets wishlists: here
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Hi Daisy!
Daisy wrote:(How can they make anything of any substance without the old staff to provide continuity in the story and essence of Neopets - the nods to previous events, in jokes and so on? Won't it all be just pretty pictures with no substance?)
Yep... the site will carry on, but you've just watched its soul and charm walk out of the door.

I do have some respect for Mr. Lord for actually bothering to address the fanbase personally (I don't know how big JS is but I'm guessing he could've found a lackey to do it), but that corporate babble about 'moving forward' really irritates me. All he's missing there is a bit of leveraging a paradigm and maybe some pushing the envelope or blue sky thinking to complete the set :-P Are these guys really too afraid to say to their users 'we'll be honest with you, this has gone wrong... but this is what we're going to do to fix it'. All these unspecific platitudes about establishing new goals sounds suspiciously like what they really mean is, 'we don't actually have a plan, we're hoping something will turn up'... or 'we have a plan, but you're really not going to like it'.

And again with the irony - just to the left of his post, the 'TNT ASPLODE' avatar :/

Now I'm genuinely interested to see what direction Neopets goes in, hopefully the people now running the site have the guts to keep us informed.
Last edited by Kantark on 10 Mar 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

I'll be convinced of Mr. Lord's sincerity when Gelert Day and new content actually shows up in the news and not a minute before.
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

I am not ready to say goodbye. My Neopet turned 15 years old last month. Older than I was when I started playing.

But without ANY of the staff, what hope can be had? New employees can't even mine the site for info, it's very broken. It's been months since I've really played.

But I will miss it so, so much. I know other things have risen and fallen, but Neopets kept carrying on, like some weird juggernaut of childhood.

I now have a real job and live with my boyfriend and I'm just not ready for this. Dammit.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

This makes 2007 Meepitapocalypse look tame and the worst is that people are reassured and things will be fine and dandy after this was posted, but they'll grow disenchanted so bad with no COMPETENT content staff.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I was super optimistic during the meepitapocalypse, so is it a good thing or a bad thing that I'm thinking, "come on, they're a big company, they must have competant staff, right? maybe it will be even better?"

I'm guessing it's a bad thing and I'll be eating those words very quickly.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Well Madge, they did have a bunch of job openings just after the layoffs!

in India.

So it's pretty much just outsourcing, to have cheaper costs, and when you outsource, you either

a) Want the most bang for your buck, because you don't wanna spend a lot

b) Want to spend the minimum, so you won't ask for much.

ANYWAY, MARCH 10TH, STILL NO GELERT DAY.